Atlanta Falcons to wear throwbacks in 2009

TFoA

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to tell who's ripping off/inspiring whom:

Breakout.png

slideshow_1222124_1.jpg

Helmet and pant striping aside, it's basically the same damn thing.

Georgia's not only copying the Falcons' old duds, they're also ripping off the Green Bay Packers. Two for one!

Well, in point of fact, they actually have an agreement with the Packers to use the "G".

Yeah, but Gerogia has established themselves as a relative power in football, so why not go with something that's their own? Would UGA fans be up in arms if they did something unique? I would hope not.

6uXNWAo.png

It's hard to tell who's ripping off/inspiring whom:

Breakout.png

slideshow_1222124_1.jpg

Helmet and pant striping aside, it's basically the same damn thing.

Georgia's not only copying the Falcons' old duds, they're also ripping off the Green Bay Packers. Two for one!

Well, in point of fact, they actually have an agreement with the Packers to use the "G".

That, and if we want to be accurate about it, the Falcons are "ripping off" UGA since the uniform design was based upon UGA's uniforms at the time. The Falcons back then were a red jersey away from looking like UGA with a bird and a gold stripe on their helmet.

FTR, I still like the current uniforms better. Love the throwbacks, but that doesn't mean I'd go back to them in a heartbeat. :P

FTR, I still like the current uniforms better. Love the throwbacks, but that doesn't mean I'd go back to them in a heartbeat. :P

I dig the Falcons current look, the one that was introduced in 2003 or '04. It blows away anything the Falcons have used before. However, I would like to see them clean up the jerseys a bit, less busy would be nice, and mayyybe try a red helmet.

6uXNWAo.png

A somewhat faded shot of the home set:

1966_Falcons_NickRasas.jpg

I have a throwback Tommy Nobis of this era. It is incredibly good looking.

Is yours the sleeve with the logo or with stripes?

tommynobis.jpg

This is kind of funny - could the logos be any bigger? And the helmet bird is a hunchback. :P

expatl67.jpg

Ironic that the Falcons look like Georgia since the Saints are Atlanta's biggest rival and GT is Georgia's (or one of 'em, Florida might argue the point).

brees.jpgReggie_Ball_throwing.jpg

BTW, thank God they didn't do THIS in 1974. From helmethut.com:

atlan1.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I dig the Falcons current look, the one that was introduced in 2003 or '04. It blows away anything the Falcons have used before. However, I would like to see them clean up the jerseys a bit, less busy would be nice, and mayyybe try a red helmet.

Since they insist on wearing red jerseys with white pants, I think it would really help their look to switch to a red helmet.

Wow! As I suspected, this design works extremely well even with today's truncated sleeves. One small nitpick ('cause that's what geeks are all about): The complete striping pattern on the original socks was actually white-black-thick red-black-white. Back in those days, players wore baseball-type stirrups with white socks over them, and the striping pattern that would appear was dependent on how high they pulled up their white socks. Most likely the designer of the throwbacks just saw a pic like the one shown above of the road set and concluded that the pattern was just white-black-thick red. With many if not most of today's players wearing the white part of their now one=pierce socks quite low, there is certainly plenty of room to have the complete and correct pattern. All in all, these throwbacks look fantastic, though...

While I'm pontificating on socks... I've always found the evolution of NFL sock design kind of interesting. As I said above, back in the day the striping pattern on any player depended on how high he pulled up his whites. Sometime around the late 60s or 70s, the trend was for players to pull the whites up so high they obscured almost all of the colored sock underneath. This fad continued for quite awhile and led, I believe, to many frustrated designers simply giving up using stripes and just going with solid color socks. Of course, it seems that today's players don't like the stripes anyway and would prefer to have just one solid color -- a look which i find quite hideous. Probably because I'm old and living in the past...

I'm glad you posted this because I had that problem when doing a uniform history for the Saints. Another lil' fact is that players used athletic tape which was white in those days, around the top of their calf to keep their socks from falling down. Many people don't realize that some teams never had this mysterious white stripe incorporated into their design, just a tactic used by the players.

Wow! As I suspected, this design works extremely well even with today's truncated sleeves. One small nitpick ('cause that's what geeks are all about): The complete striping pattern on the original socks was actually white-black-thick red-black-white. Back in those days, players wore baseball-type stirrups with white socks over them, and the striping pattern that would appear was dependent on how high they pulled up their white socks. Most likely the designer of the throwbacks just saw a pic like the one shown above of the road set and concluded that the pattern was just white-black-thick red. With many if not most of today's players wearing the white part of their now one=pierce socks quite low, there is certainly plenty of room to have the complete and correct pattern. All in all, these throwbacks look fantastic, though...

While I'm pontificating on socks... I've always found the evolution of NFL sock design kind of interesting. As I said above, back in the day the striping pattern on any player depended on how high he pulled up his whites. Sometime around the late 60s or 70s, the trend was for players to pull the whites up so high they obscured almost all of the colored sock underneath. This fad continued for quite awhile and led, I believe, to many frustrated designers simply giving up using stripes and just going with solid color socks. Of course, it seems that today's players don't like the stripes anyway and would prefer to have just one solid color -- a look which i find quite hideous. Probably because I'm old and living in the past...

I'm glad you posted this because I had that problem when doing a uniform history for the Saints. Another lil' fact is that players used athletic tape which was white in those days, around the top of their calf to keep their socks from falling down. Many people don't realize that some teams never had this mysterious white stripe incorporated into their design, just a tactic used by the players.

I think I'm going to start a new thread on football socks, as I have some more thoughts on the subject and i don't want to totally hijack the current thread...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Just thought I'd throw this out here!

FalconsBJ-WP.png

That does look very nice, but it carries over my main gripe with their current set: a fairly prominent usage of silver in the logo, a color found nowhere else on the uniform.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That does look very nice, but it carries over my main gripe with their current set: a fairly prominent usage of silver in the logo, a color found nowhere else on the uniform.

Yeah that get's me to me to!.....

Thought I'd try a shot a re-vamping their logo and taking away all the elments that they don't need. Just did this about an hour ago, tried to combine both the old and current logos into this one. I flared out the tail design and tried to create an illusional "AF" along with the wing and arm to make the 'F'. Can ya' see it? C&C

Concept-Helmet-Falcons.png

the thing that bothers me is when people say the Falcons "dont need" the silver lining or the red stripes on the wings. honestly, that is standardizing and knocking down the logo to the simplest form possible. let them use those cool red stripes... i really like them.

anyone who thinks the old logo is better than the new one is crazy in my mind.

the thing that bothers me is when people say the Falcons "dont need" the silver lining or the red stripes on the wings. honestly, that is standardizing and knocking down the logo to the simplest form possible. let them use those cool red stripes... i really like them.

<----crazy, I guess.

<----crazy, I guess.

Me too. The old one had class.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived