2009 NFL Draft

rams80

Honestly, I think the Lions maybe could have just further crippled the franchise for another 5-10 years. Here is the big problem, even with a 6 game improvement they are likely to have a top 10 pick next year. Next year has a better, deeper QB class by all accounts. The Lions aren't going to be in a position to upgrade at QB even if they have the number 1 pick next year. They could easily have picked up at offensive lineman, upgraded at that position and sat and waited for a QB next year.

You say a QB is worth the risk. Well lets look at teams who have picked QBs number 1 recently.

Jamarcus Russell- Jury still out, Raiders do however pick up a veteran QB in 2009 in Garcia.

Alex Smith- 49ers looking for a QB still- Bust

Eli Manning- picked by Chargers, traded for Rivers, doing ok. But in an unusually good team for a team with the number 1 pick. And Manning has hardly convinced in NY despite a Superbowl MVP. But benefit of the doubt to both teams here.

Carson Palmer- great QB, but Bengals not making huge progress even behind one of the best under center in the league.

David Carr- Big time bust, at least partly because of a lack of protection.

Michael Vick- Tough one here, but it does seem as if the Falcons could only take a step forward after getting rid of Vick.

Tom Couch- Bust.

So over the last 10 years teams picking a QB with the number 1 overall pick have used that positively to push the franchise forward possibly 1 out of 7 times. Are those great odds? The last unadulterated success as QB picked first overall is Peyton Manning, and even he has only one 1 superbowl despite his undoubted talent.

Bottom line- signing a QB as first overally takes a whole lot of resources away from other positions on a roster. The gamble is huge. Don't get me wrong I am not writing off Stafford, who may well turn into a decent NFL QB, but are the Lions getting value for money out of him, and moving the franchise forward? I am not at all convinced.

A lot of people say that Vick to the Falcons/Tomlinson to the Chargers was a huge steal for the Chargers. I have to disagree. The Vick pickup worked out wonderfully at the time. Both pick ups helped to drastically increase the value of each respected franchise a TON.

Exactly. People forget, Vick led his team to a deep playoff run much earlier than LT did. Vick definitely had the advantage on-the-field until Vick's off-the-field antics and bad coaching finally caught up to him.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I think the Lions maybe could have just further crippled the franchise for another 5-10 years. Here is the big problem, even with a 6 game improvement they are likely to have a top 10 pick next year. Next year has a better, deeper QB class by all accounts. The Lions aren't going to be in a position to upgrade at QB even if they have the number 1 pick next year. They could easily have picked up at offensive lineman, upgraded at that position and sat and waited for a QB next year.

You say a QB is worth the risk. Well lets look at teams who have picked QBs number 1 recently.

Jamarcus Russell- Jury still out, Raiders do however pick up a veteran QB in 2009 in Garcia.

Alex Smith- 49ers looking for a QB still- Bust

Eli Manning- picked by Chargers, traded for Rivers, doing ok. But in an unusually good team for a team with the number 1 pick. And Manning has hardly convinced in NY despite a Superbowl MVP. But benefit of the doubt to both teams here.

Carson Palmer- great QB, but Bengals not making huge progress even behind one of the best under center in the league.

David Carr- Big time bust, at least partly because of a lack of protection.

Michael Vick- Tough one here, but it does seem as if the Falcons could only take a step forward after getting rid of Vick.

Tom Couch- Bust.

So over the last 10 years teams picking a QB with the number 1 overall pick have used that positively to push the franchise forward possibly 1 out of 7 times. Are those great odds? The last unadulterated success as QB picked first overall is Peyton Manning, and even he has only one 1 superbowl despite his undoubted talent.

Bottom line- signing a QB as first overally takes a whole lot of resources away from other positions on a roster. The gamble is huge. Don't get me wrong I am not writing off Stafford, who may well turn into a decent NFL QB, but are the Lions getting value for money out of him, and moving the franchise forward? I am not at all convinced.

I don't mean to sound like Mel Kiper Jr. (who's actually a really nice guy), but if you have the chance to draft a player you think is a franchise quarterback, you do it.

Well...I'm all for protecting Marc Bulger. It's good to see the Rams are too with Jason Smith.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nope...New York at 5

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Obviously, Mangini doesn't have hard feelings, huh? LOL

And the sound you just heard was the Redskins War Room imploding.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I do wish Joey Harrington Michael Stafford well....

Matthew.

And for the record: As a Jets fan, I will boo if New York goes overboard just to get Mark Sanchez. :P

Ready to boo?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

and the Raiders take Heyward-Bey.

I loved his "Oh :censored:" face.

Today, we are all otaku.

Holy :censored:! That's why they're the Raiders.

They should have drafted a new owner with that pick.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

LOL @ THE RAIDERS

They passed up Crabtree for Heyward-Bey, simply because Heyward-Bey had the fastest 40 in the combine. That's definitely the case since they have done this every time that they've drafted a WR or RB. Hilarious. Enjoy your continued futility, Oakland Raiders.

Archived