NHL 2009 Super Special Playoff Edition Megathread

Lee.

I can't wait to attend my first Ranger playoff game in 12 years on Monday night at the Garden coming home up 2-0. Lundqvist was magnificent this afternoon.

Sadly, I was at the Garden on December 23rd when the Caps came back down 4-1 and won 5-4 in OT. If the Caps don't rally back to make this a series, then the regular season game was worth it for me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to say anything Cammalleri's incidence he was punished and that game was heated tied up at 1 and Havlat was running his mouth and also gave Olli Jokinen I believe a facewash for doing nothing earlier in the game.

Have you not watched a hockey game?

Those things happen every period of every game. An elbow to the head not so much.

Hi, how are you?

This Rangers-Capitals series reminds me of the Rangers-Thrashers series from a few years ago in so many ways. I smell a sweep coming up.

Bottom line, the SE Division Champs (ATL and currently DC) were/are simply being outplayed in all aspects.

I can't wait to attend my first Ranger playoff game in 12 years on Monday night at the Garden coming home up 2-0. Lundqvist was magnificent this afternoon.

Sadly, I was at the Garden on December 23rd when the Caps came back down 4-1 and won 5-4 in OT. If the Caps don't rally back to make this a series, then the regular season game was worth it for me.

I originally had tickets for that game but couldn't go because of travel, and, knowing this months in advance, had traded them to see Calgary come in and spank us 3-0 a couple of weeks before that...

But yeah that game was wild...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

This Rangers-Capitals series reminds me of the Rangers-Thrashers series from a few years ago in so many ways. I smell a sweep coming up.

Bottom line, the SE Division Champs (ATL and currently DC) were/are simply being outplayed in all aspects.

The Capitals aren't being outplayed in all aspects. Just goaltending. Henrik Lundqvist is playing out of his mind in net. And sorry to the Caps fans hanging round these part, but as long as he keeps it up, the Caps don't have a chance.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

The Capitals aren't being outplayed in all aspects. Just goaltending. Henrik Lundqvist is playing out of his mind in net. And sorry to the Caps fans hanging round these part, but as long as he keeps it up, the Caps don't have a chance.

no i disagree. we ARE being outplayed in more than just goaltending. even tho the score begs to differ. we were outplayed on defense as well. the Rangers had a TON of blocked shots. it wasnt just Lundqvist. it was also the Caps. i dont know any goalie that you can pound it through him from 40 ft with no one in front. the Caps did not do that. the scoresheet showed we outshot the Rangers, but Lundqvist was seeing EVERYTHING and when we finally did get that sense of urgency in the 3rd and started sending guys to the net, he came up with the big saves that were needed (something Theodore cant do). the Caps are gonna have to get to the net with consistency to get back into the series but unfortunately i dont see that happening this year. Rangers in 5 (being generous).

i know this is a complete about face on my part on my attitude of the team, but the team doesnt change their game for the playoffs. i was screaming during their losses where they got outplayed during the regular season that this team refuses to play dump and chase, hard working hockey. Ovechkin didnt look good at all today. Kozlov looked freakin awful. Semin sleep walked through this game. the defense played well, as i can see the message got through loud and clear. playing Varlamov today was not just a message to Theodore, but it was also a message to the D. they needed to step up, and they did. the forechecking game was there for the Caps, however they just refuse to go to the net, and its a shame, if they learned to do that they could be a real complete team, they just need that mentality. Chris Clark, where are you?!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I'm . . . I'm sorry? Did the Red Wings win again?

I believe it's eight goals to one, Red Wings. Where is this unbelievable goalie that would surpass Osgood with his talent?

I think it should be mentioned that Osgood has faced 46 shots; Mason 73. Also, 3 of the goals against tonight were on power plays. I guarantee if the keepers switched teams, their fortunes would as well.

I believe it's eight goals to one, Red Wings. Where is this unbelievable goalie that would surpass Osgood with his talent?

I think it should be mentioned that Osgood has faced 46 shots; Mason 73. Also, 3 of the goals against tonight were on power plays. I guarantee if the keepers switched teams, their fortunes would as well.

I believe everyone was banking on the fact that Mason was going to be the downfall of the Wings, matched with poor play with Osgood. When in-fact it seems thus far to be the opposite.

Well the kid is still a rookie, in his first playoff series. As opposed to the veteran Osgood, who's won the cup.

oBIgzrL.png

Cant argue with the 3 penalties the Flyers took at the end of Game 2. Those were all good calls. Just real stupidity on their part. When you know theyre looking to even things up, you have to make extra sure to not do anything even border line. Getting the stick into the mid section, cross checking a guy for no reason in front, and slashing a stick in half are 3 of the easiest calls theyre going to make all night. Shame the game ended the way it did, they desevred a better fate.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I believe everyone was banking on the fact that Mason was going to be the downfall of the Wings, matched with poor play with Osgood. When in-fact it seems thus far to be the opposite.

Well the kid is still a rookie, in his first playoff series. As opposed to the veteran Osgood, who's won the cup.

