NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

Gentlemen-

With the 2008-09 NHL regular season at an end, I'm going to open this thread dedicated to all the post-season highjinks we've come to expect from the one sport that most Americans could care less about.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... let me get this straight... you marked the end of the NHL season by opening a postseason thread for the National Lacrosse League?

Now I'm confused, and apparently so is everyone else here, because they're still talking NHL. Besides, the NLL Champion's Cup playoffs are still a couple of weeks away. :P

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gentlemen-

With the 2008-09 NHL regular season at an end, I'm going to open this thread dedicated to all the post-season highjinks we've come to expect from the one sport that most Americans could care less about.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... let me get this straight... you marked the end of the NHL season by opening a postseason thread for the National Lacrosse League?

Now I'm confused, and apparently so is everyone else here, because they're still talking NHL. Besides, the NLL Champion's Cup playoffs are still a couple of weeks away. :P

Oh wow, La Crosse has an organizational and recreational league of some sort all to itself. Question is, which La Crosse town is the best? My money is on the one in Wisconsin :blink:

Gentlemen-

My original, funnier post was construed by some as being less than savory. Rather than defend myself against the humorless, I changed it.

ok here are my predictions: *pulls out post it notes*

San Jose vs Anaheim: San Jose in 6

Detroit vs Columbus: Detroit in 6

Vancouver vs St. Louis: St. Louis in 7

Chicago vs Calgary: Chicago in 5

Boston vs Montreal: Boston in 7

Washington vs NY: Caps in 5

NJ vs Carolina: Carolina in 7

Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia: Philly in 6

San Jose vs St. Louis: San Jose in 5

Detroit vs Chicago: Chicago in 7

Boston vs Carolina: Boston in 6

Washington vs Philly: Caps in 7 (i really agonized over this one, the series was so close last year)

San Jose vs Chicago: Chicago in 7 (Jumbo Joe fails to show once again and the plucky Hawks make it to their first Cup Final since 93)

Boston vs Washington: Caps in 7 (also agonized over this one)

Chicago vs Washington: Caps in 6 winning their first Stanley Cup! WOO!

And my playoff picks.

Boston-Montreal - Bruins in 5

Capitals-Rangers - Capitals in 6

Devils-Hurricanes - Carolina in 7

Penguins-Flyers- Penguins in 5

West:

Sharks-Ducks- Sharks in 7

Detroit-Columbus - Red wings in 5

Vancouver-St.Louis - Canucks in 7

Chicago-Calgary - Flames in 4

Eastern semis:

Boston vs. Carolina - Boston in 7 (Could go either way though)

Caps vs. Pens - Penguins in 4... (No way Theo holds up)

Western semis:

Sharks - Flames- Sharks in 6

Detroit - Vancoucer - Canucks in 7

Eastern final

Boston - Pittsburgh - Bruins in 7 (Again could go wither way,the Pens D isn't strong enough)

Western Final

Sharks - Canucks - Sharks in 6.

Final

Sharks - Bruins - Sharks in 7

Hopefully someone on the Sharks just drills Perry right off the bat

Are you talking about Mr. George "Cavalry Mustache" Perros? If so, Jody Shelley will do the job. Jody is a beast, sure wish the Jackets would have held onto him. He can hold his own over Boll anyday.

No, he's talking about Corey Perry... apparently Sharks fans have a problem with him. I don't see it but eh..

Plus, you can't talk trash on the 'Stache. You're just jealous of his stache and the presence it commands.

Shelley and George have had their fair share of bouts... I'm sure this won't be any different

I wonder how much playing time they will get though in the playoffs

Hopefully someone on the Sharks just drills Perry right off the bat

Are you talking about Mr. George "Cavalry Mustache" Perros? If so, Jody Shelley will do the job. Jody is a beast, sure wish the Jackets would have held onto him. He can hold his own over Boll anyday.

No, he's talking about Corey Perry... apparently Sharks fans have a problem with him. I don't see it but eh..

Plus, you can't talk trash on the 'Stache. You're just jealous of his stache and the presence it commands.

Shelley and George have had their fair share of bouts... I'm sure this won't be any different

I wonder how much playing time they will get though in the playoffs

I dont know.

Parros played in 5 games in 2007. That was mostly due to Minnesota having Derek Boogaard in the first round. He played in 3 games vs Minnesota and 2 against Vancouver.

Last year he played in one game against Dallas.

I guess it depends on how the tenor of the series goes and what each coach will try to establish.

If Carlyle thinks that Shelley might go after one our skill guys, Parros might play.

I think if Shelley plays, Parros will play, and vice versa for this series.

As either team advances, they might get one game or two but idk.

Although, George has improved his stick skills and his actual hockey play this season very dramatically. He had a career high with 5 goals, 5 assists, + 8. and 47 shots. And he has been playing just about every single game for the past 2 months, if I recall.

I think Parros would get significant playing time in round 1.

If the Ducks advance to round 2, it depends on who they play. If it's Detroit, I would suspect he'd be switched out for Ryan Carter. If it's Vancouver, he might play his fair share. If if was Chicago or Calgary, He would play, without a doubt.

I know Shelley is your heavyweight and all that, but I'm not too familiar with his stick skills. You could probably make your own predictions on that. I don't know how many of the Sharks would drop the gloves and take themselves off the ice if they felt they needed to challenge George. Thats another reason why George didn't have to play so much in 2007 or even last year, because the Ducks had a bunch of guys that while they were important role players, they'd be willing to fight and it not be a huge detriment to the team. This year there are a few, but none of them the best fighters in the world.

Round 1

East

(1) Boston Bruins vs (8) Montréal Canadiens - Boston in 6

(2) Washington Capitals vs (7) New York Rangers - Washington in 5

(3) New Jersey Devils vs (6) Carolina Hurricanes - New Jersey in 6

(4) Pittsburgh Penguins vs (5) Philadelphia Flyers - Philadelphia in 6

West

(1) San Jose Sharks vs (8) Anaheim Ducks - San Jose in 5

(2) Detroit Red Wings vs (7) Columbus Blue Jackets - Detroit in 6

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs (6) St.Louis Blues - Vancouver in 6

(4) Chicago Blackhawks vs (5) Calgary Flames - Calgary in 7

Round 2

East

(1) Boston Bruins vs (5) Philadelphia Flyers - Boston in 6

(2) Washington Capitals vs (3) New Jersey Devils - Washington in 6

West

(1) San Jose Sharks vs (5) Calgary Flames - San Jose in 6

(2) Detroit Red Wings vs (3) Vancouver Canucks - Red Wings in 7

Round 3

East

(1) Boston Bruins (2) Washington Capitals - Boston in 7

West

(1) San Jose Sharks vs (2) Detroit Red Wings - San Jose in 6

Stanley Cup Finals

San Jose Sharks vs Boston Bruins - San Jose in 6

I have a feeling a lot of people don't like Joe Thorton around here.

dont get me wrong, i like joe thornton and i think he is an elite player in the league, for 82 games a year.

I have a feeling a lot of people don't like Joe Thorton around here.

dont get me wrong, i like joe thornton and i think he is an elite player in the league, for 82 games a year.

Nice sig Don. I knew I should have waited for the Post to roll out with something amusing :)

Well that sucked.

People on CBS Sports were commentating saying that after the Caps pulled Theodore at the end, it was like he was already pulled

boy, it sure seems like the book on him is "shoot high glove!"

Not that the rest of the boards care, but Canucks 2-Blues 1.

We watched the entire game. It definitely wasn't the best of Canucks efforts (looked pretty sloppy the first two periods), but any wins are pretty in the playoffs.

Blues are going to be gunning on Friday.

Archived