New Glens Falls AHL team named

kiwi_canadian

Hm. Okay, cool. Upstate New York is kind of a mystery to me. Nonetheless, 125,000 seems pretty small to split between the Phantoms and the River Rats, even if it's a hockey-obsessed region.

Separate MSAs...The total number of people in the CSA is over a million.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those freaking about population size, the MSA actually has 124,345 people in it. :rolleyes:

As for Akron...look North if you want AHL hockey. Cleveland has a team.

that still isn't very big at all, if you look at metro Erie is at least 300,000 and Akron above 600,000

and the Monsters, I think AHL teams do not fair well in big cities, so they would be a better fit to move

I think the AHL was fairing pretty damn well in Philadelphia, and there's only a few US cities bigger than that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The name the Brooks Group came up for the company running the organization was "Phantoms Inc."

So the name choice... not a shocker.

They'll be the Lehigh Valley Phantoms before too long.

Sets up a very cool sporting community rivalry between Allentown/Bethlehem and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, as both will have an IL baseball franchise and an AHL hockey franchise...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

For those freaking about population size, the MSA actually has 124,345 people in it. :rolleyes:

that still isn't very big at all, if you look at metro Erie is at least 300,000 and Akron above 600,000

and the Monsters, I think AHL teams do not fair well in big cities, so they would be a better fit to move

I think the AHL was fairing pretty damn well in Philadelphia, and there's only a few US cities bigger than that.

Chicago, Houston, and Milwaukee seem to be doing all right for themselves, too.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hm. Okay, cool. Upstate New York is kind of a mystery to me. Nonetheless, 125,000 seems pretty small to split between the Phantoms and the River Rats, even if it's a hockey-obsessed region.

Okay, I didn't realize there was a Glens Falls MSA separate from an Albany MSA. My mistake. I suppose it'll work. Sounds about even with Rockford or the Quad Cities.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Okay, I didn't realize there was a Glens Falls MSA separate from an Albany MSA. My mistake. I suppose it'll work. Sounds about even with Rockford or the Quad Cities.

But Glens Falls is part of the Albany-Schenectady-Amsterdam Combined Statistical Area, which apparently is a join of near-by MSA's that have "significant" ties.

#38... 1.1million peeps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Unit...atistical_Areas

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Should have been the Glens Falls Hacksaws.

Hoooooooo!

HacksawJimDuggan.jpg

You stole my joke before I could make it, tough guy!

hacksaw-jim-duggan.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Hoooooooo!

HacksawJimDuggan.jpg

hacksaw-jim-duggan.jpg

Actually, you both stole my joke!

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?s=...t&p=1154090

(and FWIW, I really get a kick out of the picture I found.)

You're right -- you win.

How much of a bummer must it be to be from Glens Falls? You've got all of that natural beauty surrounding you, your summers are warm, your falls are beautiful and your winters are Rockwell-esque. But if you travel and if anyone has ever heard of your town, they'll just yell "Hoooooooooooooo!" in your face.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Cracks me up that anyone who's ever watched wrestling knows that Hacksaw Jim Duggan is from Glens Falls. Of all the trivia to retain.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Makes sense, cause isn't this only a temporary relocation while they build a new arena in Philly?

I have heard nothing about a new arena AHL-caliber arena in Philadelphia or South Jersey.

Don't know why people keep saying this.

I said it because I keep hearing it! ^_^

You're right -- you win.

How much of a bummer must it be to be from Glens Falls? You've got all of that natural beauty surrounding you, your summers are warm, your falls are beautiful and your winters are Rockwell-esque. But if you travel and if anyone has ever heard of your town, they'll just yell "Hoooooooooooooo!" in your face.

Anytime the name of one James Stewart Duggan is invoked in a thread, we all win.

Hacksaw-Jim-Duggan-Entrance,-RLA-Melb-10.11.2007_filtered.jpg

Hoooooooo!

HacksawJimDuggan.jpg

hacksaw-jim-duggan.jpg

Damn. You ALL beat me to it. I thought I was clever. But, that's what I love about this country.

Uuuuuuuu-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Here in Chicago we pretty much had 10,000+ crowds for a majority of our Saturday night games and the home finale had 16,010 for a team that was not in the playoffs. The Wolves did do an advert to get people to show up and they did.

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Here in Chicago we pretty much had 10,000+ crowds for a majority of our Saturday night games and the home finale had 16,010 for a team that was not in the playoffs. The Wolves did do an advert to get people to show up and they did.

The Wolves didn't make the playoffs? How in the hell does that happen?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You play in what is arguably the most loaded division in the AHL. That's how.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You play in what is arguably the most loaded division in the AHL. That's how.

And you watch your coach of 11 years and 4 championships, along with a good chunk of your parent club's talent, go to wither on the vine in Atlanta. Plus your two biggest vets sign with Manitoba (er, I mean, Vancouver) and the KHL.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived