Back In The Game?

Linus

Well thus far the 'Yotes are averaging 17,561, aka a sellout for them. Of course there's a likely reason why:

Desperate to sell tickets for the opener, the Coyotes slashed prices to US$25 for prime tickets in the lower bowl, a reduction of more than $150 for some seats. They also cut prices to $15 in the upper deck, where tickets normally range from $15-$40.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294498

When dealing with a perishable product like a seat to a hockey game, it's a good idea to get what you can for the seats. However everyone knows that's not sustainable.

But at least they had a packed house for one night...even if it ended in them getting blanked by Columbus.

It's not all bad, though. The Blues had the cheapest tickets in the league for the last few years (and they may still on average...or maybe 2nd now) to help bring fans back to the arena. They're still affordable, but since they've built the team back the right way, they've gained the fans trust and have raised prices to a more sustainable level and one that allows them to hold a competitive budget.

If the Coyotes are one more and done in Phoenix and are just trying to recoup what they can, well then it is what it is.

But if they're going to stay and are building the team right, offering the fans very affordable tickets to bring them in is a good place to start.

I think the fact that they brought 17,500+ into the game (someone who might no more can comment on whether that accurately reflects actual attendance) is certainly a positive sign to counter the 300 or whatever that came to the save the Coyotes rally. I'll admit that that low of a number even had me worried about whether their was enough interest in Phoenix, but the fact that they can get a full arena at a hockey game is all I need to know to have confidence in the future of the market (if they build the team right).

Preliminary interest is there. Now they just have to get people hooked.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
but the fact that they can get a full arena at a hockey game is all I need to know to have confidence in the future of the market (if they build the team right).

It's one game, and at greatly reduced prices. It's the same logic that fans in Winnipeg used when a preseason game was held in the MTS Center and sold out at an average price of ~$60 per ticket; yes, you can do this for one game, but can you sustain this over not just a full season, but for the next four or five?

Let Coyote "fans" fill that stupidly-named arena for a full season, and maybe there's an argument; but considering they're charging less for a game than a trip to the state fair, they're still going to lose $20 or $30 million regardless of how well they do at the turnstiles.

There are days I wish I still had that blind, youthful optimism that I had leading into my mid-20's, but there's a reality that needs to be faced, and that reality is that after 13 years, Phoenix is a terrible major-league hockey market. Give them back the ECHL, and they'll be fine with their 4500 people per game. The Coyotes are the new Expos. Let them die.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Alright.

Unnecessary kvetching and sniping has been removed from this thread. It will all stop now--even from Lee.

Thank you, and be excellent to each other.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Alright.

Unnecessary kvetching and sniping has been removed from this thread. It will all stop now--even from Lee.

Thanks a lot for not listening to me.

Why this thread is still up even as Jim's bid is rejected is still beyond me.

Who's really in the wrong, the Coyotes for having affordable tickets or the Maple Leafs for having outrageous prices that nearly no one can afford?

I'll reiterate since my edited post was moved: Neither are in the wrong. Yes, the Leafs prices are outrageous, but there are enough suckers fans that are willing to pay those prices.

I saw, I came, I left.

Alright.

Because the NHL may yet sell this team to some moneyed individual not named Jim Balsillie who will in turn move it to parts as yet unknown, such as Kansas City, Cleveland, Portland, Las Vegas, Winnipeg, Peoria, Saskatoon, Hamilton, Yellowknife, Monterrey, Jacksonville, or Anchorage.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Alright.

Because the NHL may yet sell this team to some moneyed individual not named Jim Balsillie who will in turn move it to parts as yet unknown, such as Kansas City, Cleveland, Portland, Las Vegas, Winnipeg, Peoria, Saskatoon, Hamilton, Yellowknife, Monterrey, Jacksonville, or Anchorage.

But the key person, Basille, has dropped out. That and the post in which Lee said that the team should die, is proof enought that this thread shoudl be graveyard ASAP.

You do not choose when a thread should close. We do not close threads because the event surrounding them is "over".

Please move on.

POTD 2013-08-22

You quit reading it. See how easy that is?

Any further requests for thread closure will simply be moved elsewhere.

POTD 2013-08-22

Alright.

But the key person, Basille, has dropped out. That and the post in which Lee said that the team should die, is proof enought that this thread shoudl be graveyard ASAP.

But that does not necessarily mean the team will stay put. This market is still on significant life support at the moment. Perhaps an uneconomical life support. A move might still be in the cards.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Alright.

But that does not necessarily mean the team will stay put. This market is still on significant life support at the moment. Perhaps an uneconomical life support. A move might still be in the cards.

Bingo.

Even the NHL, much as they want the team to stay put, admits that the Coyotes may well be forced to move no matter who ends up owning them. It's not like Basillie tried to take a thriving (or even viable) franchise and move it out of town.

Yes, the prospect sucks for Coyotes fans. It must be awful to sit through all the relocation talk. But facts are facts - even under the rosiest scenarios, the market just doesn't seem capable of supporting the team.

stoot? i stot the sheriff but i did not stoot the deputy... now that my fun is over...

you constant requests to close this thread, despite being told several times by the mods that this thread was not going to happen is root to all of this... if you would have listened to lee and KJ the first several times, instead of instigating... it was your comment for KJs removal that brought me into this... so as you point one finger at me, you point 3 back at your self... better analogy... :)

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Archived