Back In The Game?

Linus

They need to be built the right way, and if so, the potential of the market will be realized.

"Will be realized" is a reach. "Might be realized." It's not like assembling a grill, where if you follow the directions in the assembly guide to the letter, you will have assembled a grill, and can arrive at no other outcome but having assembled a grill. Sometimes people don't like things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suddenly it's not okay to be firm in our predictions? That's a new one for this thread.

You're right. The potential only MIGHT be reached. That's a given. I believe it WILL be reached so long as they go about things in the right manner. I'm not convinced that part will happen, though, but I hope it does.

If the team continues to operate in a "just getting by but even then not really" manner, it will continue to have less than stellar results and will fail. I don't think it has to fail, though, so hopefully they take a newer, better approach.

"Le Grille"? What the hell is that?!?

Why has Gary Bettman failed at every attempt at masonry?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Besides, some mythical potential future fanbase that they may or may not build isn't really the point. They have failed to build a current one, and can't go on losing tens of millions of dollars a year while they wait for the market to magically develop around them.

Perhaps you wouldn't, but the NHL owners believe they CAN wait for that fanbase. And it's their call.

You don't move into a new market like that and expect it to not take a couple generations. People often say the NHL is being short-sighted, but it seems clear to me they've actually made long-term decisions and are sticking to them.

That's the public face they like to present.

Until the League actually goes under oath, then has to admit that the team may well be forced to move in the next couple years.

"Out of the way." Okay, I'm looking at Google Maps. Relative to other metropolitan areas with hockey teams, Greater Phoenix isn't even that big! It's just a little cluster of ring-road expressways and long straight Cartesian roads. Their arena, adjacent to the Cardinals' stadium which people sometimes manage to attend, is right off a goddamn expressway! There's an exit right there and everything! People talk about the Coyotes as playing "in the desert." To hear it from some people, the arena is actually located smack-dab in the middle of a freaking desert. It's not really that far from anything, especially in a new American city where there's no traditional "city center" as we know it like there is in a New York or Boston or Philadelphia or Washington. And besides, who doesn't have to go "out of the way" to go to a game, in any sport? Getting to a place where 20,000 other people are simultaneously trying to go is kinda not easy. Whether that means living in the city and dealing with trains, or driving in from the burbs, attending a sporting event isn't exactly like swinging through the bank. Look at Wrigley Field. Driving there is a pain in the ass because you have to find a parking space somewhere somehow without paying $100 for the privilege. Nonetheless, 41,000 people find a way to do it 81 times a year. Look at Gillette Stadium! Talk about "out of the way," it's in the middle of absolute butt:censored:ing nowhere because Kraft wouldn't or couldn't buy real estate closer to Boston, and yet those jerks manage to drive all the way from Boston and environs to that big inaccessible blotch of sprawl. I don't buy it with the Marlins, I don't buy it with the Coyotes, I don't buy it with anyone. "Out of the way" is never an excuse.

So you trust Google Maps instead of asking someone from Glendale who drives down to the area almost every week? I'm looking at this map and thinking how old is this? Everything that you say there is a desert, has a hotel, a spring training stadium, a high rise in construction, shops, restaurants. Doesn't even look like desert now. Dude this had to be taken a year ago. We weren't built in the late 1600's to 1700's and the Phoenix area is still growing, alot of cities here aren't even 100 years old and the oldest incorporated city is only 130 years old. Sorry Phoenix doesn't fit your mold, sorry you have to rely on a map that isn't even up to snuff.

READING IS A SKILL: the point I was making is that the arena is not, in fact, in the middle of a desert, and that complaining that it's somehow "out of the way," a common complaint since the Jobberena was built, is a pile of crap. It's not any harder for people to get to a game in Glendale than it is for people to get to a game in Philadelphia, Montreal, and so forth.

There's a difference between driving a ways to go to a game 8x a year but 41 is just ridiculous.

