which nfl update was the best?

HotCoffey

They're all one great big "meh" to me.

I like that the Niners are trying to recreate their "classic" look of the Super Bowl years, but those unis still looked pretty plain to me.

The Jags' new threads are nothing special, but then neither were their old ones.

As for the Lions, let's see them win a game or two first (just not against the Packers :P ) and then I'll get excited about a uniform change.

CCSLC signature.png

1. Lions

2. 49ers

3. Jaguars.

The Jaguars are the only real downgrade here. I like that the 49ers and Lions both tried to clean up their uniforms, which were both too messy, but the execution of each leaves something to be desired. I'm giving the Lions the edge though, since their tweaked logo was such a huge upgrade over the old Bubbles.

I'm not a real fan of any, but

1. Lions - Sort of "updated" what they had

2. Jags - Really plain, downgrade from previous

3. 49ers - Automatic F for the gray mask, uninspired. HUGE downgrade from previous set. All it is, is the Montana era unis with a word mark minus sock stripes. These need to stay in 1983.

KISSwall09.jpg

I didn't really have a problem with them mostly because none of them we're major overhauls but when a team usually does do an overhaul we seem to like them (Vikes, Cards, Falcons) I'm sure once we see them in game action are opinions might change but as for the rankings.

1 Lions

2 Jaguars

3 Niners

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

for me:

1) 49ers

2) lions

3) jaguars (the entire set is a complete mess; they were fine with their old set. horrible job)

and while we're at it, i must make the point that about 90% of any uniform/logo update in ANY of the 4 major sports is a downgrade from a previous set

LIONS. Why? Because of this reason: The 49ers jersey is basically a blast from the past that I have always considered to be too plain (just like the Browns) and the Jaguars is just plain ugly. The striping on both the 49ers and Jaguars jerseys are atrocious. I like how the Lions made their logo more aggressive and I don't mind the black, but the "wide" silver stripes on the sleeves need to go. Now if the Browns would change their uniforms, then the world of the NFL would be even better.

spacer.png

I've noticed that as a community we are pretty hard on the pro uni designers. Sometimes with good reason, BUT I have a theory. Part of a uniforms greatness is its durability. The best uniforms last. Will the Lions, Jags or 49ers be wearing these in 5 or 10 years time. So immediate reaction tends to be 'oh my thats awful' because it doesn't yet intrinsically look like a Lions or Jaguars or 49ers uniform. It would be interesting to revisit peoples views on these uniforms come the end of the season.

At the moment though, I would grade tham all as a B-. None of them are outstanding, but I think anyone saying any of them are awful is overreacting.

Hands down I think this is one of the best posts I have ever read here.

I like the way some people call some uniforms 'too plain'. What the :censored: does that mean. Some of the best sports uniforms are the best precisely because they are relatively plain and don't involve whistles and bells. My one irritant about the 49ers unis is the odd sleeve stripes, the one 'unplain' thing on them. Otherwise the mix of colors and style, to my eyes, is fine, yes even the gray face mask. (One of the things I don't like about colored face masks is that they are too visible, you look at old time football, with gray face masks as much more common, and you tend not to notice the face mask as much, though I accept they tended to be smaller face masks as well).

Personally on reflection, I don't think any of the 3 sides has done an awful job (apart from the strange color change between home and road on the Jags unis). If i had to choose an order I would go

1 49ers (Good to see a lighter red)

2 Jaguars (Aside from the odd teal home, black away color thing, as understandable given the proximity of the Dolphins as it might be)

3 Lions (Great Logo upgrade, but the rest leaves me feeling a bit flat).

But IMHO its a close thing.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

1) Lions- Unis look great. Helmets look good. Nice update to Bubbles, but I'm still not sure about those swooshes

2) 49ers- Nice job on going back to the classic look. Except for those stripes. Why must they be slanted like that? Otherwise, nice job.

3) Jags- Disappointing. IMO, downgrade from what they had before. Helmets are kinda cool I guess. Unis are gool, but lacking. No shoulder logo or stripes. Not terrible, but not great.

1) Lions - I like that the black/navy (whatever) is more integrated rather than just, well, there.

2) Jaguars - They moved laterally with this one, I think. I still wish they would go with the Mark Brunell-style unis from '99. Those were really nice.

3) 49ers - They bowed to their fans by re-dressing the glory days... They remind me of a story of a certain board-member wearing their Montana-era jersey one day and being told that they had a "nice Nebraska jersey". Seriously, if it's that hard for someone to tell that it's a Niner jersey... :huh:

I digress, though. They really were like "Yay, you changed... but nobody cares."

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Okay, here's the thing. There's supposed to be four uniform updates. The lead developer of the Madden franchise has gone on record as stating that they've implemented four uniform changes and since they get their information from the NFL...

cttdolphins2.png

Okay, here's the thing. There's supposed to be four uniform updates. The lead developer of the Madden franchise has gone on record as stating that they've implemented four uniform changes and since they get their information from the NFL...

There's been rumors of a minor Dolphins' change but nothing solid yet.

There's been rumors of a minor Dolphins' change but nothing solid yet.

The only change to the Dolphins is to their wordmark, but it really doesn't affect their uniforms. Just the wordmark that they use in print media.

Oh - and the re-introduction of the Orange/Coral alternate uniform.

In the contest of which of these changes was the LEAST BAD:

1) 49ers. Like the pants. Hate the facemask. Jersey is simply boring.

2) Lions. If they hadn't gone full-custom on the number font, they might have "won" the group. Still not digging the sleeve stripes, but they did straighten out their use of black...sort of.

3) Jags. There's actually nothing about this set that I like.

The only change to the Dolphins is to their wordmark, but it really doesn't affect their uniforms. Just the wordmark that they use in print media.

Oh - and the re-introduction of the Orange/Coral alternate uniform.

The alternates never really went away, it's just that Saban didn't use anything but the white unis, Cameron wasn't much better, and Sparano has yet to coach a prime time game.

cttdolphins2.png

I've noticed that as a community we are pretty hard on the pro uni designers. Sometimes with good reason, BUT I have a theory. Part of a uniforms greatness is its durability. The best uniforms last. Will the Lions, Jags or 49ers be wearing these in 5 or 10 years time. So immediate reaction tends to be 'oh my thats awful' because it doesn't yet intrinsically look like a Lions or Jaguars or 49ers uniform. It would be interesting to revisit peoples views on these uniforms come the end of the season.

At the moment though, I would grade tham all as a B-. None of them are outstanding, but I think anyone saying any of them are awful is overreacting.

Well said. When the Vikings new set came out, not many people liked them, but now, it is a different story.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Well said. When the Vikings new set came out, not many people liked them, but now, it is a different story.

Oddly I've never liked the new Vikings unis, and still don't, but that has more to do with the fact that the old vikings away was one of my favourite football uniforms. I do fully expect the Jags uniforms to become more popular with time.

Re evaluating my grades at the moment, 49ers now at B, the others still at B-. Quite possibly will improve once seen in game action.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived