Lee.

NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Well, I will say the Rangers came out and played a LOT better than I expected.

That first period, holding Washington to 2 shots, they didn't turn it over, they were forechecking, blocking the lanes, and all that. Arguably their best period of the season.

They were fortunate to get their goal, and were unfortunate that the Caps got a fluke off a couple of redirects.

And then the second period the Caps were so outplayed, yet the Rangers couldn't find the back of the net still.

And then the third period came, and the Caps just proved why they're the better team. A complete reversal of the first 40 minutes, they outplayed the Blueshirts, and it was only a matter of time before they came out victorious, which they did courtesy of Sergei Fedorov.

Losing is never fun, but I guess it's better than losing the way the Devils lost. And now the NHL has the series they will have no problem promoting that nobody who doesn't care about hockey will see anyway.

Well.. this is one of the more crushing defeats in franchise history...

Yes because the Devils and their fans have had it SO bad over the years. :rolleyes:

Never said the Devils and/or their fans had it bad, but other than Matteau, and the 2001 SCF loss, this right now is #3 in all time crushing playoff losses for me, as a Devils fan.

It hurts, believe me, as a Philly fan I know hurt. But Im sure 3 Cups in the last 14 years ultimately eases the pain somewhat.

Yes because the Devils and their fans have had it SO bad over the years. :rolleyes:

Never said the Devils and/or their fans had it bad, but other than Matteau, and the 2001 SCF loss, this right now is #3 in all time crushing playoff losses for me, as a Devils fan.

I know you're ranking YOU'RE OWN heartbreaking defeats, but the Devils won the Cup the year after Matteau and the year before losing in the 2001 SCF loss. You can't win it every year. The New Jersey Devils fans have had a lot to be thankful for that other fans of other teams haven't been even close to witnessing. Other than Red Wings fans, noone's had it easier in the last 15 years than Devils fans. I just hope you guys are aware of how lucky you truly are to witness a winning team year after year.

I know you're ranking YOU'RE OWN heartbreaking defeats, but the Devils won the Cup the year after Matteau and the year before losing in the 2001 SCF loss. You can't win it every year. The New Jersey Devils fans have had a lot to be thankful for that other fans of other teams haven't been even close to witnessing. Other than Red Wings fans, noone's had it easier in the last 15 years than Devils fans. I just hope you guys are aware of how lucky you truly are to witness a winning team year after year.

Just wait until the day Brodeur retires....then see how difficult it is to be in contention to win the Cup.

Just for kicks, I'm gonna throw out my second round predictions...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

#1 Boston vs. #6 Carolina - Hurricanes in 7

#2 Washington vs. #4 Pittsburgh - Capitals in 6

WESTERN CONFERENCE

#2 Detroit vs. #8 Anaheim - Red Wings in 4

#3 Vancouver vs. #4 Chicago - Blackhawks in 7

Why haven't you updated your sig?

I'm excited to face the Whalercanes, it would have nice to face NYR and get the big rivalry matchup but if I was going only on the actual team, this would be my top choice. 4-0-0 in the regular season, let's hope that holds up in postseason play! And apparently Bruins are underdogs now on this board, so let's go shock the world! :P

Wow what a way to end the season for the Devils. 80 seconds from advancing, then 45 seconds from elimination.

Wow.

Great pair of Game 7's tonight...

Round 2

Boston in 6

Washington in 7

Vancouver in 6

Homer pick: Ducks in 6

Realistic pick: Detroit in 7

That first period, holding Washington to 2 shots, they didn't turn it over, they were forechecking, blocking the lanes, and all that. Arguably their best period of the season.

They were fortunate to get their goal, and were unfortunate that the Caps got a fluke off a couple of redirects.

And then the second period the Caps were so outplayed, yet the Rangers couldn't find the back of the net still.

And then the third period came, and the Caps just proved why they're the better team. A complete reversal of the first 40 minutes, they outplayed the Blueshirts, and it was only a matter of time before they came out victorious, which they did courtesy of Sergei Fedorov.

