Atlanta Falcons to wear throwbacks in 2009

TFoA

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for the AFL teams, that's true. But the various other clubs wearing throwback alts, it's more about selling new merchandise than it is any one specific anniversary.

The NFL doesn't have a "90th Anniversary" logo, do they? If this was about the 90th, they would.

I would think that the league requested that some of the non-original AFC and NFC teams to wear throwbacks when they played the original AFL teams this year.

I still can't see them wearing these and fitting the Falcon logo on the sleeve. It's possible with a fan jersey because they are all tailored made for specific sizes not cuts like the NFL players. The problem with the NFL today is that most players wear close to nothing as far as sleeves so having a logo with 3 stripes, even with numbers on the shoulder is gonna' be a challenge!

Thinking about it, I remembered that in '94 when the Falcons wore their throwbacks that they moved the Falcon logo to the sleeve. I don't know if that version of their uni ever existed with the Falcon in the sleeve or it was just there because sleeves at that time were begining to dissapear as well!

jessietuggle.jpg

jessietuggle2.jpg

I still can't see them wearing these and fitting the Falcon logo on the sleeve. It's possible with a fan jersey because they are all tailored made for specific sizes not cuts like the NFL players. The problem with the NFL today is that most players wear close to nothing as far as sleeves so having a logo with 3 stripes, even with numbers on the shoulder is gonna' be a challenge!

Dolphins home jersey has a logo plus seven tiny stripes at the cuff, so it can be done.

Thinking about it, I remembered that in '94 when the Falcons wore their throwbacks that they moved the Falcon logo to the sleeve. I don't know if that version of their uni ever existed with the Falcon in the sleeve or it was just there because sleeves at that time were begining to dissapear as well!

The falcon was moved to inside the stripes starting in 1987.

http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/1980s/1987.htm#

Atlanta87.gif

falcons.jpg

tc.png

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

The falcon was moved to inside the stripes starting in 1987.

Ok, well there you go! They can wear a throwback of the '87's which is pretty much the same as the one's worn during the Bartkowski era give or take a few changes, and they can get away with having the logo in the stripes since it was originally there. I wouldn't reduce the stripes like Miami does to fit the logo on the sleeve though...it kinda' negates the whole 'stripe' era when players wore sleeves to accomodate them.

Wow....a DB actually wearing thigh and knee pads....makes me feel old since I remember all of this! And what's that....a sleeve I see?

Wow....a DB actually wearing thigh and knee pads....makes me feel old since I remember all of this! And what's that....a sleeve I see?

And that's not even getting into the complete madness of the players' pants covering the kneecap.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Someone told me on a Saints board that ESPN reported the team was going to wear their 1966 style throwbacks...which aside from the red helmets and some tweaking are pretty much what JG had them wearing in the 90's

NFLConcept-2009FalconsThrowbacks196.png

Someone told me on a Saints board that ESPN reported the team was going to wear their 1966 style throwbacks...which aside from the red helmets and some tweaking are pretty much what JG had them wearing in the 90's

NFLConcept-2009FalconsThrowbacks196.png

Did they really? It would make sense since it is a 1960's era uni, and they are scheduled to play the Jets, Bills, and Pats this year.

Also, I'm in the same boat of wishing that they went with the 1980's set. It's my favorite look.

I recall the throwbacks they wore in 94 were the 1980 unis, with just the northwestern striping and no falcon.

They also had white numbering, so I don't know exactly what year they were trying to capture with those.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Pulling out my scan of that era's Falcons unis - this was taken from my Pro Football Experience book (fantastic photos from the '60s and '70s):

AtlantaFalcons_1969.jpg

Gotta love the thin gold stripes on the helmet, as an homage to Georgia Tech fans.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived