The Trifecta Competition

JayJaxon

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gah, I am clueless on a team name.

Any ideas are appreciated.

For the Tampa Bay NBA team? How about the Typhoons or the Tide? I don't know, something with water sounds cool for an NBA franchise.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Drew and Cap, don't worry about it. Those things happen. TalktoChuck, feel free to take the Jacksonville MLB team if you like.

I have been doing a bit of traveling myself. I will organize everything and try to find out who I still need in the next hour or so. The ones that have been turned in already will be in black on page 1.

I will try and get mine to you tommarow but I'm not sure yet, I havent had much time to work on it because I've been piled on by schoolwork too, I have part of it finished but we'll just have to see if I have the time to finish it tommarow. I'm really sorry if I cant get it too you. If I cant do the NFL I'll try and let you know sooner but I may have some time to do it.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Now for the Round 1 presentations. First I would like to thank everyone that participated in Round 1. I am going to post the entries one at a time, and the order I post these have nothing to do with how the judges will decide. The truth is, a decision hasn't been made yet. I posted them in links so the page will load faster. Feel free to comment and discuss to your hearts content. Now for the first concept:

Elliott presents the Carolina Hounds

Team Name: After doing some research I found that the state dog of North Carolina was the hound. I thought that it might make an interesting logo, and I've never rendered any dogs, so I went for it. The team would be based in downtown Raleigh NC, hopefully with a field right near the RBC center. Which brings me to the next thing...

Colors: Since it is based in Raleigh, I went with the red and black scheme that is seen in NC ST and the Hurricanes. I wasn't going to go with any blue used by rivals in the other two points of the Research Triangle. The medium tone brown is the addition to these two colors, as you can see it is only used in the actual dog.

Logos: First I'll talk about the dog itself, obviously there are many types of hounds, which ranges from the basset hound to the greyhound, and I tried to keep in mind both of these two breeds. The basset hound is too unintimidating, and I thought the same thing of the greyhound, so I used a face similar to the basset, just shorter ears, and a thinner body that is not quite as thin as a greyhound. So it is a sort of hybrid-hound, I'm sure there is some type that looks similar to this, I don't really know. It isn't extremely daunting but I didn't feel like using a rabid dog. smile.gif The primary is the full dog standing on home plate over the wordmark. The cap logos include a partial dog and an interlocked CH. I tried to make the wordmarks modern but not overly so, and very bold, too.

Jerseys: For the home and away I kept the piping classic, nothing major. On the home I focused on red, the road has shift to more black with the hat and socks, which seems to be a more popular trend in the mlb (brighter colors at home, darker at away). The alternate tries to capture the contrast between red and black, separated by white, with the dog head making an appearance. Finally, the bp is pretty basic, just simple side panels on black.

I hope you like it. Thanks for viewing.

Carolina Hounds Logo Sheet 1

Carolina Hounds Logo Sheet 2

Carolina Hounds Uniforms

nynewkid Presents the Buffalo Navigators

Buffalo is a town that owes it's life to the Niagra River, Lake Erie and the Erie Canal. All the shipping from these bodies of water helped fuel Buffalo to become known as the "Queen City", the second biggest city on the Great Lakes next to Chicago.

The Navigators name comes from the brave sailors, captains and other merchants who brought Buffalo to prominence.

The blue and gold is colors that the New York State Canal Systems parent company Thruway Authority.

The crown is a homage to the "Queen City" nickname.

I did not want to include any references to buffaloes, bison or any other large bovines as is typical of Buffalo teams.

Buffalo Navigators Home Uniform

Buffalo Navigators Road Uniform

nynewkid Presents the Buffalo Navigators

Buffalo is a town that owes it's life to the Niagra River, Lake Erie and the Erie Canal. All the shipping from these bodies of water helped fuel Buffalo to become known as the "Queen City", the second biggest city on the Great Lakes next to Chicago.

The Navigators name comes from the brave sailors, captains and other merchants who brought Buffalo to prominence.

The blue and gold is colors that the New York State Canal Systems parent company Thruway Authority.

The crown is a homage to the "Queen City" nickname.

I did not want to include any references to buffaloes, bison or any other large bovines as is typical of Buffalo teams.

Buffalo Navigators Home Uniform

Buffalo Navigators Road Uniform

Gah! That road jersey isn't as good as I remember it!

williamrhys Presents the Indianapolis Crossroads

I've never attempted a baseball concept before, and didn't know much about the various cities, so I chose Indianapolis at random. Having looked through the various imagery associated with the city the most obvious choice seemed to be something to do with the Indy 500. However, I tried to stay away from this, as it seems stupid to brand one sport using the history and imagery of another. I found the phrase "Crossroads of America" and after doing some research decided this was a unique identity, and still retained a little of the motoring aspect of the Indy 500. So I give you the Indianapolis Crossroads!

The logo uses a stylised crossroads sign, and the I chose the colours to reflect those of the two other big teams in the city, the Pacers and the Colts, and because the combination is one I haven't often seen in baseball. I wanted to keep the logo very simple, and I think it could become quite iconic in a traditional sense, but with a modern aesthetic and rendering. The choice of a modern, bold sans-serif typeface was to compliment the logo and reinforce the simple yet bold imagery.

I wanted something fresh for the uniforms, so used the large logo on the home jerseys. This is an attempt at taking the script-less jerseys of the Yankees or Cubs a step further, and again create something unique and iconic. The road and alternate jerseys use more of a traditional style, but I hope the bright colours help them stand out.

Indianapolis Crossroads Logo Sheet

Indianapolis Crossroads Uniforms

Chickenfish13 Presents the San Antonio Alamo

OK, here goes: First of all, the team is called the San Antonio Alamo. This is where I feel I may get docked votes. The contest said be creative, so I tried to come up with a creative name. For those of you who don't know, the Alamo was a battle in San Antonio, and is also a roman mission. The team name is Alamo, not Alamo's, because there weren't 2 battles, just 1. I thought about going with mission, or missionaries, but I think Alamo relates to San Antonio better. Now that that is out of the way, here is an explanation on the logos. The primary is a stylized cannon, in front of the Alamo mission. The mission represents the Alamo mission (obviously), and the cannon represents the Battle of Alamo. The Alamo building is half blue, and half red, which is their city flag. The star in the middle is also on their flag. The secondary ( used on one cap and a jersey) is just the cannon. The 2 main cap logos are an S and an A with a swoosh that represents the ball being shot out of the cannon. There are 2 because of the colors, they needed to be changed to be seen on the caps and jerseys. I tried to keep the jerseys simple, and so there is not much to explain. This was my first complete baseball concept, and I don't care if I get any votes, I just enjoyed doing it, and had fun with it. And for any history buffs, I dont know if I got all the background info on the Alamo right, I just read it over in Wikipedia. tongue.gif

San Antonio Alamo Logo Sheet

San Antonio Alamo Uniforms

Firefly Presents the Sacramento Bonanzas

"I wanted to challenge myself as I haven't done a full MLB concept yet. Sacramento was deceptively tough to get a handle on. 5 MLB teams in the same state and numerous other sports teams covering Californian subjects. Former teams with names that wouldn't seem to translate well to the MLB (Solons, Senators, Rivercats). And the city itself being known as much for serial killers as much as anything else in modern times. I decided I ought to go with the whole damn reason the city exists at all: gold!

Sac town wasn't a twinkle in anyone's eye when gold was discovered near Sutter's mill. The gold rush, a bonanza of epic proportions, drove a flood of humanity to the Golden State. The transcontiental railway, telegraph line, and the Pony Express all converged on Sacramento.

I chose to celebrate that here with Pappy the Prospector and a wordmark that practically sounds like a player piano. The Bo's look ready to become a heated rival with the A's."

-Firefly

Sacramento Bonanzas Logo Sheet

Sacramento Bonanzas Uniforms

Archived