Various hockey concepts...

elliott

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Allright, I've been in the mood for a little hockey, so I'll just be throwing a few ideas out here for the next few days, nothing major, just a few concepts for fun (no rebrands).

I like the direction the Flyers are going with orange. But I'm not incredibly fond of either of the templates they use. So I went sort of the minimalist route here, just 2 simple stripes is the overall theme. I know the chest stripe is kinda a Canadians thing, but oh well.

Flyers2009.gif

I like the flyer idea, but I think that the final stroke on the numbers needs to be one of the 2 colors that wrap around the waist. I think it would feel more seamless and clean and not so busy.

- Use the Fisherman as the primary

- Change the number font! The one you have now is terrible man

- Why only 3 stripes on the home and away? Why not make it 4 to signify the number of cups they won like they currently do with their shoulder logos

beLEAF

I like the flyer idea, but I think that the final stroke on the numbers needs to be one of the 2 colors that wrap around the waist. I think it would feel more seamless and clean and not so busy.

That would probably look better, you are right. I included the white outline originally on the white jersey to mimic the white outline around the crest logo, but it doesn't really translate that well to orange jersey

- Use the Fisherman as the primary

- Change the number font! The one you have now is terrible man

- Why only 3 stripes on the home and away? Why not make it 4 to signify the number of cups they won like they currently do with their shoulder logos

I'm actually interested here, what don't you like about standard block? It's just a basic block font with a drop shadow to connect with the primary, did you mean that it doesn't look good in the context of the concept? Because block font isn't really terrible.

That might be a good idea with the 4 stripes, i might try something with that motif, the one thing I'm not crazy about with the 4 stripes is that if they ever win another cup it will be pretty pointless, but I think it could work here, if silver is dropped from the striping.

I'm surprised that you guys would like to see more of the fisherman, I always thought it was kinda a goofy identity, so I used the lighthouse motif the most. I wanted to move away from the fisherman and use it rarely (here only on the shoulders). Anyhow, thanks for the quick influx in comments :).

Moving on to the Blues, I wanted to update the primary to give it a sleek look. I tweaked the shape, putting a bold pointed serif on the front, and made 3 "wings" instead of 4. A white outline has been deleted, highlighting the yellow much more. Comparison:

blues_comparison.gif

Along with that, I broke out a new secondary, which is an interlocked STL in the general style of the Cardinals, but I tried to make it interlock very cohesively. The alternate logo brings in the arch featured in the all-star game logo, but I changed it slightly and worked it in with the note. Here is a bigger view of how the logos look on the jerseys...

blues_logos.gif

The jerseys feature the "music score" striping they used to have, but it's brought back in a much different way, very simple arm striping with a small amount of yellow on the edges. The number font matches the logo outlines exactly, I had an idea this second of italicizing the numbers, so I may or may not do that, but for now it isn't italicized. The alternate jersey messes with the striping a little bit, deleting the outer stripes and minimizing white, focusing on the contrast between the two blues with yellow.

blues_h.gif

blues_a.gif

blues_alt.gif

Ok, that's the Blues, comments welcome, I am pondering an Islanders update so expect that. The next concept will be the Pens, complete rebrand, should be interesting. A new development is that I have been working on a Capitals design (partial rebrand), so these concepts will be going on longer than I expected. Thanks for viewing! :)

Damn, I really liked that Blues set until you said that swallow thing! Now it's all I can see!

Islanders: Super nice, probably my second favorite Islanders concept I've seen (behind GFB), the lighthouse works great, and I love the little waves. Not digging the little orange swooshes? on the sleeves.

Blues: Fix that little front note on the primary, and I don't understand the one next to it. Why is it blue-white stroke-yellow stroke when the first one is blue-yellow stroke-navy stroke? Make 'em the same. I like the idea behind the STL, but something isn't doing it for me. I think it's the L, it's a bit hard to see and it all looks kinda cluttered. LOVE the unis though, those alts are kickass.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Damn, I really liked that Blues set until you said that swallow thing! Now it's all I can see!

Islanders: Super nice, probably my second favorite Islanders concept I've seen (behind GFB), the lighthouse works great, and I love the little waves. Not digging the little orange swooshes? on the sleeves.

Blues: Fix that little front note on the primary, and I don't understand the one next to it. Why is it blue-white stroke-yellow stroke when the first one is blue-yellow stroke-navy stroke? Make 'em the same. I like the idea behind the STL, but something isn't doing it for me. I think it's the L, it's a bit hard to see and it all looks kinda cluttered. LOVE the unis though, those alts are kickass.

Thanks, Lol, that's just a comparison of my logo to the current logo, the one with a white stroke isn't actually part of the concept.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for the point out the front of the note. All I can see now is a swallow carrying a coconut (but is it African or a European?!)

LMAO!!!

Its not a matter of that, Its the airspeed velocity that we are concerned about.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for the point out the front of the note. All I can see now is a swallow carrying a coconut (but is it African or a European?!)

I'm laughing as I write this...

Anyway, you definitely need to work on the logo. It's a musical note and your logo doesn't really support that...at all. The sweaters themselves are very nice, though.

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

The ongoing quotes of Monty Phython has made my day.

As for the concept, me thinks that if you were to remove the serif from the note, it looks great. I love the updated striping on the sleeves. Maybe a little yellow in the home and away socks. The StL patch looks cluttered, but I love the simplified alternate logo, I think that would make a better sleeve patch than the StL.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

blues_logos_2.gif

I have updated the Blues logos. You guys were very right about the serif thing, this one looks way better without it. On the shoulder logo, I just dropped the T to make it be a little less busy, and I put the arch as the backdrop in navy, the alternate keeps the arch with the interlock instead of a backdrop. Sooo...that's about it, Penguins will be up later today or maybe tomorrow, I have a weird feeling that no one is going to like the Penguins, but hopefully you will see it for what it is: something new.

The jerseys are updated below with the correct logos...

Home | Road | Alt

I really don't like the jerseys. The striping seems weird and not matching between the home and roads. The stripes should be primarily yellow and dark blue on the homes, and lighter blue and yellow on the aways.

The logos are money though. I just don't like how the arches don't match on the second and third logos.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Howzit, I'm happy to present the Pens, although I don't know how this is going to be received. I know it's late on the East coast, but i'm in the west, so I figured I'd post it anyway.

The first thing you will notice is the new logos. I originally planned for the dramatic image of a penguin with its head up, so you would see it's beak sticking straight up, but it looked funky so I used a profile view. I tried for a accurate penguin in terms of body anatomy, but Penguins are pretty damn fat, so I thinned it up and stylized it in ways that a real penguin doesn't actually look like. But, it's a logo, so it's just some creative liberties I guess. Plus, this logo looks waaay more like a real penguin then the current one does. The triangle motif stays but I divided it to split yellow and white. I put the arms up on the logo because it looked boring with the arms down, just sittin around.

The secondary logo isn't my first idea. Originally I had a puck with ice on it, like it was frozen, with the ice cracking off. But, it wasn't rendered in exactly the way I had envisioned, and I didn't think it represented the team too well. So, I settled on an igloo. I haven't seen too many teams use an igloo, so it's sorta unique. I tried to put some yellow in there in the same style as the penguin itself. The wordmarks accompany it.

Speaking of wordmarks, I started with a font but came up with some custom beveling/shading. I included every number so you guys can see what that looks like. The "Penguins" mark has sort of a wave to it. Because of the two (well, three counting the deleted one) logos and the custom fontage, this concept took longer than any other one I can remember.

The jerseys are actually based on what they wore in the early 90s. I always like that striping pattern on the waist, so that was kept in mind, although it is different. It's got plenty of yellow in it (which hopefully you had noticed by now, no vegas gold, I've always thought it was too dull), and the white and black is evenly divided to go along with the yellow. The alternate is based off the pre-edge jerseys, but you will notice that the triangles (especially on the sides) matches the logo backdrop triangle exactly.

Wow, that was a lot of talking, so, give me some feedback, I'm anxiously awaiting the response because it is such a huge departure from the norm! I'm kinda nervous! Haha.

PensRebrand_logos.gif

PensRebrand_h.gif

PensRebrand_a.gif

PensRebrand_alt.gif

I actually really like the wordmarks, they're unique.

The primary logo needs work. I think there's too much white, usually only penguins stomachs are white, but you have his whole body and wings white with black accents for shadows. The wings could be a bit thicker (as in more depth, or width, whatever you wanna call it, they're too thin) and they don't really look like fists, they look like black holes at the ends of his arms. I think you could lose a couple of the accents (particularly around the neck) and just make it cleaner in that area.

Like the idea behind the secondary, something's off on it though, just can't put my finger on it. I think you could have just the penguin head as a tertiary too.

Great work as always, and good job on the Blues update.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived