2009 NFL Draft

rams80

I'm not going to spend any more time criticizing the Raiders' drafting woes because it's just too easy.

With that said...how in the hell did New England get all these 2nd round picks? Jesus, they've had like half of the 2nd round to themselves.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going to spend any more time criticizing the Raiders' drafting woes because it's just too easy.

With that said...how in the hell did New England get all these 2nd round picks? Jesus, they've had like half of the 2nd round to themselves.

4 second round picks or 1/8th of the 2nd round.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

i'm a little worried about this draft for the boys. no first pick, no second pick, and a stock pile of later round second day picks. is there some hidden gems that i don't know about, i have a nervous feeling that most of our picks will be out of the NFL completely in a couple of years.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I'm glad the Vikes addressed the OL situation. Nice pick with Loadholt. I'm still not sure about Harvin though. Great reciever, nice weapon, but he might get into some trouble.

Someone on NFL Network (I forget his name) said if it were a couple a years ago, we might be seeing Percy Harvin on the Loveboat.

I got the guy I wanted in B.J. Raji and I'm just saying this now three-fourths of the NFC North is quickly rising back to the top.

Fixed that for ya. The Lions aren't rising so quickly. :P

But yes, Raji is a monster, and just what the Packers need for converting to the 3-4. They haven't had anyone truly suitable for the nose tackle position since Grady Jackson left.

CCSLC signature.png

I don't really know much about the Falcons first-round pick, but Flame says he's good and I trust Dimitroff. Good enough for me. I really like the pick of William Moore. I saw him play some at Mizzou and I was impressed. Good choice.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I got the guy I wanted in B.J. Raji and I'm just saying this now three-fourths of the NFC North is quickly rising back to the top.

Fixed that for ya. The Lions aren't rising so quickly. :P

But yes, Raji is a monster, and just what the Packers need for converting to the 3-4. They haven't had anyone truly suitable for the nose tackle position since Grady Jackson left.

I'll still stand by my decision of the Lions drafting Stafford with the first pick was stupid in my mind but I think overall they drafted pretty good with the picks they had, but no I agree that it won't be one year fix for the Leos. As for the Packers they used the first two picks they had very well with Raji and Matthews but don't you find it they gave up a bit much with a Second and Third to the Pats for the 26th Pick? will have to wait and see how it pans out and overall a great draft for the Packers.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I can live with Laurinitis at MLB. The Rams evidently saw something they didn't like out of Rey Malaluga.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

i'm lovin the bills draft after one day

RD1 P11: Aaron Maybin, DE, an extremely talented speed rusher they needed to take pressure off Aaron Schobel

RD1 P28: Eric Woods, C, a "mauler" type center who plays mean and fills a big hole on a very soft O-line

RD2 P42: Jairus Byrd, CB/S, A ball-hawking DB who will probably be played at FS. Many compare him to Ed Reed, and he adds a new punt returner if the Bills decide to trade Roscoe Parrish.

RD2 P51: Andy Levitre, OG, the consensus No.1 guard in the draft.

4 probable starters in the first 2 rounds. I'll take that.

I can live with Laurinitis at MLB. The Rams evidently saw something they didn't like out of Rey Malaluga.

Obviously it wasn't just the Rams who passed on him multiple times.

Here is an SI blurb about why that may be:

Seattle, 9:17 p.m.

If teams simply drafted on talent alone, Rey Maualuga would have gone in the first round. He probably would have been the first of the celebrated USC linebacker trio to get selected. As it was, not only was he the last to be selected, he also fell all the way to the second round before Cincinnati picked him and reunited him with former Trojan teammate Keith Rivers.

The problem with Maulauga is that as much of a wrecking ball as he is on the field, he's a bit of a space cadet. I'm not just talking off the field, where he reportedly scored a 15 on the Wonderlic and didn't know who Vice President Joe Biden was, but on it as well. No one frustrated USC coaches more than Maualuga. He looked like he was running around with his head cut off and looking to hit anything that moved. The more tape pro coaches watched on Maualuga, the more times they probably saw him being saved by his teammates on missed assignments.

Huge hits might make for great highlights in college but if you can't play within the confines of a structured defense in the NFL, you might end up on the other end of those highlights.

--Arash Markazi

Matthew_Stafford_Photoshop_by_matthiason.jpg

God, I hate the Lions for making me do this. Every year. Every effin year. :P

(EDIT: I guess Mancakes is wearing number 9, not 7. I'll fix it later.)

At least you got the running for his life part right. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Honestly, I think the Lions maybe could have just further crippled the franchise for another 5-10 years. Here is the big problem, even with a 6 game improvement they are likely to have a top 10 pick next year. Next year has a better, deeper QB class by all accounts. The Lions aren't going to be in a position to upgrade at QB even if they have the number 1 pick next year. They could easily have picked up at offensive lineman, upgraded at that position and sat and waited for a QB next year.

You say a QB is worth the risk. Well lets look at teams who have picked QBs number 1 recently.

Jamarcus Russell- Jury still out, Raiders do however pick up a veteran QB in 2009 in Garcia.

Alex Smith- 49ers looking for a QB still- Bust

Eli Manning- picked by Chargers, traded for Rivers, doing ok. But in an unusually good team for a team with the number 1 pick. And Manning has hardly convinced in NY despite a Superbowl MVP. But benefit of the doubt to both teams here.

Carson Palmer- great QB, but Bengals not making huge progress even behind one of the best under center in the league.

David Carr- Big time bust, at least partly because of a lack of protection.

Michael Vick- Tough one here, but it does seem as if the Falcons could only take a step forward after getting rid of Vick.

Tom Couch- Bust.

So over the last 10 years teams picking a QB with the number 1 overall pick have used that positively to push the franchise forward possibly 1 out of 7 times. Are those great odds? The last unadulterated success as QB picked first overall is Peyton Manning, and even he has only one 1 superbowl despite his undoubted talent.

Bottom line- signing a QB as first overally takes a whole lot of resources away from other positions on a roster. The gamble is huge. Don't get me wrong I am not writing off Stafford, who may well turn into a decent NFL QB, but are the Lions getting value for money out of him, and moving the franchise forward? I am not at all convinced.

I don't mean to sound like Mel Kiper Jr. (who's actually a really nice guy), but if you have the chance to draft a player you think is a franchise quarterback, you do it.

My issue here is do the Lions think Stafford can be a franchise QB, or do they hope he can be a franchise QB. IMO, if its only hope, then they made a mistake.

That said I actually like the Pettigrew pick, a blocking Tight End who can catch, is nearly as good as an offensive lineman. Still a bit concerned about the Lions defense, but overall I think the offense isn't in bad shape for 2009, with Culpepper starting as a mobile QB, and bringing through Stafford slowly.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Okay, I'm thrilled that the Pack got B.J. Raji, but I'm not sure about Clay Matthews. I don't know much about him. Scouting report, anyone? Should I be happy that they got him or just annoyed that they had to give up so much.

I love how both ESPN and NFL Network go to a commercial while the Bengals pick.

You really think they're discriminating against the Bengals? It's commercial/interview city at this point. To get any type of live analysis you have to go to the web.

P.S. I love BB again. This is great!

My issue here is do the Lions think Stafford can be a franchise QB, or do they hope he can be a franchise QB. IMO, if its only hope, then they made a mistake.

That was my thinking. You've got to be real bad to go 0-16. They need alot more help than just QB. I think a better route would have been to take a "safe" pick and build up the team this year. Then next year try to fill the gap at QB or take a chance on a QB in the later rounds of this draft.

Archived