New Glens Falls AHL team named

kiwi_canadian

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually hate the new Phantoms jerseys. The cool part about them is that they had purple in them, almost an unheard of color in sports. Purple, Orange, and Black was really cool, but now it just looks like a remake of a Flyers jersey with the Phantoms logo slapped on...

andysoccer12a.png

Thank you not, Mr. Dumb Waddell :cursing:. This guy has absolutely no clue on what is going on, three of the leagues top 5 scorers this season played with the Wolves last year.

The Phantoms need the purple and should bring it back to one of the primary colors and putting the black as a trim color. Too many AHL teams lose a part of their own identity by adopting the parent clubs unis. The Rockford Ice Hogs when they were in the UHL had a great uniform with red, black, white and silver trim. The fonts they used on the sweaters was similar to the LA Angels of Anaheim with the backside of a hog and the curled tail as the shoulder logos. Now it's the original Ice Hogs logo on the Blackhawks uniforms with 2 indian heads on the shoulders. When Norfolk was the Hawks affiliate they changed their logo from blue and gold to match Chicago's colors and adopted the uniform also, but they kept the anchor on one shoulder and the indian head of the other.

The old Iowa Stars had a great uniform that IMO the Dallas Stars should have used instead of going with the all black. Green had always been a part of the Stars since the very beginning and the uniform design looked as though it harkened back to the original uniforms that the Stars had worn.

This is one reason I believe that the Wolves have never adopted Atlanta's colors and uniforms, we do have the burgundy and gold colors but the team has it's own look, style and identity.

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

This is a good idea to move. I agree with a few earlier statements about the AHL not doing good in big cities. Take this as an example:

When my hometown Summerside Western Capitals were in the finals of the 'Maritime Junior "A" Hockey League' playoffs, we sold out (4000+ with standing room only remaining) every home game in the series. The 50/50 draw during the final game (game 5) was $15,000 to the winner and the attendance was about 4200. That SAME night in Toronto, the Marlies were playing the Moose in the playoffs in Toronto and the attendance was only about 3500 or so. I think that shows that either PEI is CRAZY about hockey, OR, that the AHL does not do good in big cities. You decide.

Anyway, on the topic of the AHL, does anybody know what would happen to the Bulldogs if the Coyotes move to Hamilton?

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

This is a good idea to move. I agree with a few earlier statements about the AHL not doing good in big cities. Take this as an example:

When my hometown Summerside Western Capitals were in the finals of the 'Maritime Junior "A" Hockey League' playoffs, we sold out (4000+ with standing room only remaining) every home game in the series. The 50/50 draw during the final game (game 5) was $15,000 to the winner and the attendance was about 4200. That SAME night in Toronto, the Marlies were playing the Moose in the playoffs in Toronto and the attendance was only about 3500 or so. I think that shows that either PEI is CRAZY about hockey, OR, that the AHL does not do good in big cities. You decide.

Anyway, on the topic of the AHL, does anybody know what would happen to the Bulldogs if the Coyotes move to Hamilton?

Okay, let's try this again.

Chicago, Milwaukee, Houston, and Philadelphia (and perhaps Winnipeg and Norfolk) are all big cities with established, successful AHL franchises. The only reason the Phantoms no longer play in Philly is because their building is getting torn down, leaving them with no place to play.

The verdict is still out on Cleveland.

Toronto is doomed to the bottom third of the attendance standings simply because of the unique nature of the market, where it's Leafs or nothing. Therefore, your story of "this one time in Toronto" is an astonishingly weak foundation on which to place your poorly thought-out argument "that the AHL does not do good in big cities."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Toronto is doomed to the bottom third of the attendance standings simply because of the unique nature of the market, where it's Leafs or nothing. Therefore, your story of "this one time in Toronto" is an astonishingly weak foundation on which to place your poorly thought-out argument "that the AHL does not do good in big cities."

This.

Major Junior hockey league teams die in seas of red ink in Toronto, and they're supposed to be a license to flippin' print money in Canada.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Between this post, and your one about your "highly researched" English paper / essay, I've concluded that you are a complete dope, and the schools you have attended have failed you.

That SAME night in Toronto, the Marlies were playing the Moose in the playoffs in Toronto and the attendance was only about 3500 or so. I think that shows that either PEI is CRAZY about hockey, OR, that the AHL does not do good in big cities. You decide.

Because Toronto draws 3,500 one one night, the AHL does not do good in all big cities. You stick to this claim despite stone-cold facts being thrown in your face that prove that you are wrong. I'm going to assume that you've never been outside of a 100-mile radius of wherever you live, because you clearly are incapable of seeing the forest through the trees.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This.

Major Junior hockey league teams die in seas of red ink in Toronto, and they're supposed to be a license to flippin' print money in Canada.

In Downtown Toronto? Yes. In the teams all around Toronto, not so much.

