Giants Stadium Logo

xxvnyg80

Manhattan Jets...

...Man that sho' woulda had a nice ring to it. ^_^

Well of course "Jets" would NEVER be chosen for a new NY team nowadays...

Why not? I mean, I already know what you're going to say and it is idiotic, but heck, why not... so why wouldn't they pick Jets? Especially when, in another post, there are people who think that when the Coyotes move they should be the Hamilton Jets...

Not naming a NY based team the Jets because of this is idiotic? Was it so idiotic for people to flip out at that stupid "photo op" Air Force One made a couple of weeks ago?

9-11-lights.jpg

Yeah, and we should also get rid of the three major airports in the area. Nevar forget.

Um, yeah. It kinda was.

And I work downtown, and watched the fly-by.

Which is my point. That's the exact reason why Jets wouldn't be a good name if they were, say an expansion team today.

msg-117798227822.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ah, I'm still not convinced.

I don't think 9/11 is the first thing a New Yorker thinks of when the word "jet" is spoken. Far from it.

Heh. For some reason, the words I typed got eaten by the internets when I was posting. I intended on agreeing with you. Was going to say that, by the logic I had quoted, we might as well close all 3 airports in the area since we just aren't ready to acknowledge the existence of airplanes.

msg-117798227822.jpg

Unless you are in a dome, football needs to be played on grass with poor field conditions at times.

Why, because that's how they did it back in the 50's? If better field conditions keep players healthier longer, I'm all for teams putting their best interests forward.

I said nothing about the 1950's... Field and weather conditions have been natural equalizers since the sport has been played. It is even more impressive to see the best athletes in their sport have to overcome challenges and excel.

As for keeping "players healthier longer", I'm pretty confident that the number of astroturf/fieldturf injuries over the years are proportionately greater than normal 'field injuries' that have occurred on grass. I have never heard the argument that a fake surface keeps players healthier than a natural turf surface.

If a fake surface puts a team's "best interests forward" why is it that each year, in the NFL players poll on best fields to play on, that natural surfaces dominate the top 10?

Natural surfaces in good conditions are fine. Natural surfaces in circumstances such as Foxboro a couple of years ago or that Steelers-Dolphins MNF game two years ago ARE NOT fine when millions upon millions of dollars in player investments are on the line. Natural grass surface probably is better when it hasn't been turned into a swamp. Artificial surfaces, however, bring consistently decent quality regardless of the weather and are therefore more beneficial to the player's health. That is what makes artificial surfaces better to have in today's NFL.

/I'd prefer watching the best athletes excel for years as opposed to pulling a "Gale Sayers" or "Terrell Davis" and retiring early due to injury.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All surfaces (except for domes, obviously) should be natural. Bad fields are part of the game, and they should continue to be.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived