Hamilton Knights

Patchey13

Okay well if I'm going to dump the Knight, I'll need a new secondary logo, so I'll get on that right away.

Knights usually have a shield of a flag they fight "under" or rather "carry" don't they? There are also the swords. So you have options for a secondary and tertiary.

Yeah, you could have some coat of arms, although it is in Canada, so you would have to be careful about it.

That's a good idea.

The elements in the City of Hamilton's flag could work pretty well:

500px-Flag_of_Hamiltonsvg.png

According to the description on wikipedia (I know, it's wikipedia, but still), the chains and the Cinquefoil also have significance to the city individually. So, if you wanted to incorporate one of those elements into a shield, you could do so without sacrificing the meaning.

Great job Patchey. The horse logo is very cool, and would be unique to the league (there isn't a single horse-themed logo in use, now that the Flames' alternate has been retired). I really like the colour scheme as well, regardless of the similarity to the Flyers. I'm looking forward to your next update.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it looks a little like a terrier to me. I think if you put a jaw line around the horse it will look really good.

Yeah i have to agree i think the horse looks more dog like than horse like. I like the colours and everything else about the concept which i think is very successful and I like the idea of the horse as the logo but think more research on what horses actually looks like needs to be done in order to make this one a complete success.

Changing the jawline, lengthening the head slightly and adding muzzle/top lip mouth definition and looking at the shape of the ears will really help define the horse under the armor if you do that you're on a real winner with this one and it'll be a very strong identity.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Please, for any Hamilton concepts, avoid the use of the city flag! Its a terrible flag! I hate the flag with a passion and I hope that there is a new flag in the near future.

beLEAF

Please, for any Hamilton concepts, avoid the use of the city flag! Its a terrible flag! I hate the flag with a passion and I hope that there is a new flag in the near future.

The colours are iffy, but the separate components are both unique and interesting.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Ive been working on updating the logo, but I can't for the life of me add a jawline to this logo, and ideas?

Think the best way to do it would be to forget the logo just now and work on producing a great horse profile, plenty of research photos and a couple of hours of sketching should see you right. Then once you have a horse your happy with add armour to it to complete the logo.

I think you may be finding it tricky to add the jaw line to the current one because as it stands the head is a little on the short side and the proportions may be throwing you off a little. I could be wrong but that's how i'd approach it if it were me.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Okay, I was having some internet problems for the past two days, but Im good to go now.

I made a last ditch effort on the jaw-line thing.

knights4.png

I extended the jaw, and made the orange cut in to the jaw to give it some definition.

Okay, I was having some internet problems for the past two days, but Im good to go now.

knights4.png

I extended the jaw, and made the orange cut in to the jaw to give it some definition.

It's better but, dont take this the wrong way, did you do what i suggested about drawing the horse first without the armour and then adding that once you were happy with the horse?

One of the best tutors i had at college used to say any good piece of work comes as a result of research, research, research and once you've done that do your research.

Go find a photo, no go find a dozen of a horses profiles and see how your drawing differs from them. I'm no equine expert but i can tell you right now the top of the head shouldn't curve that much, the eyes are too low, the ears look off and the nose is way too round and where's it's mouth? Yes for it to be a successful logo sure you have to simplify whatever you're referencing but at the same time it has to be accurate enough as to be instantly recognisable.

Go find some good photos and trace them if needs be, horses are a pain to draw, then take the tracing and try simplifying your tracing. That might be easier and more effective than just doing it by eye.

I hope you dont think i'm ragging on you here, i'm not, i just think you are onto something with this idea and your sketches prove you have artistic talent but your reference material and research is letting you down and it's a shame as i think this could be a really good logo with just a bit more effort.

Stick at it you're almost there and once you nail it, and i'm pretty sure you can, it'll be worth it as you'll have a concept you can be really proud of.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

knights4.png

It's better but, dont take this the wrong way, did you do what i suggested about drawing the horse first without the armour and then adding that once you were happy with the horse?

One of the best tutors i had at college used to say any good piece of work comes as a result of research, research, research and once you've done that do your research.

Go find a photo, no go find a dozen of a horses profiles and see how your drawing differs from them. I'm no equine expert but i can tell you right now the top of the head shouldn't curve that much, the eyes are too low, the ears look off and the nose is way too round and where's it's mouth? Yes for it to be a successful logo sure you have to simplify whatever you're referencing but at the same time it has to be accurate enough as to be instantly recognisable.

Go find some good photos and trace them if needs be, horses are a pain to draw, then take the tracing and try simplifying your tracing. That might be easier and more effective than just doing it by eye.

I hope you dont think i'm ragging on you here, i'm not, i just think you are onto something with this idea and your sketches prove you have artistic talent but your reference material and research is letting you down and it's a shame as i think this could be a really good logo with just a bit more effort.

Stick at it you're almost there and once you nail it, and i'm pretty sure you can, it'll be worth it as you'll have a concept you can be really proud of.

9erssteve

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I'll get back to this after a bit of an Xbox break :P

I've been looking for good profile pictures of horses to use as reference for the half hour or so.

Archived