2009 Stars and Stripes

Brian E

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont like the red hat all, we thought the blue didnt go with some teams, but the red is actually worse. i think they should go with either the dark blue with red birm or just do a black hat with the stars and stripes logo.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

It was confirmed by Jersey Joe the hats will be worn on the field but the jerseys are just a fashion jersey meant to make $$$

You mean, "meant to make us all prouder to be Americans, and to support our troops more betterer."

Don't you?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I threw these together to show what the actual font would look like...both with nameplate and without...I'm still not impressed with the look at all:

sox_patriotic_nameplate.jpg

sox_patriotic_nonameplate.jpg

IMO, the concept of having a patriotic uniform for the Red Sox is completely pointless when their colors are already red white and blue. Adding the stars and stripes in the wordmark and cap logo just makes it look unnecessarily tacky and garish.

Bad, bad, bad. I vented on this last year, but... I hate that MLB is trying to make money off this.

Plus I don't want the Cubs to get any ideas. That navy cap on the road might have led to the elimination of the road cap (doubt it) but if a regular red cap appears...

And unless anyone has seen a road version of the patriotic jerseys, I doubt they are for game use.

The A's 2001 (?) Red-blues and the Sox Sunday alts from that year would be better choices for those teams, and if a team already wears USA colors, why bother? Ugh.

Bad, bad, bad. I vented on this last year, but... I hate that MLB is trying to make money off this.

Plus I don't want the Cubs to get any ideas. That navy cap on the road might have led to the elimination of the road cap (doubt it) but if a regular red cap appears...

And unless anyone has seen a road version of the patriotic jerseys, I doubt they are for game use.

The A's 2001 (?) Red-blues and the Sox Sunday alts from that year would be better choices for those teams, and if a team already wears USA colors, why bother? Ugh.

I agree about the Red Sox wearing their red alts...that's an even better idea than their regular homes or aways. I liked these games a hell of a lot better when the teams just wore little flags on the caps and when MLB didn't use these holidays as a giant cash grab. <_<

I know they are saying that they're giving a "portion" to charity, but MLB is a business, first and foremost. If they think that people will buy them, then they have a right to make them and have the players wear them. As a consumer, you're doing all you can do to say that you don't like the idea or the amount of money made by not buying the hats or jerseys. You just have to convince everyone else to not buy them, then they'll be gone.

All I'm saying is don't hate the player, hate the game.

Anyways, I really would love this if they wore the jerseys and even had matching pants. Not red or blue pants with stars and stripes, but just white or gray pants with a red-white-blue stripe down the side. If you're going to do something, do it right.

I know they are saying that they're giving a "portion" to charity, but MLB is a business, first and foremost. If they think that people will buy them, then they have a right to make them and have the players wear them. As a consumer, you're doing all you can do to say that you don't like the idea or the amount of money made by not buying the hats or jerseys. You just have to convince everyone else to not buy them, then they'll be gone.

All I'm saying is don't hate the player, hate the game.

Fair enough, but I still think there is an ethical issue that isn't covered by the "make as much money as you can no matter what" angle. I'm sure there are some sex and violence avenues MLB could pursue that someone would buy but they haven't chosen to cross those lines yet. Cashing in on the military is no better. Might be worse.

And as far as "convince everyone else to not buy them, then they'll be gone." I think the actual outcome, as shown by the transformation over the past few years from flag-patch caps to navy "patriotic" caps to red caps, is "buy it or we'll produce something even more questionable and in-your-face."

To be honest, I don't get why MLB mandates "God Bless America" to be regarded as a second national anthem -- everyone stand, hats off and hands over your hearts (at least at Sunday Cubs games). Everything comes off as so fake. Does the real anthem not mean anything? At least it's out of the seventh inning. Where does it really end? But I digress...

This sort of things and the Military Appreciation Night jersey fad has been a pet project of mine for a few months now, since my sister married a Marine. Really polarizing for people, but not necessarily in the way you would think. But I haven't spoken to a single US serviceman or servicewoman who liked the flag being used in the uniform lettering like this.

Just wanted to point this out as well: the US Flag Code is unenforceable. The Supreme Court ruled it is in violation of the First Amendment to the US Consitution. Until they Flag Desecration Amendment passes, teams are free to put patches on uniforms, co-opt the flag into designs, and what-not without penalty, good taste not withstanding.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

To be honest, I don't get why MLB mandates "God Bless America" to be regarded as a second national anthem -- everyone stand, hats off and hands over your hearts (at least at Sunday Cubs games). Everything comes off as so fake. Does the real anthem not mean anything? At least it's out of the seventh inning. Where does it really end? But I digress...

Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me when "God Bless America" replaces "Deep in the Heart of Texas" at Astros games. The latter song fits like an old glove. The former is just overblown.

"The star at night are big and bright" clap clap clap clap > "white with ffffooooaaammmmmm"

Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me when "God Bless America" replaces "Deep in the Heart of Texas" at Astros games. The latter song fits like an old glove. The former is just overblown.

I'm just glad they eventually stopped interrupting the game to play it in Toronto

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I'm just glad they eventually stopped interrupting the game to play it in Toronto

They played God Bless America... in Canada?!?

They couldn't find any Canadian patriotic songs?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

IMO not only it there no need to play God Bless America during games, but there's absolutely no need to play any kind of anthem at all at the beginning of commercial sporting events.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Odd, because I think that the anthem should be played at pro and college sports, but not anything lower. Having the national anthem before an event gives me the impression that it's at the top level. Also, high school/little league/community center level sports are usually under more of a time constraint, so shaving a minute or two off of those can't be bad.

Of course, if you think that it's just unnecessary, then just go to get some food or use the bathroom. You're not thrown out if you don't say the national anthem.

Archived