I'd be curious to see how Brampton or Mississauga would have drawn had they not built their arenas 5 minutes apart from each other.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Since I named the team (one of 149 I believe, though my entry was PHANTOM, not Phantoms) I wish the name would have been retired. The whole Phantom thing worked because of the Ph--Philadelphia, Phillies, Phantoms.

I'm bummed.

Prize for naming the team for those who care was to be entered in a drawing for 4 season tix and an autographed Eric Lindros (remember him?) jersey. Amazingly I won the drawing and still have the jersey (it's orange for those interested). I think I went to maybe 6 games that year (100 mile drive) and gave the rest away.

Bring back the Whale!

Between this post, and your one about your "highly researched" English paper / essay, I've concluded that you are a complete dope, and the schools you have attended have failed you.

That SAME night in Toronto, the Marlies were playing the Moose in the playoffs in Toronto and the attendance was only about 3500 or so. I think that shows that either PEI is CRAZY about hockey, OR, that the AHL does not do good in big cities. You decide.

Because Toronto draws 3,500 one one night, the AHL does not do good in all big cities. You stick to this claim despite stone-cold facts being thrown in your face that prove that you are wrong. I'm going to assume that you've never been outside of a 100-mile radius of wherever you live, because you clearly are incapable of seeing the forest through the trees.

You think I am a complete dome?? No, don't think so bud. You can argue with me if you want, I'm all for it. Test me. Anyway, in this thread I was just using an example. And if any of you read the final line of my post it said "I think that shows that either PEI is CRAZY about hockey, OR, that the AHL does not do good in big cities. You decide." Where does that say "This CLEARLY shows that AHL hockey does not do good in ALL big cities". I never said that at all. Perhaps it is you that is the complete dope. I was just using it as an example. But yet agian, you can argue with me if ya want, try me.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

You think I am a complete dome?? No, don't think so bud. You can argue with me if you want, I'm all for it. Test me. Anyway, in this thread I was just using an example. And if any of you read the final line of my post it said "I think that shows that either PEI is CRAZY about hockey, OR, that the AHL does not do good in big cities. You decide." Where does that say "This CLEARLY shows that AHL hockey does not do good in ALL big cities". I never said that at all. Perhaps it is you that is the complete dope. I was just using it as an example. But yet agian, you can argue with me if ya want, try me.

I never called you a complete dome. I called you a complete dope. Your reply cements that opinion. I guess PEI must be "CRAZY" about hockey, because you've done absolutely nothing to back up your assertion that the AHL "does not do good in big cities."

By the way - only cops, firemen, and superheroes "do good" in big cities. Everyone else "does well".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The new marketing slogan for the province is "Visit PEI - we're CRAZY!!1! about hockey!"

The new marketing slogan for the province is "Visit PEI - we're CRAZY!!1! about hockey!"

And yet, not so much.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The new Phantom unis suck. I hate when AHL teams adopt the colour scheme of there NHL club and have the teams logo on the shoulders.

I think the AHL teams should have there own name, colours etc. and shouldnt appear as a minor league copy of the NHL teams.

beLEAF

In all fairness, Prince Edward Island is probably too small for the AHL. Probably too small for the Q League too, but I wish them the best anyway. Charlottetown, give me Rocket #9!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And yet, not so much.

Maybe they could go with "Visit PEI - we're CRAZY about abbreviation!!!"

I love how AHL teams adopt the look of their parent club. I grew up with the mid-90's AHL and most teams during that era had the same exact or close-to design that their parent clubs had, sans some teams like the Beast of New Haven and Syracuse Crunch. Maybe I'm just used to it or something, but I like it a lot more than AHL teams adopting their own styles.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I never called you a complete dome. I called you a complete dope. Your reply cements that opinion. I guess PEI must be "CRAZY" about hockey, because you've done absolutely nothing to back up your assertion that the AHL "does not do good in big cities."

By the way - only cops, firemen, and superheroes "do good" in big cities. Everyone else "does well".

Sorry, I hit the wrong key. I will give you 5 soild examples of AHL teams that have failed in big cities. These are in no specific order. This is just a general statement that for the most part the AHL does not do "well" in bigger cities.

1)Cincinnati RailRaiders. This would have been the cities 4th AHL team if it had sold enough season ticket deposits. Clearly not a lot of support there.

2)Baltimore Blades, Baltimore Skipjacks, Baltimore Bandits. The city has had 3 different team, yet only 1 of them managed to stay afloat for any significant period of time. A team has not played in that city in over 10 years.

3)Jacksonville Barons. The long lasting Cleveland franchise lasted only one year in Jacksonville. They were forced to fold because of the bad attendances.

4)Kentucky Thoroughblades, Louisville Panthers. These teams played in cities pretty close together. Both did not do well. For example the Kentucky franchise averaged only 4,461 fans in its final season. The Louisville franchise last only two years before going dormant because of the lack of support.

5)St. Catharines/Newmarket Saints. Dispite loving hockey in the area, attendances for both teams were dismal. The franchise lasted only 9 years total in the area before moving on to St. John's NFLD.

Archived