NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

Well. Yep.

Do what you will Lee.

Still proud of 'em.

Of course, the Blues should have won this game, as a goal was very clearly taken from them. No complaints though, it's over now.

Yes they should have. 0/3 on the PP in OT, including a double minor. After Kesler got the double minor, I thought the Blues were going to score but they couldn't really get much going. Special teams were definitely the difference in the series along with Luongo.

Yep. But I think less specifically than that, it was experience that did the Blues in.

I mean, the Canucks had very average special teams coming into the series. The Blues had a great PK and a good PP.

What changed? The Canucks had the playoff intensity from the get go, and even after our young guys found the intensity, they still weren't quite playing the same as we had seen before. You could tell they felt the pressure.

The Canucks wern't much more experienced than the Blues. Quite a few players on the Canucks were making their playoff debuts like Raymond, Edler, Kesler. Plus the blues had two guys that had won a cup.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well. Yep.

Do what you will Lee.

Still proud of 'em.

Of course, the Blues should have won this game, as a goal was very clearly taken from them. No complaints though, it's over now.

Yes they should have. 0/3 on the PP in OT, including a double minor. After Kesler got the double minor, I thought the Blues were going to score but they couldn't really get much going. Special teams were definitely the difference in the series along with Luongo.

Yep. But I think less specifically than that, it was experience that did the Blues in.

I mean, the Canucks had very average special teams coming into the series. The Blues had a great PK and a good PP.

What changed? The Canucks had the playoff intensity from the get go, and even after our young guys found the intensity, they still weren't quite playing the same as we had seen before. You could tell they felt the pressure.

This kind of plays into the inexperience but, the Canucks goal was to not just get to the playoffs but, succeed in the playoffs. The Blues, on the other hand, their goal was to get to the playoffs and probably had a sense of accomplishment going into the series.

8prlQWA.png

I'm just glad it's not me involved in this. I can only imagine what you'd do to me, Leezy.

google "goatse"

On another, more serious note, the Penguins and Sharks won me $40 on a $10 bet. Thanks, Sports Action!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well. Yep.

Do what you will Lee.

Still proud of 'em.

The Canucks wern't much more experienced than the Blues. Quite a few players on the Canucks were making their playoff debuts like Raymond, Edler, Kesler. Plus the blues had two guys that had won a cup.

Yeah, but the Blues were debuting, Perron, Berglund, Oshie, Boyes, Backes, McClement, Steen, Woywitka, Crombeen, Colaiacovo, possibly more without looking at a roster.

Even guys who are considered "vets" on the Blues had never been there.

Good learning experience for them, but it stings right now.

I'm still hot about the no goal call & the way the linesmen were jacking around on face-offs & throwing guys out non-stop. I also can't wait to maybe have a squad with some actual defenders on the ice next season. I'm proud of the job they did & that will not change. I'm praying that the Canucks get Detroit next round though.

Lastly, how can it be that even after 10 years of the two-referee system, so many games are officiated so badly? It seems the extra ref hasn't improved anything.

I'm still hot about the no goal call & the way the linesmen were jacking around on face-offs & throwing guys out non-stop. I also can't wait to maybe have a squad with some actual defenders on the ice next season. I'm proud of the job they did & that will not change. I'm praying that the Canucks get Detroit next round though.

Lastly, how can it be that even after 10 years of the two-referee system, so many games are officiated so badly? It seems the extra ref hasn't improved anything.

Agreed. All #2 does is clog up the ice...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I disagree in a large way. But, I'll never win that argument, because you guys believe the stripes just get in the way anyway.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I disagree in a large way. But, I'll never win that argument, because you guys believe the stripes just get in the way anyway.

I understand the refs have a job to do, and that either way, they end up getting roasted. If they discounted that goal last night, Canes fans today would be screaming "Kill the ref". It's a lose-lose situation for the refs, but i honestly think that last night they missed that call, and it was a legitimate call they missed. I also think the game was fine with one ref. I do not see the need for another ref on the ice.

sB9ijEj.png

I have to agree with Mockba on this. If you have seen any other goaltender interference calls during the playoffs or late in the regular season, the goalies were either knocked down or clearly taken out of position. In no way was Brodeur taken down or interfered with so much he had no chance at the shot. If Brodeur was in his crease then maybe you guys would have more of a case to think you got "jobbed". Try to look at it from a non-Devils fan point of view.

Players these days need to toughen up, it's starting to get stupid with players whining at every little bump or tug.

8prlQWA.png

I have to agree with Mockba on this. If you have seen any other goaltender interference calls during the playoffs or late in the regular season, the goalies were either knocked down or clearly taken out of position. In no way was Brodeur taken down or interfered with so much he had no chance at the shot. If Brodeur was in his crease then maybe you guys would have more of a case to think you got "jobbed". Try to look at it from a non-Devils fan point of view.

Players these days need to toughen up, it's starting to get stupid with players whining at every little bump or tug.

The Hurricane player clearly ran into Brodeur, not the other way around. Even if he is out of his crease, that call is clear, and not only that, the ref said Brodeur had time to re-set himself, which he clearly did not. I'm not looking at it as a Devils fans, i'm simply looking at the facts and the rules of the game.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

sB9ijEj.png

Actually, I never passed judgment on the play, mostly because I haven't seen it. I just hate hearing how certain teams are hated by referees. It's silly.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Actually, I never passed judgment on the play, mostly because I haven't seen it. I just hate hearing how certain teams are hated by referees. It's silly.

I hear ya.

But you must understand that, especially in the playoffs, any team that has a bad call made against them will act like the persecuted. DO i think even during the regular season, the Devils get hosed? Yea, but there are some stats and history to back that up. I won't disagree with you that fans do play up the "refs hate us" angle, with me being very guilty of that.

sB9ijEj.png

The Hurricane player clearly ran into Brodeur, not the other way around. Even if he is out of his crease, that call is clear, and not only that, the ref said Brodeur had time to re-set himself, which he clearly did not. I'm not looking at it as a Devils fans, i'm simply looking at the facts and the rules of the game.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

I can't find any video proof to show that Jussi Jokinen purposely went into Brodeur. Brodeur came completely out of the crease and hit Jokinen with his back facing Brodeur. Even then that bump was 2 seconds before the winning goal was shot. Brodeur was already in position for the next shot, and could have saved it.

Just my opinion on the whole thing.

Hi, how are you?

A goalkeeper is not ?fair game? just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

Replay from TSN (starting at 1:11)

If you look closely at the replay, Jokinen is looking at the blue line to see if a shot will come, therefore one can argue that he couldn't see Brodeur in front of the blue paint. It wasn't a clear attempt from Jokinen, as you say. Therefore, since it's incidental contact, the referee has a choice whether to call it or not, and chose not to.

Also, Brodeur was back and in front of his net when the shot came, although I will give it to you that he didn't have much time to re-set himself. But this can also be debated...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

As a Devils fan, yesterday just completely angered me. (In fact, I have to buy a new remote seeing as the old one got launched across the room yesterday.) Looking back on the game now with a cooler head, we deserved to lose. You can't go down 3-0, especially in a playoff game. And this is from a team that just mere weeks ago was unstoppable. We've got to start playing better (I'm looking at you, Mr. Brodeur). Having just Parise, Elias, and Gionta give their all isn't going to cut it.

By the way, Rule 69 of the NHL rulebook states: "Incidental contact with a goaltender will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside the goal crease, PROVIDED THE ATTACKING PLAYER HAS MADE A REASONABLE EFFORT TO AVOID SUCH CONTACT."

As a Devils fan, yesterday just completely angered me. (In fact, I have to buy a new remote seeing as the old one got launched across the room yesterday.) Looking back on the game now with a cooler head, we deserved to lose. You can't go down 3-0, especially in a playoff game. And this is from a team that just mere weeks ago was unstoppable. We've got to start playing better (I'm looking at you, Mr. Brodeur). Having just Parise, Elias, and Gionta give their all isn't going to cut it.

By the way, Rule 69 of the NHL rulebook states: "Incidental contact with a goaltender will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside the goal crease, PROVIDED THE ATTACKING PLAYER HAS MADE A REASONABLE EFFORT TO AVOID SUCH CONTACT."

Well Brodeur skated forward into a player with his back towards him.

Hi, how are you?

Archived