Super Bowl in London By 2014?

From a kind of selfish point of view- WOOT!

I think the NFL is taking its life in its own hands hosting a Superbowl in London in February however! But then if London then why not New York or Boston?

There are obvious logistic question that need to be thought about- for instance is an afternoon (in the US) Superbowl ok? I don't think that logistics in the UK (transport etc) would allow the game to begin much later than 7 in the evening over here, which is about 2 ET. I think the Superbowl usually starts about 12.30 AM in the UK. A through the night game in the height of winter seems unlikely! It would be a fantastic spectacle though!

Make it an even trade. We'll give you a Super Bowl if you host an EPL Finals game here in the USA.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make it an even trade. We'll give you a Super Bowl if you host an EPL Finals game here in the USA.

There's no such thing as an EPL Final game.

Well some kind of major English soccer event. I cant as for the Champions League Finale because that's all of Europe, not just England.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

There's no such thing as an EPL Final game.

Well some kind of major English soccer event. I cant as for the Champions League Finale because that's all of Europe, not just England.

FA Cup final.

1zqy8ok.gif

I think the NFL is taking its life in its own hands hosting a Superbowl in London in February however! But then if London then why not New York or Boston?

There are obvious logistic question that need to be thought about- for instance is an afternoon (in the US) Superbowl ok? I don't think that logistics in the UK (transport etc) would allow the game to begin much later than 7 in the evening over here, which is about 2 ET. I think the Superbowl usually starts about 12.30 AM in the UK. A through the night game in the height of winter seems unlikely! It would be a fantastic spectacle though!

The interesting thing with Wembley is that I doubt a Superbowl site has had a bigger capacity in a long time. (Wembley is can hold about 90,000 I think!)

TBH I am not sure Wembley is a very practical option for the Superbowl. There were one or two night time Boxing fights in the old Wembley, but they were in the height of summer. A Superbowl in February at night is going to be VERY cold. Unless the NFL is happy to have a Superbowl kick off a lot earlier than usual.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The interesting thing with Wembley is that I doubt a Superbowl site has had a bigger capacity in a long time. (Wembley is can hold about 90,000 I think!)

TBH I am not sure Wembley is a very practical option for the Superbowl. There were one or two night time Boxing fights in the old Wembley, but they were in the height of summer. A Superbowl in February at night is going to be VERY cold. Unless the NFL is happy to have a Superbowl kick off a lot earlier than usual.

New Cowboys Stadium has 80,000 seats, but the endzones can each hold another additional 10,000 each side. So capacity is not the issue. Game time will be moved as the NFLPA should already negotiate starting times for any non-North American Super Bowl to start at around 6:30 local time. When the story was first reported, I did the math and those games will start too late for peak performance.

Honestly, if they are wanting to move it to President's Day weekend, then they should just do it and also make plans for other cities in intervals. Take any German city with a roofed stadium. Stade de France will still be under 20 years old, whatever Stadium Australia is now named as it is just like an XXL Quest Field.

I also think that the NFL realizes that the aftermarket for tickets would be cut down if you had to plan to travel internationally. it will be harder to StubHub, eBay, or craigslist if you have to hold a passport and get your ticket under 14 days of travel and it will be hard to get a charter to anyhere in Europe or Asia in two weeks In reality, the season ticket holders to most teams don't have the cash to go to the Super Bowl after seeing one or two home playoffs games, then travel within another two week period.

The Super Bowl is a corporate event and that it OK with me as I have been to three of them, and the Final Four and WC 1994 were the same thing when here and went. NASCAR is pretty much willing to change their schedule and move the Daytona 500 from President's Day weekend since they know that Super Bowl is the #1 sports event.

Goddell best not think of moving the Super Bowl outside the US anytime soon.

Sure, a lot of regular folks don't actually attend the game, but the regular folks in the cities that host it receive an economic boom from the week-plus of festivities that go on. In this day in age, that would be a terrible move for the NFL......

Bring it to Canada before Europe in my opinion.

If you can't sell out the one regular season game you got, you should not get a Super Bowl.... It should stay in the USA, no Canada, no Europe. At least until a NFL team goes there and succeeds.

saBS.png

I also think that the NFL realizes that the aftermarket for tickets would be cut down if you had to plan to travel internationally. it will be harder to StubHub, eBay, or craigslist if you have to hold a passport and get your ticket under 14 days of travel and it will be hard to get a charter to anyhere in Europe or Asia in two weeks In reality, the season ticket holders to most teams don't have the cash to go to the Super Bowl after seeing one or two home playoffs games, then travel within another two week period.

The NFL had Ticketmaster run the official "TicketExchange" site for SBXLIII, and various teams have set-up's with StubHub, they don't care about trying to stop that kinda stuff anymore because they are getting their cut.

The NFL had Ticketmaster run the official "TicketExchange" site for SBXLIII, and various teams have set-up's with StubHub, they don't care about trying to stop that kinda stuff anymore because they are getting their cut.

Increasingly people selling tickets are doing this and running there own ticket exchanges. Its a way of saying to touts that there is no need for there business, basically. Doesn't necessarily get rid of them, but does mean the market is more controlled than before.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

A Super Bowl in NYC (New Giants/Jets Stadium), Washington, Chicago before a Super Bowl in London.

If you're gonna have it in a cold weather city in Europe, you should have at least one or more in a US cold weather city, especially three big markets that have helped support the NFL since it's earliest days...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I have watched every Super Bowl since 1968. If this happens I will NEVER watch, or attend another NFL game. <_<

I think the NFL will survive.

You know, it seems like some people cant have an opinion here without someone making a smart assed comment.

How many Super Bowls have you attended?. I have been to seven and spent thousands of dollars in doing so. Yeah the NFL will survive. I would rather watch the CFL anyway.

Goddell best not think of moving the Super Bowl outside the US anytime soon.

Sure, a lot of regular folks don't actually attend the game, but the regular folks in the cities that host it receive an economic boom from the week-plus of festivities that go on. In this day in age, that would be a terrible move for the NFL......

Great point.

I have watched every Super Bowl since 1968. If this happens I will NEVER watch, or attend another NFL game. <_<

You know, it seems like some people cant have an opinion here without someone making a smart assed comment.

How many Super Bowls have you attended?. I have been to seven and spent thousands of dollars in doing so. Yeah the NFL will survive. I would rather watch the CFL anyway.

That wasn't a "smart assed" comment. The NFL isn't worried about what one fan will think or do. I've always hated when people say "I will never..." when they hear something they don't like.

This doesn't change the fundamental fabric of the NFL or the sport. It would be a one-off event and probably not happen again.

Honestly, I kind of find that statement to be pointless.

(Then again, isn't arguing on a message board pointless? Meh, whatever.)

That wasn't a "smart assed" comment. The NFL isn't worried about what one fan will think or do. I've always hated when people say "I will never..." when they hear something they don't like.

This doesn't change the fundamental fabric of the NFL or the sport. It would be a one-off event and probably not happen again.

Well, I found it to be a smart assed remark, as if the countless amount of money Ive spent on NFL games, Super bowls and whatever, mean nothing. The NFL SHOULD be worried about their fans, because they are paying customers, And I have not watched on tv or been to a MLB game since 1996. So you can hate "I will never" . I stick to my guns,on these issues. I didnt start an argument. I stated my point, and it was valid.

Archived