6fQjS3M.png

"Out of the way." Okay, I'm looking at Google Maps. Relative to other metropolitan areas with hockey teams, Greater Phoenix isn't even that big! It's just a little cluster of ring-road expressways and long straight Cartesian roads. Their arena, adjacent to the Cardinals' stadium which people sometimes manage to attend, is right off a goddamn expressway! There's an exit right there and everything! People talk about the Coyotes as playing "in the desert." To hear it from some people, the arena is actually located smack-dab in the middle of a freaking desert. It's not really that far from anything, especially in a new American city where there's no traditional "city center" as we know it like there is in a New York or Boston or Philadelphia or Washington. And besides, who doesn't have to go "out of the way" to go to a game, in any sport? Getting to a place where 20,000 other people are simultaneously trying to go is kinda not easy. Whether that means living in the city and dealing with trains, or driving in from the burbs, attending a sporting event isn't exactly like swinging through the bank. Look at Wrigley Field. Driving there is a pain in the ass because you have to find a parking space somewhere somehow without paying $100 for the privilege. Nonetheless, 41,000 people find a way to do it 81 times a year. Look at Gillette Stadium! Talk about "out of the way," it's in the middle of absolute butt:censored:ing nowhere because Kraft wouldn't or couldn't buy real estate closer to Boston, and yet those jerks manage to drive all the way from Boston and environs to that big inaccessible blotch of sprawl. I don't buy it with the Marlins, I don't buy it with the Coyotes, I don't buy it with anyone. "Out of the way" is never an excuse.

So you trust Google Maps instead of asking someone from Glendale who drives down to the area almost every week? I'm looking at this map and thinking how old is this? Everything that you say there is a desert, has a hotel, a spring training stadium, a high rise in construction, shops, restaurants. Doesn't even look like desert now. Dude this had to be taken a year ago. We weren't built in the late 1600's to 1700's and the Phoenix area is still growing, alot of cities here aren't even 100 years old and the oldest incorporated city is only 130 years old. Sorry Phoenix doesn't fit your mold, sorry you have to rely on a map that isn't even up to snuff.

READING IS A SKILL: the point I was making is that the arena is not, in fact, in the middle of a desert, and that complaining that it's somehow "out of the way," a common complaint since the Jobberena was built, is a pile of crap. It's not any harder for people to get to a game in Glendale than it is for people to get to a game in Philadelphia, Montreal, and so forth.

There's a difference between driving a ways to go to a game 8x a year but 41 is just ridiculous.

How so, it takes an extra 15-20 minutes to get to Glendale from Mesa and Tempe than it would Downtown Phoenix. Extra few minutes won't kill them especially when there is an expressway that will take them straight to the arena.

One needn't be a fan of Balsillie to think Bettman et al. are poor stewards of their sport. It isn't an either/or.

So you didn't read the part where they call out Bettman for being secretive about just why they don't want a team in Hamilton, and suspect the owners of kowtowing to the Maple Leafs?

The point of the article is not that the league is 100% right, the point is that no one should be white-knighting Balsillie as the savior of any troubled team he sets his sight on.

1zgyd8w.jpg

One needn't be a fan of Balsillie to think Bettman et al. are poor stewards of their sport. It isn't an either/or.

Shouldn't the stewards of the game be the IIHF, USA Hockey, and Hockey Canada, over a professional, profit-first industry? I think so.

Shouldn't the stewards of the game be the IIHF, USA Hockey, and Hockey Canada, over a professional, profit-first industry? I think so.

Stewards of their league, then. If you prefer.

They're bad, but not bad enough to kill the sport entirely. Not for a lack of trying.... :P

Well thus far the 'Yotes are averaging 17,561, aka a sellout for them. Of course there's a likely reason why:

Desperate to sell tickets for the opener, the Coyotes slashed prices to US$25 for prime tickets in the lower bowl, a reduction of more than $150 for some seats. They also cut prices to $15 in the upper deck, where tickets normally range from $15-$40.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294498

When dealing with a perishable product like a seat to a hockey game, it's a good idea to get what you can for the seats. However everyone knows that's not sustainable.

But at least they had a packed house for one night...even if it ended in them getting blanked by Columbus.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived