The Trifecta Competition

JayJaxon

I want to know about the possible offender too. You can always post it up and preface it with something saying you aren't sure, but you have an odd feeling or something. Somebody will be able to track something down and it'll get figured out.

Okay, well like I said- I don't like to wrongly accuse anyone of something like this...so no harm meant at all, but TalkToChuck's shark logo looks very familiar. I feel like I have seen it during a Google search or something before. Again, only so many way to design and position a shark...so I don't want to accuse- but it just looked very familiar or maybe I had a case of deja vu when I looked at it.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does look familiar, but like you said, there's only so many ways to render a shark. That's a pretty common position for shark logos, I'm not sure we can say he's really ripping anything off unless someone comes up with a very related picture.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Yeah, TalkToChuck seems to be a reputable guy, I'd say for now it seems unintentional. I reckon if I was to make a shark logo it would end up looking similar to that too.

I can see why you guys would think it looks familar. When I started sketching out the shark, I loosely based my shark off a couple different pictures (a drawing off a shark, and an actual picture of a shark) and went from there. I proabaly didn't do enough to distinguish (spelling?) it from the references and I apolgize for that. I wasn't trying to rip off a desgin or anything like that. This a great competition and I apologize for taking away from all the great designers in this. And also I'm going to drop out of the NBA spot I have filled (San Diego). I feel it would be best for the competition (get some fresh blood in here) and also I have a lot going on right now, with graduation next week and I'm working on some other projects. I don't think I have enough time or effort for the NBA spot.

jNTsTyQ.png

I can see why you guys would think it looks familar. When I started sketching out the shark, I loosely based my shark off a couple different pictures (a drawing off a shark, and an actual picture of a shark) and went from there. I proabaly didn't do enough to distinguish (spelling?) it from the references and I apolgize for that. I wasn't trying to rip off a desgin or anything like that. This a great competition and I apologize for taking away from all the great designers in this. And also I'm going to drop out of the NBA spot I have filled (San Diego). I feel it would be best for the competition (get some fresh blood in here) and also I have a lot going on right now, with graduation next week and I'm working on some other projects. I don't think I have enough time or effort for the NBA spot.

Can I grab that spot?

No way man, like I said- I hated to even bring it up because I think you're a solid poster and have seen you put out some solid things. I just had THOUGHT I had seen that same image (and even in same colors for some reason) of a shark somewhere so I wanted to bring it up although I was skeptical of my own recollection. If you sketched it from a few photos then I see no problem with that as I myself, and I believe many designers, go to actual photos (especially regarding animals) when aiming at a starting point. Didn't mean for you to consider leaving the competition. More the better if you ask me.

No way man, like I said- I hated to even bring it up because I think you're a solid poster and have seen you put out some solid things. I just had THOUGHT I had seen that same image (and even in same colors for some reason) of a shark somewhere so I wanted to bring it up although I was skeptical of my own recollection. If you sketched it from a few photos then I see no problem with that as I myself, and I believe many designers, go to actual photos (especially regarding animals) when aiming at a starting point. Didn't mean for you to consider leaving the competition. More the better if you ask me.

No worries Cola. I completely understand, and if put in the same postition I would've done the same thing. But yeah, I'm going to have to drop the San Diego NBA spot, as I don't think I'll have enough time to complete it. I have a lot going on with graduation and everything.

jNTsTyQ.png

Just a reminder to all that are in the NFL round, you have less than a week to go!

TalktoChuck, sorry to hear you won't have any time for the NBA round. I'll clear your sport for someone else.

Just a reminder to all that are in the NFL round, you have less than a week to go!

TalktoChuck, sorry to hear you won't have any time for the NBA round. I'll clear your sport for someone else.

Can I grab that spot?

Can I grab that spot?

Yes you can.

Deadline for the NFL round is fast approaching. I have not received a lot of entries yet. There is not much time left.

eRay Presents the New Orleans Crawdads

"I wanted to create a team with a unique MLB color scheme, and a name that fit the city well. Crawdads gave me the opportunity to achieve both of those things with ease. The logo is a Crawdad wrapped around a baseball, but the Crawdad is also in the shape of a crescent, since Nawlins is the Crescent City. The idea behind the jersey wordmarks was to create something unique to the MLB, an arched connected script. I thought this could separate them from teams that used arched wordmarks and teams that used connected script wordmarks. The cap logo is a simple interlocking NO(for New Orleans), the same letters used in the wordmarks. I toyed around with many different alternate logos, but settled on using the primary logo and cap logo only, that way none of the logos competed with each other for attention and a strong brand could be made. Thanks."

New Orleans Crawdads Logo Sheet

New Orleans Crawdads Home Uniform

New Orleans Crawdads Road Uniform

New Orleans Crawdads Home Alternate

New Orleans Crawdads Road Alternate

I really like how this concept, with the simplistic logo and that home alt, actually seems like it might have been an actual team in the 70's or 80's.

1909.png1925.png1960.png1971.png1979.png

1991copycopy.png

Round 2 is over! Thanks to everyone that participated. Round 3 is officially begun and all NBA concepts will be due May 30th. I will be posting the entries from the NFL round shortly.

Sorry if I'm intruding Jay, but I'll just go ahead and post the few entries we have...

1stdowncreative presents the San Antonio Swift

"Team Name: San Antonio Swift. With the other professional sports team being the Spurs in the San Antonio area, I wanted to keep the same beginning with ?S? in the area in the Football category. Known for its fast speed and cunning behavior, I chose the fox as the team mascot for the new San Antonio sports team.

Colors: Burnt Orange (#CC6600) ? A Deep Orange shade, Silver (#C0C0C0) - A metallic shade resembling gray, Black (#000000), White (#FFFFFF). The Swift will use the Black, Silver, and White of the Spurs Professional Sports team in addition to a burnt orange color ? a color known to Texas sports.

Logos: The Primary logo for the Swift consists of a side profiled Fox head, with bushy hair and displaying the burnt orange color on the top of its head with a white color on the snout and top chest area. The Wordmark is primarily burnt orange with a think black outline and has a shear to it to display speed and the letter forms bring over the bushiness of the fur into them. The Secondary logo is the letters SA to display the 2 letters of the city name in the same style as the wordmark.

Uniforms: The Home jerseys of the Swift will be primarily black, with White for Away Games. The corrosponding Spurs wear Black jerseys and White Jerseys as well. The sleeves are contrast colored to the jersey and are seperated by a jagged seperation to match the bushiness of the foxes coat. The helmet will be Black with a burnt orange stripe down the center with the primary fox logo on the sides, both facing forward. The pants are contasted to the jerseys with a burnt orange jagged stripe that tappers down the sides."

San Antonio Swift logo sheet

San Antonio Swift uniforms

San Antonio Swift action

spacer.png

burgundyskins presents the Utah Knockers

"The name "Knockers" comes from the old knockers of Cornish folklore who were said to inhabit the mines, and if treated well would lead the miners to pockets of good ore, and warn of impending collapse. If mistreated, they could be vindictive and lead miners to danger. In America they may be more recognized by the name of "tommyknockers". With the populous of Utah having a high British ancestry, and a history of mining copper and coal, it seemed a logical fit.

The colors for the team are Azure, Copper, Coal, and White. The color Azure is for the azurite that often indicates the presence of copper. The Copper and Coal are representative of the state's mining history.

The helmet is representative of a miner's helmet. The uniform stripes are inspired by pickaxes."

Utah Knockers logo sheet

Utah Knockers uniforms

spacer.png

chickenfish13 presents the Portland Crossers

"Team Name: OK, I looked on wikipedia and other sites, and found some nicknames for Portland. One of them is Stumptown, because in 1847 many trees were being cut down, but the stumps werent being removed. Citizens eventually had to paint the stumps white, to be able to see them. I chose Crossers, because people used the stumps to cross over the mud.

Colors: I chose Brown, Green, and White. Brown and green, because they are earthly colors, and because no team in the NFL currently uses them. I chose white because the citizens of the city painted the stumps white.

Logos: The Primary is a circle, with mud at the bottom. There are 4 stumps coming out of the mud. There tops have been painted white. A football is crossing the stumps, with motion lines behind it. Behind all this is the Skyline of Portland ( I looked it up happy.gif). Then, the name Crossers is arched at the top, and Portland above that. The secondaries are a P and a C along with a birds eye view of the stump. There are 2 because of the recoloring needed to be visible on the helmets.

Jerseys: I dont normally design Jerseys, and especially not football jerseys. I tried to go with something simple.

There thats all. Thanks for viewing my entry."

Portland Crossers logo sheet

Portland Crossers uniforms

spacer.png

Archived