Chris Osgood's been better than usual and the Detroit Red Wings just ran a 2 game clinic on how to play in the playoffs. That said, this isn't Steve Mason's fault so any gloating about how poorly he's played isn't due. 5 of the 8 goals have come on power plays, 4 of the 8 goals have been on deflections that no goalie could've handled. The Blue Jackets defense needs to get people out of the front of the net and the rest of the team needs to stop taking penalties. It's incredibly difficult to win a game against the best power play in the league if you have to sit in the box every 5 minutes. It's also impossible to get anything going rhythm wise on the offensive end if you have to play on the PK every 5 minutes. I'm not going to be a jerk and talk about one sided officiating, I'm not going to be THAT guy.

If the Jackets don't win at home in game 3 then this series is as good as done.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In one of the most one-sided officiated games Ive ever seen, the Flyers win Game 3 6-3 to get the series back to 2-1. Call it sour grapes, I dont care, that was so biased it makes me sick to my stomach. I have lost ALOT of respect for Malkin watching that display of whining. I dont see how the Flyers can win 3 more games if this keeps up.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

If the Jackets are no match for the Wings and Osgood is a legit goalie and not just a fraud playing on a damn good team... they why should any Wing fan be gloating?

-Dan

That's why it is a commonly known fact that Wings fans are extremely arrogant.

Chris Osgood's been better than usual and the Detroit Red Wings just ran a 2 game clinic on how to play in the playoffs. That said, this isn't Steve Mason's fault so any gloating about how poorly he's played isn't due. 5 of the 8 goals have come on power plays, 4 of the 8 goals have been on deflections that no goalie could've handled. The Blue Jackets defense needs to get people out of the front of the net and the rest of the team needs to stop taking penalties. It's incredibly difficult to win a game against the best power play in the league if you have to sit in the box every 5 minutes. It's also impossible to get anything going rhythm wise on the offensive end if you have to play on the PK every 5 minutes. I'm not going to be a jerk and talk about one sided officiating, I'm not going to be THAT guy.

If the Jackets don't win at home in game 3 then this series is as good as done.

The blame isn't on Mason, the rest of the Jackets are just getting outplayed and not converting when they have had chances. Osgood's made either great saves (to which I give him a lot of credit) or the Jackets have just flat out missed the goal. Of course, we haven't had many chances...

Unfortunately, it might already be good as done. We either have to win 4 in a row or win a game 7 in Detroit.

"#7 Columbus over #2 Detroit 4-3 (The Cinderella of this years playoffs handles there in conference rivals, Detroit's goaltending will cost them the defense of there Cup.)"

"Not to mention a great difference in goaltending. Detroit's average-skilled tandem of Osgood and Conklin < Stonewall Mason"

Looking back at the first few pages, almost everyone was choosing the Jackets over the Wings. Above is some quotes that show that some people thought Mason was going to run the show and Detroit will hit a speed-bump.

I ask why some people thought that Mason with zero experience versus a three time Stanley Cup goalie, Osgood, was going to be so great? Frankly, I haven't been impressed.

Why do you keep gloating about how "terrible" Mason is when reading the above evidence. The Jackets are playing stupid hockey and commiting too many penalties. Osgood's played great-I'll give him credit for that, but if he would have faced God knows how many power plays and 73 shots, he wouldn't have only one goal allowed. It's gotten to the point where I've had to turn off both these games in the 3rd because they've been so frustrating.

Oh, do you see fans of other teams gloating like this? That's what I thought.

Oh, and a number two seeded, defending Cup champion is SUPPOSED to beat the seventh seeded, first playoff appearance team like the Wings have beaten the Jackets.

[/end rant]

6fQjS3M.png

Lucic suspended for game 3 due to his game misconduct in game 2. Completely reasonable, and I agree with the punishment.

However, I'd like to know where the NHL Office's eyes were during the end of game 1 when it was out of reach for the Canadiens and Lapierre (IIRC) went after Kessel immediately following the empty netter.

Lucic suspended for game 3 due to his game misconduct in game 2. Completely reasonable, and I agree with the punishment.

However, I'd like to know where the NHL Office's eyes were during the end of game 1 when it was out of reacsh for the Canadiens and Lapierre (IIRC) went after Kessel immediately following the empty netter.

Sheeesh I knew that one was coming.

Also, I loved the Bergeron fight and the comment Jack Edwards made during it:

"Concuss this"

In one of the most one-sided officiated games Ive ever seen, the Flyers win Game 3 6-3 to get the series back to 2-1. Call it sour grapes, I dont care, that was so biased it makes me sick to my stomach. I have lost ALOT of respect for Malkin watching that display of whining. I dont see how the Flyers can win 3 more games if this keeps up.

That game was horribly called for both sides. You guys got away with alot, and any "whining" Malkin did was probably warranted. He never whines (he sorta cant, being english challenged and all), so I think id take his word for it. In any case, I think itd be better for both sides just to forget about the officiating. Both sides have been screwed and rewarded by it, and its becoming frustrating, not necessarily because Team A or Team B is down, but because its just so bad.

(Besides, you won, so the officiating couldn't have been that biased, if at all.)

Anyway, the sooner the pens forget about today, the better. Everyone and their mommas knew there was no way they'd sweep, so theres no reason to get their heads down yet. They did all they could, Philly just had more drive from being at home and had more luck. They need to remember this is the exact same team they played in games 1 and 2. Its just the fans that are (ALOT) different. Lets get the win Tuesday, and wrap it up back home.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived