Global Hockey

IanPhoenix

Well I took the idea from bigmike (who gave his approval of using the idea), when he did a World Football league. This idea is obviously in its infancy, and expected to take a while to complete. Anyway, I haven't decided on any teams or locations. I was gonna let you guys do that. It's not really intended to be a competition, just a place to create some art and show it off. I understand there are some competitions going on/waiting in the wings, so I'm not expecting much too soon. I'm really open to any direction ideas for now, so feel free to offer some. If you'd like to claim a team, I'll try to keep this first post updated with the teams, owners, and how we'd divide the league up.

---------------------------[End of original post]---------------------------

Here's a list of unclaimed cities. Claim one and I'll put your name with it.

Detroit, USA

Helsinki or Turku, Finland

Minneapolis/St. Paul, USA

Prague, Czech Republic

Toronto, Canada

There are 12 cities on chosen so far, so if you want to choose a city not listed, there's plenty of room for more.

Here are the claimed cities:

Bratislava, Slovakia - sizemorematters

Dublin, Ireland - Blitz

Hamburg, Germany - ChuckDownfield

Montréal, Canada - JCC

Moscow, Russia - sergeimakarenkov44

Stockholm, Sweden - MattMilone

Zagreb, Croatia - sizemorematters

believew.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think a big thing to look at is where hockey would actually be popular. Sure, Angola's colors would look good on a sweater, but would anyone really watch hockey in Africa?

Countries that should definitely be included are Canada, US, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia. Countries where hockey is popular, but aren't so important that they must be included are Germany, Ukraine, Belarus, Slovenia, Italy and maybe, just maybe, Japan.

Big markets are something that's important too, so Montréal and Toronto should basically be guaranteed a spot in Canada, and so should Detroit and Minnesota in the US. In Russia, Moscow should be in the league for sure. Sweden, Helsinki, Prague, and Bratislava should be in the league from Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia, respectively. With the other countries we can play around with the cities a bit, but capitals would be best.

Should we do 30 teams like the NHL? I don't know. But we need to make sure the teams in each division are close together.

Or we can do something completely random.

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Well, I think a big thing to look at is where hockey would actually be popular. Sure, Angola's colors would look good on a sweater, but would anyone really watch hockey in Africa?

Countries that should definitely be included are Canada, US, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia. Countries where hockey is popular, but aren't so important that they must be included are Germany, Ukraine, Belarus, Slovenia, Italy and maybe, just maybe, Japan.

Big markets are something that's important too, so Montréal and Toronto should basically be guaranteed a spot in Canada, and so should Detroit and Minnesota in the US. In Russia, Moscow should be in the league for sure. Sweden, Helsinki, Prague, and Bratislava should be in the league from Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, and Slovakia, respectively. With the other countries we can play around with the cities a bit, but capitals would be best.

Should we do 30 teams like the NHL? I don't know. But we need to make sure the teams in each division are close together.

Or we can do something completely random.

As far as putting teams in areas where hockey is popular, I agree with that for the most part, but the stray unconventional hockey team wouldn't be out of the question. I mean look at way back when Jamaica had a bobsled team (ala Cool Runnings). Tampa, Dallas, and the Carolinas are good hockey hotbeds in warm weather. But I do agree that the primary thoughts should be towards traditional hockey markets. What I think we can do is start with some pre-determined sites and then have room for a few more empty spots that whoever chooses the team can name a site.

I'll add a list of cities to the first post to draw more interest, then we can worry about division alignment and everything afterwards.

believew.jpg

I wouldn't mind getting in on this... What does everyone think of a team in Belfast or Dublin? I would love to give that a shot. If Ireland doesn't work, I'll take Prague.

I'm sure you could come up with something great with any city Blitz

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

I wouldn't mind getting in on this... What does everyone think of a team in Belfast or Dublin? I would love to give that a shot. If Ireland doesn't work, I'll take Prague.

I'm sure you could come up with something great with any city Blitz

Cheers Chuck, Good call on Hamburg.... Definately looking forward to seeing it!!!

canada.png

Either one is your choice. Belfast or Dublin would be fine, but which one did you want? I put you in for a possibility on either.

(I put UK for Belfast because Northern Ireland is part of the UK)

believew.jpg

Blitz, I'm really pleasantly surprised with that concept. I lived in Northern Ireland for 14 years, so when people say they're doing an Irish concept I get very critical, and was curious as to what you'd come up with. I don't know how much you researched it, but you've come up with something that would work very well over there. The main thing is to try to do something that isn't too politically charged or biased, and the wolfhound imagery works perfectly in this respect. I'd like to know if you'd have used the same colours and logo if you'd based the team in Belfast, things are a lot different up there, but this gives a great impression of Ireland without crossing the line into stereotype and parody.

Apologies for the massive post, but this is really refreshing stuff! :D

Will: Had I based the team in Belfast (which I really had contemplated) they would have been called the "Gaels" and I probably would have leaned more toward the colouring of the Jack. I also thought of not using the Orange & Green for Dublin, as I thought I might be over doing it a bit. Appreciate the comments, glad to have an opinion from the Emerald Isle, there really isn't much better C&C than that!!!

Sergei: So long as there is not a Wolfhound inside that circle, I think we'll be OK :P . The Oils & Isles have made it work for years - and they even have the same colours!!!

canada.png

Archived