Giants Stadium Logo

xxvnyg80

I can't see the Jets doing squat to mark the occasion. They already have a 50th anniversary and AFL thing going for them, and they don't even refer to the stadium as "Giants Stadium", it's simply "The Meadowlands".

As a Jet season ticket holder, I see no reason why they needed a new stadium. Oh right, the money thing...

But I sure am going to miss this view every Sunday:

P1000207.jpg

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always thought that Giants logo looked completely dated and clunky, and the new tribute logo looks equally stale. Pretty uninspired IMO. I think it's a shame though that the two teams won't be sharing anymore, I always thought that created/added to the rivalry between the two.

lol, oops. Guess I figured in this new age of "everyone gets their own new stadium" that wouldn't be the case. Shows what I know....but good news!

I wonder if the Jets will have a separate one for themselves.

Actaully, it would be a good idea for the Jets to FINALLY get a Stadium of their own.

Besides, sharing the same stadium(s) with the Giants since 1984 is way too long.

Consider this.....now that Citi Field is now open, how about getting rid of the auto repair centers at Willets Point and building an 95,000 seat retractable dome stadium for the 2020 Summer Games if Chicago doesn't get the 2016 games ( which is most likely going to Rio!), reduce it to 85,000 for the home opener in 2021 and expand it 90,000 seats for SB LVI in 2022?

Done deal, Woody!!!

Except Woody won't be the owner of the Jets for much longer.

WELCOME TO NEW JETS CITY!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

I've always thought that Giants logo looked completely dated and clunky, and the new tribute logo looks equally stale. Pretty uninspired IMO. I think it's a shame though that the two teams won't be sharing anymore, I always thought that created/added to the rivalry between the two.

lol, oops. Guess I figured in this new age of "everyone gets their own new stadium" that wouldn't be the case. Shows what I know....but good news!

There is NO reason two build separate football stadiums. Baseball is one thing, 81 games, you sometimes get the Mets and Yanks playing at home on the same day.

But football, a normal stadium is open 10 times a year (2 preseason, 8 exhibition) and then for any concerts or other events. That's a lot of money for something not used (relatively) that frequently.

Sharing the stadium you automatically double your guaranteed gates to 20, can still have the concerts and soccer or whatever, and (theoretically) do it at half the cost. It's a football stadium, not a baseball park. Standard field, for the mostpart standard configurations. There is a lot less "individuality" than ballparks, so who really cares?

They were also able to get double the financing (2 teams for 1 stadium), though of course they totally botched the budget which is a completely separate issue.

Also, there really is no "rivalry" between the two teams. Of course you get the people who fight at bars and argue and whatnot, but the teams play each other once every 4 years. It's not like they're intra-divison rivals duking it out twice a year.

As a Jet fan I have zero problem rooting for the Giants so long as the Jets aren't affected.

To add to the above statement...

They will use lighting accents throughout the stadium to create the "Home look" for which team is playing. Green for Jets days, Blue on Giants days.

Supposedly, this is inspired by Allianz stadium in Munich which changes colors depending on the home team. Red (Bayern Munich), White (German Nat'l Team) and Blue (1860 Munich). Personally, I think this is really cool.

Allianzarenacombo.jpg

Funny because Allianz was trying to have naming right to the New Meadowlands Stadium for about 20 million to $30 million, but protests from the Jewish community had a problem with Allianz ties with the government of Nazi Germany during World War II.

There is NO reason two build separate football stadiums. Baseball is one thing, 81 games, you sometimes get the Mets and Yanks playing at home on the same day.

But football, a normal stadium is open 10 times a year (2 preseason, 8 exhibition) and then for any concerts or other events. That's a lot of money for something not used (relatively) that frequently.

I agree.

They should have shared the West Side Stadium. Those thieving Dolans couldn't have stopped the combined might of both football teams.

I agree.

They should have shared the West Side Stadium. Those thieving Dolans couldn't have stopped the combined might of both football teams.

