Old Tampa Bay Lightning Logo

cmm

While looking at old intro's to sporting events on YouTube (yes, I am a loser), I came across this one from the 1993 Flyers:

They have a nifty little animation where pucks from every NHL team fly by. Anyway, if you scroll ahead to the 0:52 mark, there's a logo for the Lightning I've never seen before. It's a bolt in a gray circle with "Tampa Bay" scribbled on it. Anyone know the story behind it? An old alternate logo? Something the Flyers' TV guys just whipped up?

(I also like how the Flyers' channel was Prism and they played at the Spectrum...and Mike Emrick looks so young)

I have never, ever seen that logo before. I have merchandise, shirts, books, etc going back to the first season and that is in/on none of them. Interesting.

This might be a very primitive logo, considering that the "Tampa Bay" is in the original Lightning font, and that the bolt looks like the old bolt. It's probably a prototype of some sort.

I think it was the logo which Esposito and his ownership group used to get the team. They were always going to be known as the Lightning, and this was before the Japanese investors, Kokusai Green, got involved. I think this was just their early logo and workmark.

That PRISM music is bad for the 90's.

My favorite Flyers' opening music ever.

The special effects when the music is playing is priceless.

I really do love the song though - kind of like an NHL version of Roundball Rock. I'll even bet it's John Tesh.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived