CFL back in Ottawa.

SenatorJake

The next question is, will there be enough perceived public pressure to have a name that works in both official languages?

If so, then we can start whittling down Riders of any kind, Rivers of any kind, etc. Voyageurs, for better or worse, may be the way to lean.

/just throwing it out there.

I doubt it. All the recent pro teams in Ottawa have or had monolingual English name. There wasn't much controversy about them.

The Sens had to change their logo because it only read in English. Now it appears everything on both their website and in the arena are bilingual.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The next question is, will there be enough perceived public pressure to have a name that works in both official languages?

If so, then we can start whittling down Riders of any kind, Rivers of any kind, etc. Voyageurs, for better or worse, may be the way to lean.

I doubt it. All the recent pro teams in Ottawa have or had monolingual English name. There wasn't much controversy about them.

The Sens had to change their logo because it only read in English. Now it appears everything on both their website and in the arena are bilingual.

*had* to?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

*had* to?

Well, considering a bunch of Quebecois complained that since Ottawa is the capital of Canada and represents both English and French, that the script on that logo should read in both English and French.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

*had* to?

Well, considering a bunch of Quebecois complained that since Ottawa is the capital of Canada and represents both English and French, that the script on that logo should read in both English and French.

First I've heard of this story... sounds like one of those "a guy I know told me..." ones

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Great, we get to see Ottawa kill another CFL franchise for a third time!! <_<

sooo Ottawa gets three chances to have a team and yet Los Angeles has snubbed since 1994. Fine

Are you even considering the fact that these are different leagues we are talking about?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

so Ottawa gets three chances and LA isn't offered up for a second go. Leagues notwithstanding, just cities

Your complaint might make more sense if the leagues were run by the same governing body, had the same mission and business strategy, and well....

Apples and oranges. Plain and simple.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

so Ottawa gets three chances and LA isn't offered up for a second go. Leagues notwithstanding, just cities

Although they are completely different leagues and different situations, I must agree that the fact that LA does not have an NFL team is quite stupid.

thecatch.jpg

*had* to?

Dear Neon Matrix, there never have been Quebec complaints about the Senators/Senateurs that I could recall. Actually, Sens have been an example about how to respect their fans in both languages. To throw that row is totally inapropriate and irrelevant to this forum and show you pitty ignorance of the Ottawa reality.

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

*had* to?

Dear Neon Matrix, there never have been Quebec complaints about the Senators/Senateurs that I could recall. Actually, Sens have been an example about how to respect their fans in both languages. To throw that row is totally inapropriate and irrelevant to this forum and show you pitty ignorance of the Ottawa reality.

Give me some time to dig up the article. Provide evidence against it and then you can put me down, otherwise, keep it to yourself because you have no more ground to stand on than I do. I was trying to be politically correct by saying that french people were Quebecois and not frenchies. Sheesh.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Allright... simmer down you two. I remember that the Senators logo only being in english was an issue in the mid 90's.

The francophone community in Ottawa did bring up the point that the logo was a unilingual english one. The Ottawa Senators organization, being the stand up bunch of people that they are, decided to change it to better reflect the bilingual reality of the Ottawa region. I don't see anything wrong with that.

By the way, french people who live in Ottawa are Franco-Ontarians. They are not "Quebecois" and they are most definitely not "Frenchies".

thecatch.jpg

Allright... simmer down you two. I remember that the Senators logo only being in english was an issue in the mid 90's.

The francophone community in Ottawa did bring up the point that the logo was a unilingual english one. The Ottawa Senators organization, being the stand up bunch of people that they are, decided to change it to better reflect the bilingual reality of the Ottawa region. I don't see anything wrong with that.

By the way, french people who live in Ottawa are Franco-Ontarians. They are not "Quebecois" and they are most definitely not "Frenchies".

For once, we agree on something (apart for the integrity of the organization... oh the horror stories I have been told leading to the high job turnover rate, although, MLSE has its own problems). :P

I was just being silly with the frenchies comment, but I thought I had read that both the french in Ottawa AND some from Quebec were complaining because Ottawa is supposed to represent all of Canada, english and french. Oh well.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Archived