Inkscape Video Tutorials

gingerbreadmann

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that you have it set to relative to the Page, not Last Selected. If you opened the template normally, that side detail will be the middle of the page (which is just the black rectangle around the template), and the centers of both the panels and jersey will be aligned with the center of the page, which makes it look like they converged in your image. I just tested it on my file and I got exactly the same thing as you. Last Selected will keep the jersey in the same place and the panels will align with its center. Simple mistake. Tell me if that works.

I was just wondering if you're going to get into tutorials for more complex designs and maybe even action templates? I'm really looking forward to seeing any new tutorials you might come out with and I can't wait to make the jump to Inkscape full time.

g4104.png

I've been thinking about what I might possibly do next. I was thinking one of my old sigs (the Bruins/Celtics jersey back and/or the Red Sox retired numbers) because that is more complex and uses some different skills. Then, actually the action template might be a good idea sometime in the future. (It is more tedious than difficult, though. But it has some different skills as well.) Then maybe sometime an actual logo. I don't know yet, but there will be something coming soon.

I've been thinking about what I might possibly do next. I was thinking one of my old sigs (the Bruins/Celtics jersey back and/or the Red Sox retired numbers) because that is more complex and uses some different skills. Then, actually the action template might be a good idea sometime in the future. (It is more tedious than difficult, though. But it has some different skills as well.) Then maybe sometime an actual logo. I don't know yet, but there will be something coming soon.

That's great. I can't wait to learn more.

g4104.png

Sadly no. You can with illustrator with the LiveTrace tool (I believe) and you used to be able to use vectormagic.com to vectorize raster images, but that's not free anymore. You'll either have to recreate/trace the logo yourself, or search online for a vector version.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Actually, there is a Trace Bitmap tool in Inkscape. Works quite well actually. The thing is you will have to do some manual stuff to get it to look right. You have to trace it in black and white and manually colorize it to look good; if you trace in color it is done differently and doesn't look right. I'm completely sick right now but I'll get into that sometime.

Very nice job with this one GBM. This reintroduced me to vectors and saved me tons of time from how I used to use illustrator.

Any chance we can get to see how to vertically arch text? I know you mentioned it, and I'd love to learn how to do it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have a few questions. Are you going to publish a tutorial about text? Just wondering because you left a section for it, but it is blank.

Also, is there a way to give an object more than one stroke?

Thanks for making these, so far they have helped a ton in learning the program.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my first ever post. I am a newbie when it comes to inkscape. so i have a question for you. when i save it then try and open it inkscape says "failed to load the requested file" am i saving it to the wrong place? please help me.

Save what? It all depends on what you are editing, but I'm almost positive you can't really save anything to the wrong place, as there is no wrong place (well, except maybe system files). It's probably the wrong type of file, but just to be sure tell me the entire process from start to finish when you get the error and I will help you out.

Archived