LumberJax pulling up camp

OMMF

So about 1/2 of the NLL teams are really succeeding. I know Rochester is pretty well known in the area too, but they play in Blue Cross Arena, I would be surprised if that arena is much over 10,000.

Blue Cross seats 11,215 for the K-hawks.

Considering the markets that have failed in the time since they came into the league in '95, the fact that Rochester is still around and still a viable part of the league is a pretty big deal. They averaged under 7,500 people last year, which was eighth out of twelve. Those who are closer to the league might know better than me, but I'd like to think that unless they really get crunched, they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

philly.png

I do know that the Ravens couldn't afford what GM Place was asking for rent.

Hell, even WWE goes to the PC because they don't like the rent price at GM Place.

But You'd think that the Ravens could go to PC for a decent rate. I donno....

What I never really understood about the NLL is why they don't try to go to smaller venues like OHL/AHL/WHL/QMJHL (5,000ish seats) arenas. I mean, all logic would say that the rent would be much cheaper and they don't necessarily need the tickets sales of the bigger stadiums to be able to pay these guys.

I mean, if your drawing more, then cool, but if not why blow your brains out? Use the minor league stadiums.

Actually, the latest word is that's pretty much what the Jax, and now the San Jose Stealth are doing.

The Jax are reportedly very interested in setting up shop in Everett, WA, just north of Seattle, at the 8,300-seat Comcast Arena, home of the WHL's Silvertips.

Meanwhile the Stealth are looking into Stockton's 8,000-seat Arena for their new home.

Actually, that's what I heard about San Jose and it was kinda the basis of the thought process.

I'm not exactly original I guess.

After reading The Barrish's comment I had a little thought of my own, in terms of trying a new market.

Historically speaking, Lacrosse is very popular in Ontario. (not to sound like I'm inserting lacrosse for hockey {in terms of the whole NHL Phoenix/Hamilton battle}and making Ontario seem like the best place on the planet.)

In fact, places like 6 nations are crazy for it. Admittedly it's because of the large native-indian (or whatever is politically correct to say)population.

We have suitable size arenas in Kitchener-Waterloo and Peterbourough, so why not give it a try?

In fact, I know I'm beginning to ramble abit, but what about collegiate field lacrosse in the USA? I understand that does pretty well, why wouldn't they try an area close to a school that draws well? Again, worth a shot at least, right?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

In fact, I know I'm beginning to ramble abit, but what about collegiate field lacrosse in the USA? I understand that does pretty well, why wouldn't they try an area close to a school that draws well? Again, worth a shot at least, right?

Like Baltimore and Syracuse, neither of which made it out of the '90s?

philly.png

Like Baltimore and Syracuse, neither of which made it out of the '90s?

Like I said, just a thought.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Most of the NCAA field lax powerhouses are in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic states, and the NLL has at least tried pretty much every large city in those states already, obviously with wildly varying degrees of success. Field lax and boxla are like day and night, so the former's popularity in any given city won't necessarily help the latter. That's why the Swarm have been specifically trying to grow the box version of lax in Minnesota (where field lax is already pretty well established), by setting up and running youth boxla leagues in the Twin Cities area. God knows we have plenty of hockey rinks to play it in. :)

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...
They could keep the nickname. Seattle Stealth sounds good. It fits the area. Maybe change the logo to a more Aerospace theme. Also change the colors to navy blue, forest green and silver.

No way a team in Everett gets called the Seattle anything. They do their best to make sure you know Everett is it's own city.

They could keep the nickname. Seattle Stealth sounds good. It fits the area. Maybe change the logo to a more Aerospace theme. Also change the colors to navy blue, forest green and silver.

Maybe they could crib from the KC Brigade's stealth-bomber logo.

5628.gif

CCSLC signature.png

I hope the Jax franchise find a new market, somewhere. I hate to see teams fold. I'm still vying for Salt Lake, but maybe Oklahoma City or Las Vegas would work.

There's now a rumor making the rounds on the NLL Insider forums that has the Jax moving to Abbotsford, BC next season, then on to Vancouver in 2011 (after the Winter Olympics).

CCSLC signature.png

I hope the Jax franchise find a new market, somewhere. I hate to see teams fold. I'm still vying for Salt Lake, but maybe Oklahoma City or Las Vegas would work.

There's now a rumor making the rounds on the NLL Insider forums that has the Jax moving to Abbotsford, BC next season, then on to Vancouver in 2011 (after the Winter Olympics).

Would that cause any problems with the former Ravens franchise?

Correct me if I'm wrong but that franchise is just "on hold" not actually folded. I've heard a couple rumors of them coming back into the fold, granted most recent was for this past season and all rumors died when the announcement of the strike was made, but I thought that was the case none-the-less.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that franchise is just "on hold" not actually folded. I've heard a couple rumors of them coming back into the fold, granted most recent was for this past season and all rumors died when the announcement of the strike was made, but I thought that was the case none-the-less.

Actually, if I remember right, a recent court ruling said that group no longer has the exclusive rights to the Vancouver market.

So, the city's open season again!

(BTW, good move with the NLL going with the not-so-huge arenas. More intimate setting, plus the stands look much fuller too!)

bYhYmxh.png

Actually, if I remember right, a recent court ruling said that group no longer has the exclusive rights to the Vancouver market.

So, the city's open season again!

(BTW, good move with the NLL going with the not-so-huge arenas. More intimate setting, plus the stands look much fuller too!)

Really? That's great news! I'd love to see the NLL back in the Vancouver area!

Uh-oh...

I just visited NLL.com to see what they had to say about Duane Jacobs resigning as Swarm head coach, and noticed that on the top of the page, where there are usually twelve team-logo icons linking to the team Web sites, there are now only eleven of them.

The Stealth are still there. The Jax aren't.

Portland is also conspicuously absent from the Teams pulldown menu.

CCSLC signature.png

Another bump for this thread, with reports of a Jax dispersal draft this coming Tuesday. No word on whether it will be a one-year deal like with Arizona, or a permanent dispersal like Chicago. However the speculated move to Vancouver, Abbotsford, or Vancouver via Abbotsford is apparently still possible for 2011.

In any case...

R.I.P.

nllportlandrs8.png

2005-2009

CCSLC signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived