Pittsburgh Penguins new wordmark

Wheelhouse

If your wordmark is easily identified as just being your team name typed out in XYZ font, your wordmark isn't THAT good.

Oh, fiddle-faddle. That Red Wings wordmark is so neat.

That old Penguins one, though! Whoa! I'd never seen that before. Go back to that and Pittsburgh gold already.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember seeing that for the first time a few months ago as a small thing on the bottom of one of the pages on their website. They've been gently creeping it into more places, until now its pretty much replaced the old one.

Huge downgrade though.

oBIgzrL.png

Meh... but it's still better than the Flyers' "wordmark".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just find it odd that the Penguins would use a font so reminiscent of what appears on the backs of the Anaheim Ducks' jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This here is more proof in my mind that the days of actual script logos are all but over.

This here isn't even a wordmark to me. It's TEXT. (And that little bit of beveling isn't doing it for me, either.)

Very well said.

The new one isn't bad, it's just meh. It's text, that's all.

Noticed it popping up here and there. At the bottom of one of the two large banners hanging from the skeleton of the Consol Energy Center, and it was also on the whiteout t-shirts from Game 5 of the Pitt/Philly series. Here is the old wordmark for comparison.

No official word yet, but it seems like it may be an update for when they move into their new digs in 2010.

They've been using that wordmark on the top of the teams forums for about six months now

I like it alot!! It makes me wonder if they will modify the uniform name and number font as well.

I sincerely hope not, especially seeing as to how I believe their current style of numbers is unique to them. As much of an advocate as I am for unique team typography, I'd hate to see the current numbers dropped by the wayside in favor of some newfangled flashy edgy numeral font (that'll proably resemble many of the newer ones floating around in the lexicon of major pro sports).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think Tampa uses a very similar, if not identical number font as the Pens.

I don't think so - look at the "4". The Penguins' one has a serif at the top (kinda like the Islanders used in the fishstick era), the Bolts don't, and as far as I can remember, never have.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I think Tampa uses a very similar, if not identical number font as the Pens.

I don't think so - look at the "4". The Penguins' one has a serif at the top (kinda like the Islanders used in the fishstick era)

Didn't the fishstick Islanders use the same numerals as the motre-bame Brewers? Hard to tell since the Isles' numbers were warped to fit those stupid wave-stripes, but I think they were the same. Cool numbers, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived