The Trifecta Competition

JayJaxon

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to eRay, elliot, 1stdowncreative, and raysox for submitting. Still hoping to get a few more.

ANNOUNCEMENT: I haven't talked to Jay about it, but it's an idea I've been kicking around for a little bit, and I think it'd be great for the final round. Instead of the judges deciding on winners, I'm gonna make this a democracy and let the PEOPLE decide on who moves on.

SO

Anyone with over 50 posts can vote, contestants may vote but not for themselves, and here's the format I'd like everyone to do it in.

1st. -

2nd. -

3rd. -

Each first place vote will get 3 points, second place 2 points, and third place 1 point. Good luck to all, I'll post the submissions relatively soon.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

philroy presents the Toronto Maple Leafs

Colours: Nothing much happening here. I kept the Leafs blue, and added (or brought back) a silver/gray as an accent colour.

Primary Logo: The team name doesn?t leave a whole lot of room for interpretation. As a result, the primary logo is still a blue and white maple leaf. I tried to create a leaf that was different enough to differentiate it from past Leaf logos, but would still fit in with its predecessors. My research said that the team name was derived from the name of the regiment that team owner Conn Smythe belonged to during WWI. That led to photos of old Canadian military regimental crests, and images of the headstones of Canadian soldiers The smaller branches on the bottom of my maple leaf, and the stem bent to one side, are both inspired by the maple leaf that is engraved on those headstones. The font is similar to the existing Leafs font, but didn?t start out that way. It?s a custom font with elements added to reflect the current Leafs font (the slanted lines on the T, E, L). The maple leaf has 13 points on it ? matching the 13 Stanley Cups won by the Toronto NHL franchise (11 as the Leafs; one each as the St. Pats and Arenas).

Secondary Logo: Pretty straight-forward: the CN Tower is a symbol of Toronto, and makes up the base of a ?T? on a shield. The Toronto Arenas logo served as inspiration here.

Wordmark: Again, pretty straightforward: the font is the same custom font as the primary logo, as is the elements of the maple leaf. The current Leafs logo makes up the centers of the As.

Uniforms: I kept things traditional, using the six-stripe pattern found on the Leafs socks as inspiration for the sleeve stripes (reduced it to three stripes, but kept similar proportions). The gray/silver outlines the numbers, to remain consistent with its use on the primary and secondary logos. For the alternate, I wanted to stay traditional, but also throwback to the Leafs past. The chest striping is meant to reflect the uniforms worn by the Toronto St. Pats (which the Leafs have used as throwbacks a couple of times over the past few years).

Maple Leafs logo sheet

Maple Leafs home uniform

Maple Leafs away uniform

spacer.png

raysox presents the Detroit Red Wings

I added 2 new colours to the teams pallate... maroon, and gold

I kept the idea of a winged wheel, but updated it. I made new wings, and the wheel is 3d compared to the 2 d one they use now. The secondary is a simple winged D. The tertiary is one that I really like. It's a patch that says Hockey Town with an Octopus. Then the script is a modified Aachen.

The jerseys are different from the current ones. I made sort of a pre-edge design. The alternate is based off this past year's Winter Classic jerseys. I put the D logo as the crest as opposed to the Old english D they used.

Enjoy.

-raysox

Red Wings logo sheet

Red Wings uniforms

spacer.png

eRay presents the Los Angeles Lakers

For this concept all I wanted to do was create a look that feels like it has been around for a while. I didn't take much inspiration from the team itself because I didn't know how much was too much. I just kind of pretended the team didn't exist, which was fun as a Celtics fan. I was pretty much trying to create a simple, classic look that gives the team a new look. This is not my best concept, and it was really hard to get going on it, but it was fun. Thanks

Lakers logo sheet

Lakers home uniform

Lakers away uniform

spacer.png

elliot presents the Toronto Maple Leafs

Hello, I got a second chance with the wild card, so hopefully I put the chance to good use, I had no intention of trying the Yankees or Celtics because I just wasn't up for it, so I decided to go with the sport I am most comfortable with, hockey. The Maple Leafs seemed like the right choice because they are a franchise with a lot of tradition, especially in terms of their simple color scheme, but also a franchise that has experimented with things like new logos and adding modern elements like silver. So here is a brief description of what I did:

Colors-I tweaked the blue color a little and added what I will call graphite, because I know you Toronto/Jays fans love your graphite, lol. Actually it is almost the exact gray that is smack dab in the middle of black and white, so it is versatile, you can see it on dark or light backdrops.

Logos-Everything is completely new, a new rendering of the leaf in front of a T, with ML on the sides and hockey sticks crossing to complete the crest. The TML is a custom font. A partial is included, along with a tertiary logo that is the flag, with the silhouette of what you will hopefully recognize as the CN tower in toronto. It was kinda hard to show because it is so tall, so I had to cut off a lot. A pretty modern script logo finishes the set.

Jerseys-I tried to show the edge style with no hem stripes, and throw back to retro days with the shoulder yoke. My favorite part ended up being the arm striping. It's kinda an unexpected change from home to away, you expect the white to be replaced by blue, but it stays the same, therefore exactly emulating the logo. The alt is a lot of graphite with a simple striping scheme, spiced up by the maple leaf pattern, and the partial logo on the chest.

That's about it, I hope you like it.

Maple Leafs logo sheet

Maple Leafs home/away uniforms

Maple Leafs alternate uniform

spacer.png

burgundyskins presents the New York Yankees

I decided to take on the New York Yankees, and give them a redesign. A name like Yankees doesn't lend itself to a modern look, so I decided to keep their look very classic, but take it in a different direction. First to go was the pinstripes. They're just too representative of the old era, and the slate needed to be wiped clean. I also decided to include a bit of red in their alternate and BP jerseys, because if the Yankees are supposed to represent America, then they should display all of the colors, at least in part. I took a few liberties with the BP Jersey, and decided to give it some modern flair.

Yankees logo sheet

Yankees uniforms

spacer.png

Archived