I can't even begin to explain how terrible an idea an 80,000 seat stadium in Manhattan would be. Not only that, but domed stadiums suck, especially when all your rivals have open air stadiums.

Personally I would have liked to see the Jets and Mets go in together on their planned joint venture about 10 years ago, before that fell through. Most of the Jets fandom is from Long Island anyway.

Manhattan Jets...

...Man that sho' woulda had a nice ring to it. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I was fortunate enough to take a "hard-hat" inside tour of the stadium about ten days ago.

There are definitely separate home locker rooms for the Giants and Jets and they are both enormous. I believe that there are adjacent visitor locker rooms to each, but don't quote me on that. Each team comes out of separate tunnels in the corners of one side of the field.

I was there on a day when they were reconfiguring the videoboard panels because the team owners agreed to expand them. The ribbons were already in, but the four main boards were to be expanded in size by 25%.

The only seats that were installed spanned about a third of the top deck and were a very neutral set of blue/gray colors - meant to look full even if they weren't.

In short, the structure has been topped off since March, but many of the details have yet to be installed. But you can already tell how amazing it will be when they get it finished. Did they need a new stadium? No. Will this one be even better? No question.

Manhattan Jets...

Well of course "Jets" would NEVER be chosen for a new NY team nowadays...

Why not? I mean, I already know what you're going to say and it is idiotic, but heck, why not... so why wouldn't they pick Jets? Especially when, in another post, there are people who think that when the Coyotes move they should be the Hamilton Jets...

Manhattan Jets...

Why not? I mean, I already know what you're going to say and it is idiotic, but heck, why not... so why wouldn't they pick Jets? Especially when, in another post, there are people who think that when the Coyotes move they should be the Hamilton Jets...

Not naming a NY based team the Jets because of this is idiotic? Was it so idiotic for people to flip out at that stupid "photo op" Air Force One made a couple of weeks ago?

9-11-lights.jpg

separate stadia would have meant GRASS AT GIANTS STADIUM!!

the fieldturf-fake-rubber pellets crap is bogus!

Unless you are in a dome, football needs to be played on grass with poor field conditions at times.

as a season ticket holder for the giants... and my PSL almost already paid... I have mixed feelings about the new digs. Incredibly the non-grass issue upsets me almost more than my seat license.

Unless you are in a dome, football needs to be played on grass with poor field conditions at times.

Why, because that's how they did it back in the 50's? If better field conditions keep players healthier longer, I'm all for teams putting their best interests forward.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I agree.

I can't even begin to explain how terrible an idea an 80,000 seat stadium in Manhattan would be. Not only that, but domed stadiums suck, especially when all your rivals have open air stadiums.

On Sundays only? It'd have been fine.

The West Side Stadium wasn't a dome. Retractable roof.

Manhattan Jets...

Not naming a NY based team the Jets because of this is idiotic? Was it so idiotic for people to flip out at that stupid "photo op" Air Force One made a couple of weeks ago?

9-11-lights.jpg

Um, yeah. It kinda was.

And I work downtown, and watched the fly-by.

Manhattan Jets...

9-11-lights.jpg

Um, yeah. It kinda was.

And I work downtown, and watched the fly-by.

Which is my point. That's the exact reason why Jets wouldn't be a good name if they were, say an expansion team today.

Why, because that's how they did it back in the 50's? If better field conditions keep players healthier longer, I'm all for teams putting their best interests forward.

I said nothing about the 1950's... Field and weather conditions have been natural equalizers since the sport has been played. It is even more impressive to see the best athletes in their sport have to overcome challenges and excel.

As for keeping "players healthier longer", I'm pretty confident that the number of astroturf/fieldturf injuries over the years are proportionately greater than normal 'field injuries' that have occurred on grass. I have never heard the argument that a fake surface keeps players healthier than a natural turf surface.

If a fake surface puts a team's "best interests forward" why is it that each year, in the NFL players poll on best fields to play on, that natural surfaces dominate the top 10?

Archived