MLB as Euro Soccer

jch

Hey all. I'm a newbie here in terms of posting - I check the posts every day though. Anyway, for the last few weeks I've been working in a crossover design project. I decided to reimagine the current Major League Baseball teams as European soccer teams and attempted to design kits for all of the teams. I decided to go with 3 kits for all of the teams - if they really needed one or not - instead of trying to determine if/when they would need one. I also wanted to use sponsors on the jerseys that were actually sponsors of the team in real life. In some cases, they were obvious - for example, corporate sponsorship of the stadium - others weren't as obvious. I also tried to stick to sponsors that were locally based if possible. As much as I enjoyed designing the kits, I think coming up with and researching the sponsors might have been more fun. I tried to do the best I could with these, but since I only had MS Paint with which to work, there's a lot of room for improvement. Thanks to the posters on this site who posted Paint-based templates and special thanks to the people at Colours of Football for providing me with visual reference.

So, without further adieu, I'll start with my beloved Cincinnati Reds...Since the Reds are a fairly conservative franchise, I decided to stick with a fairly conservative uniform set. I deiced to use the red sleeves on the road unis to recognize the fact that for many years, the Reds went with the vested look over red sleeves. Also, since they've added black as an accent color in recent years, I thought that an all-black 3rd kit was apporopriate. As for primary sponsor, I used Kroger. the grocery chain is based in Cincinnati and is a major corporate partner of the Reds.

HOME

reds_epl_21.png

ROAD

reds_epl_20.png

THIRD

reds_epl_IV.png

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
interesting concept, and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like the numbers might be a little too small... and if possible you should try out different fonts for names on the back of the jersey

I went with the standard EPL font for the numbers on the back of the jersey so they're all going to look the same. I think even MLS has a standard numeral font for their uniforms. I'm not neary adept enough at this to attempt doing names on the back of jerseys.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

Next team - the Detroit Tigers.

I went with Pepsi as their sponsor because I didn't think any of the Big 3 automakers would be willing to pony up the sponsorship money at this time and Pepsi is one of the Tigers major sponsors even though it's not a local company. Also, I designated the stripes as their home kits because I see that as being a more iconic look for them - a la Newcastle.

HOME

det_epl_new.png

ROAD

det_epl_20.png

3rd

det_epl_30.png

Interesting idea. Have you considered matching teams with companies (i.e. Atlanta and Pepsi)

This certainly makes for an interesting crossover. I've seen Kroger's logo used in sponsorships before, and I've seen it recolored to match what they are sponsoring. You might consider that for the rest of the corporate marks. For a team like the Reds to have that splotch of blue in the center of their uniforms is a bit jarring. (Though for pepsi, the red and blue is somewhat iconic, and I couldn't imagine them switching the red to orange.) Just a thought.

Interested to see how the rest of the league turns out. Especially Seattle, San Diego, Oakland and Toronto.

nhl94vansigpng.png

This certainly makes for an interesting crossover. I've seen Kroger's logo used in sponsorships before, and I've seen it recolored to match what they are sponsoring. You might consider that for the rest of the corporate marks. For a team like the Reds to have that splotch of blue in the center of their uniforms is a bit jarring. (Though for pepsi, the red and blue is somewhat iconic, and I couldn't imagine them switching the red to orange.) Just a thought.

That's something we see in England - the last couple seasons, Tottenham Hotspur's white-and-navy kits have featured a red sponsor logo. Red being, of course, the iconic color of their hated local rivals, Arsenal.

Why not try and match the stadium name as the sponsor. And if they don't have a corporate name, like the cubs, then you can make one up.

That's what I would do. So for this Tiger concept their sponsor would be Comerica. And also you could use Wrigley the gum company as the sponsor for the Cubs, or one of Wrigley's many gum companies they own.

jNTsTyQ.png

Why not try and match the stadium name as the sponsor. And if they don't have a corporate name, like the cubs, then you can make one up.

That's what I would do. So for this Tiger concept their sponsor would be Comerica. And also you could use Wrigley the gum company as the sponsor for the Cubs, or one of Wrigley's many gum companies they own.

I thought about using stadium sponsors (and for some of the ones to come I do). But I wanted to widen the scope of sponsors out from just the stadium names - especially if there were other sponsors available. I'll give you a little peek behind the curtain, I looked at the Forbes Magazine Business of Baseball article as a research tool. In it, they talk about the values of the teams and they mention who some of the large corporate sponsors of the teams are.

Also, for some of the sponsors I recolored them to match the team and for others I didn't. A lot of it depended on how particular that company was as to the use of their brand. For example, if you look at all the signage for Kroger around the Cincinnati area, the logo almost always appears with the blue and red oval around it. It's a logo most of us recognize instantly. Therefore, I left it as it. I went with Pepsi's brand new logo identity since they've been doing everything they can to make sure that's the particular one that is seen. I looked at a lot of the kits for teams in England ad Germany to see how they dealt with sponsor logos that didn't match up to the team colors and it's pretty split - some recolor to match, others use as is. so that's how I handled it.

Interesting idea. Have you considered matching teams with companies (i.e. Atlanta and Pepsi)

Whoa, whoa whoa. Atlanta is Coca-Cola. That's it. None of this Pepsi stuff.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Whoa, whoa whoa. Atlanta is Coca-Cola. That's it. None of this Pepsi stuff.

On that note...

Atlanta Braves - For the third jersey I used the Hank Aaron mid-70's jersey. I really wanted to include the feather on the sleeves. But since that space is usually reserved for league patches, i left it off. (also, I don't think I could have done it in any way that looked remotely close to the real thing anyway.)

HOME

atl_epl_II.jpg

ROAD

atleplI.png

3rd

atl_epl_III.png

DO NOT like Pepsi as the sponsor for the Detroit Tigers, I can understand the Rockies, but not the Tigers. Have you tried

Little Caesars(Illitch is the owner of both) or Delphi? Maybe Comerica?

Personally I would go with Little Caesars as it is a better staple than Pepsi which has nothing to do with the Detroit area.

DO NOT like Pepsi as the sponsor for the Detroit Tigers, I can understand the Rockies, but not the Tigers. Have you tried

Little Caesars(Illitch is the owner of both) or Delphi? Maybe Comerica?

Personally I would go with Little Caesars as it is a better staple than Pepsi which has nothing to do with the Detroit area.

I agree. Little Caesars would be a perfect fit for the Tigers' sponsor. Comerica would come in second I would say, but I wouldn't go with Pepsi.

Also, you should probably save in .PNG, these have very poor quality around the scripts and logos.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

if you decide not to go with Verizon for the Caps, you can go with Geico, Hard Times Cafe, or Volkswagen, other local companies (Volkswagen is German i know but they moved their North American HQ to Northern Virginia not long ago)

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

After rethinking things a little (and cursing out my best friend - a HUGE Tigers fan) I decided to redo the Tigers with Little Caesars as their sponsor. I think it actually looks...better.

HOME

det_epl_new.gif

ROAD

det_epl_20.gif

3RD

det_epl_30.gif

Well, I have no idea about anything soccer related, but these look good. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the Twins. ;)

bmac...ask and you shall recieve:

MINNESOTA TWINS (by the way...based the road jerseys on the gorgeous throwbacks they're wearing this year. And yes, I went powder blue for the 3rd jerseys. Actually, I did that with a couple of others. But the Twins will be the guinea pigs.)

HOME

min_epl_II.gif

ROAD

min_epl_I.png

3RD

minepl3.png

Archived