New scoreboard bug on Versus

fuzzy510

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all bad. you can barely make out the logos, and on standard definition it looks too tiny for the score, the period and time left.

Even on HD, I was noticing that I had to squint to see how much time Vancouver had left on their power play. Now, I may be watching on a 19-inch monitor, but still......

Hahahahahahahaha. That 19-inch monitor needs to go my friend. If you watch it on a 52 inch, you will have no trouble at all reading the screen.

glossysig5.png

It's all bad. you can barely make out the logos, and on standard definition it looks too tiny for the score, the period and time left.

Even on HD, I was noticing that I had to squint to see how much time Vancouver had left on their power play. Now, I may be watching on a 19-inch monitor, but still......

Hahahahahahahaha. That 19-inch monitor needs to go my friend. If you watch it on a 52 inch, you will have no trouble at all reading the screen.

If you want to buy me one, I'll gladly take it, but on a student's budget, 19 is about all I can afford, haha.

If you want to buy me one, I'll gladly take it, but on a student's budget, 19 is about all I can afford, haha.

Haha sorry man, i don't have the cash either.

glossysig5.png

I disagree. You got quite a bit today... :D

I disagree. You got quite a bit today... :D

Uh shhhhhh!

glossysig5.png

Okay, cute.

Anyway, I'm of the belief that no scorebug space should be wasted or redundant, taking up the smallest amount of screen space possible. You do not need the logo and the full city name when three-letter abbreviations will suffice, and there are plenty of times for viewers to associate the team logos with the players on lower-third graphics and cutaways. The blank spaces where penalty clocks run can be done away with entirely when a penalty clock is not running. And though it's not totally necessary, I'll repeat the point I made a while ago where I said there should be some way of indicating when TV timeouts are forthcoming for newer viewers who may not know that it's stoppages after 6/10/14 except goals and icing. Timeouts are part of the game. Anyway, this whole thing can be whittled down to probably about 33% of the space it takes up now, with no information lost.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Okay, cute.

Anyway, I'm of the belief that no scorebug space should be wasted or redundant, taking up the smallest amount of screen space possible. You do not need the logo and the full city name when three-letter abbreviations will suffice, and there are plenty of times for viewers to associate the team logos with the players on lower-third graphics and cutaways. The blank spaces where penalty clocks run can be done away with entirely when a penalty clock is not running. And though it's not totally necessary, I'll repeat the point I made a while ago where I said there should be some way of indicating when TV timeouts are forthcoming for newer viewers who may not know that it's stoppages after 6/10/14 except goals and icing. Timeouts are part of the game. Anyway, this whole thing can be whittled down to probably about 33% of the space it takes up now, with no information lost.

Touche.

glossysig5.png

Okay, cute.

I agree 100% with you. If you want to see a perfect scoreboard bug, then watch the World Championships on Universal Sports, it's tiny and has the score and both teams and the time in the center. Never heard of Universal Sports? Neither had I, until we upgraded to digital and I was flipping channels and ran across last year's World Championship Final. It was listed as NBC Raw in the channel lineup card that we got. It's a channel that shows Olympic sports. Here's the link for those who want to see if they have it: http://www.universalsports.com/HomePage.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23000.

Watching the Carolina-Boston game, looks like they toned down the light reflection effect on the logos some so that theyre more visibile now.

They used the Bruins' old logo, though. Sloppy work, Versus.

But it wasn't just the old logo. I'm pretty sure they used the throwback logo, the retro one they wore as alts before EDGE. You know, these.

Really weird. I don't know how hard it is to get right.

Watching the Carolina-Boston game, looks like they toned down the light reflection effect on the logos some so that theyre more visibile now.

They used the Bruins' old logo, though. Sloppy work, Versus.

But it wasn't just the old logo. I'm pretty sure they used the throwback logo, the retro one they wore as alts before EDGE. You know, these.

Really weird. I don't know how hard it is to get right.

Well, they all look relatively similar to non-logo geeks. I'm pretty sure WHDH was using that logo the last time I was home haha.

• 2 weeks later...

1 round into the new bug and Versus has already made some tweaks. The logos have been enlarged to take up both rows on the scorebug. The period and time are not on a whie background. The city names and other text is alsro larger and bolded. I'm watching in SD so I don't know what the sides for HD look like, if there were changes there.

Archived