Losing is never fun, but I guess it's better than losing the way the Devils lost. And now the NHL has the series they will have no problem promoting that nobody who doesn't care about hockey will see anyway.

Dude, stop quantifying a loss. You were up 2-0 going home and you lost the series, there is no excuse for that. Avery got suspended and then your brilliant *sarcasm* coach gets suspended. Seriously, how does anyone take Tortorella seriously? Hell, Barry Melrose has more credibilty than that joker. He sits there and tells Avery how to act and then pulls an "Avery" act? No credibility whatsoever. I figure we'll see him gone the day after Pittsburgh fires Bylsma in January next year. Did you really believe the crap that Tortorella was throwing out there about the pressure being on Washington? There was little pressure on Washington. New York, had all the pressure. They knew what would be coming if they lost. They live in New York. That's like saying the Red Sox or the Canadians have no pressure. Please. The Rangers would have had no pressure if they showed up after game 2. If they played so well in period 1 and got only one goal, and couldn't score in the second, did you really think they had a chance to win? They played admirably, but you don't wait until game 7 to play that way. This doesn't shock me, New York decided to sign Avery and well got him and all his glory and oh yeah, received the Avery curse as well. He'll screw you at the worst possible moment and the hockey gods will curse you until he's gone.

Dude, stop quantifying a loss. You were up 2-0 going home and you lost the series, there is no excuse for that. Avery got suspended and then your brilliant *sarcasm* coach gets suspended. Seriously, how does anyone take Tortorella seriously? Hell, Barry Melrose has more credibilty than that joker. He sits there and tells Avery how to act and then pulls an "Avery" act? No credibility whatsoever. I figure we'll see him gone the day after Pittsburgh fires Bylsma in January next year. Did you really believe the crap that Tortorella was throwing out there about the pressure being on Washington? There was little pressure on Washington. New York, had all the pressure. They knew what would be coming if they lost. They live in New York. That's like saying the Red Sox or the Canadians have no pressure. Please. The Rangers would have had no pressure if they showed up after game 2. If they played so well in period 1 and got only one goal, and couldn't score in the second, did you really think they had a chance to win? They played admirably, but you don't wait until game 7 to play that way. This doesn't shock me, New York decided to sign Avery and well got him and all his glory and oh yeah, received the Avery curse as well. He'll screw you at the worst possible moment and the hockey gods will curse you until he's gone.

What the hell are you talking about? Of course the Rangers choked. Hell, they had been 11-0 when leading 3-1 in their history. And what does any of this have to do with Tortorella's credibility? Sure he's a hypocrite, but does him being a hypocrite change the fact that ALL SEASON, well before he even arrived, they had trouble putting the puck in the net, which in the game last night, was the definition of "microcosm"? They were fortunate to have won games 2 and 4 putting up 1 and 2 goals respectively against the third highest scoring team in the league. But they maybe "won" 5 or 6 periods all series. Also, yeah, Avery did absolutely nothing to help them in games 1-6 and only hurt them (you have to admit though if you saw the game, last night he was by far the best forward the Rangers had out there...) but let's be honest, they were blown out in 2 of those games where it wouldn't have made a difference (he sat Game 5), 1 of them they lost 5-3 but it was 5-1 Caps at one point, again, Avery's antics probably irrelevant there.

Look, the Rangers totally blew it, despite the fact that Washington is far and away the better team. Hell, I was expecting a 6-2 type Caps blowout last night. And of course the pressure wasn't on Washington. What do you want Tortorella to say though? We're scared to death? We're 60 minutes away from a choke job? Come on...don't read into some stupid comment to the media.

Why haven't you updated your sig?

Maybe it's because updating it means accepting that the team I watched for the last seven months and enjoyed more than any other season of any team I've ever followed is actually over. It's a closure issue or maybe I'm lazy.

Nobody picking the pens. I like it.

No matter how many Cups the Devils have won, last night was soul-crushing. Nothing eases that.

Much like to this very day seeing Matteau makes me cringe, i wish Versus would stop playing that stupid ad with that play in it...