CFL back in Ottawa.

SenatorJake

Following a vote of 14-9, the Ottawa City Council has approved the Lansdowne Live proposal. This means that the proposal to rebuild Frank Clair Stadium is in negotiations for the next 60 days. This is a huge breakthrough in bringing the CFL back to the nation's capital by 2011... stay tuned.

thecatch.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So by extension this means the MLS team would be dead?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So by extension this means the MLS team would be dead?

Not quite. As I understand it, City Council is still prepared to give a 3 month extension on deciding wether or not to build a soccer stadium in Kanata. It certainly appears that they won't fund such a project since they have approved the Landsdowne Live proposal. I think it's just in case the Landsdowne deal falls through for some reason or another, then they would have the soccer stadium as a back-up plan.

There is also the unlikely scenario of an MLS team coming to Frank Clair stadium, be it via Eugene Melnyk or some other investors.

thecatch.jpg

What I don't understand is why they couldn't just tailor either stadium for both soccer and football?

The Landsdowne Live group has gone on record as saying they would be ready to make Frank Clair stadium a soccer-first stadium. This means that should Ottawa get a MLS or USL team, the soccer tenant would get priority on picking the dates that they would need the stadium. According to what I've heard, the stadium would be built to accomodate both CFL football and soccer. The Landsdowne Live group seems quite flexible and I believe negociations should go quite well, regardless of city council's history of over-analyzing and never-ending studies.

The Melnyk group did not seem ready to make such concessions in regards to their Kanata stadium. Melnyk has in fact stated that he is not interested in CFL football.

thecatch.jpg

Great, we get to see Ottawa kill another CFL franchise for a third time!! <_<

What? I didn't see the name "Gliebermann" mentioned anywhere... yet...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Why cant they build a stadium for both the CFL and MLS.

There is a fantastic new feature to this fancy internet thing. It's called the scrollbar. Should be right over there on the right. It teleports you to the past.

:P

Ooh, snappy little bugger ain't he?

No, not really, just joking around.

Hi, how are you?

Considering the number of times the league has stepped in to save or run the Argos, I wouldn't worry about it, Neon.

Does not matter, the (or one of thee) oldest professional sports team in North America is still kicking around. ^_^

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Why cant they build a stadium for both the CFL and MLS.

There is a fantastic new feature to this fancy internet thing. It's called the scrollbar. Should be right over there on the right. It teleports you to the past.

:P

Ooh, snappy little bugger ain't he?

No, not really, just joking around.

Lol, I know.

Considering the number of times the league has stepped in to save or run the Argos, I wouldn't worry about it, Neon.

I wouldn't worry about it either... once the Bills move to Toronto we can kill off the Argos which would knock out all those silly Western Canadian football teams in the process.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I wouldn't worry about it either... once the Bills move to Toronto we can kill off the Argos which would knock out all those silly Western Canadian football teams in the process.

Something in me knew they wouldn't do any of this until Stegall retired. Milt would never let any of this happen, no sir, not on his watch.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived