My NHL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you didn't change much on the Devils (since it would be too hard to upgrade what they already have.) but, I love the alternate the striping really makes me think of devils and demons. Again you have done a great job here.

Blackhawks.pngBulls.png

Updated logo looks great as does the home and away jerseys. But what really blew me away was the alternate jersey. That logo is very simple, but I think it works great in this case on the black jersey. The alternate striping is also fantastic! My favorite jersey so far hands down. Keep it up man, this is turning out to be one real nice series!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I think having the solid white numbers really takes it away from the all-dark feature on the alternate.

Maybe try red numbers with black and white outline? That might echo Carolina too much but it might be worth a shot.

Or maybe even black digits with a red and white outline. Then it'd be completely dark.

duck_sig.jpg

Very nice Devils set. You really managed to keep the essence of the Devils while cleaning and tightening up their look.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I really like your work on the New Jersey Devils. The third jersey is very creative on your part. Before taking on doing New Jersey, did you think about using different colours? If so, what?

Limerick

Thanks to all for the Devils responses. Glad it seemed to get pretty positive stuff.

I think having the solid white numbers really takes it away from the all-dark feature on the alternate.

Maybe try red numbers with black and white outline? That might echo Carolina too much but it might be worth a shot.

Or maybe even black digits with a red and white outline. Then it'd be completely dark.

I can see why you said this. So I did a few quick mock ups. To me, the red numbers with the white outline actually made it look brighter, because the outline was so thin and contrasted so much. And the black numbers with the double outline looked pretty cool (and matched the logo), but I wonder about the readability (especially from the nosebleeds) with only a set of thin outlines, maybe two inches thick.

Before taking on doing New Jersey, did you think about using different colours? If so, what?

I had very briefly considered the original red and green color scheme, but it really didn't sit well with me or convey the sense of darkness that I wanted.

I'll hopefully have the next team up later this evening.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

#19: New York Islanders

Logo.png

I wanted to go in a different direction with the Isles, because I feel that their name lends itself to all kinds of different imagery that their current logo doesn't come close to touching. I started playing with lighthouse ideas, but those have been done over and over, so I went with an anchor, which allowed me tuck the N and Y in there snuggly. I added a slightly bluish gray to the color scheme for depth (especially in the logo and wordmark), and I think it also has an Atlantic seawater/sky feel to it. For the wordmark and type, I'm using an old school block face.

I started to make the uniforms more modern, with curvy piping to match the curve on the anchor. But after looking at the finished product, it was obvious that the piping was unnecessary and didn't really connect with the straight striping. So I've given the Isles a classic look, somewhat based on their old double-stripe pattern. I reworked the 4-stripe logo, encircling it with type and rope, which I think helps give it an anchor (pun completely intended) so it isn't just four stripes floating.

For the alternate logo, I kept the anchor but circled it with type and rope (this is where that idea originated; I moved it to the stripe logo later on), and put it on an orange jersey. I used lots of blue on the alternate jersey so that (hopefully) it wouldn't be orange overkill.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

The anchor is rendered perfectly, it's awesome. The alternate logos are nice, nothing fantastic, but they work well as alternates.

My one gripe is on the primary logo, how the N and Y overlap into the anchor just a tad. I'd either put them completely in front of the anchor or make sure that the outline doesn't touch the inside of the anchor at all, preferably the latter. Great job.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I agree with Chestnutz about the overlap on the anchor. My only other grip is the circle logo with the four stripes. It seems too busy and possibly a bit overdone. I love the four stripes alone on the shoulder, or possibly as a part of the jersey template (I've been trying something like this lately). The circle logo with the anchor looks great, but again, the circled stripes just seems too busy.

Now to what I'm loving about this. I love that you've really gone in a new direction with the Islanders. The current logo may be a 'classic' but it is barely qualifying as a logo. I love the alternate as it is something we haven't seen before, keep up the great work.

Genius on the Islanders redesign. I think this may have been the first time I've seen an anchor used with this team. That bluish grey works well with the blue and orange. The jersey design is simple and harkens back to the early Islander jerseys. The template of the alternate is inspired and isn't orange overload.

great job.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I really like this logo. Redoing the Islanders logo is hard given the team's rich tradition from the 80's. I am glad that you kept their colours.The only thing that I am not wild about the third jersey's design.

#19: New York Islanders

Logo.png

I wanted to go in a different direction with the Isles, because I feel that their name lends itself to all kinds of different imagery that their current logo doesn't come close to touching. I started playing with lighthouse ideas, but those have been done over and over, so I went with an anchor, which allowed me tuck the N and Y in there snuggly. I added a slightly bluish gray to the color scheme for depth (especially in the logo and wordmark), and I think it also has an Atlantic seawater/sky feel to it. For the wordmark and type, I'm using an old school block face.

I started to make the uniforms more modern, with curvy piping to match the curve on the anchor. But after looking at the finished product, it was obvious that the piping was unnecessary and didn't really connect with the straight striping. So I've given the Isles a classic look, somewhat based on their old double-stripe pattern. I reworked the 4-stripe logo, encircling it with type and rope, which I think helps give it an anchor (pun completely intended) so it isn't just four stripes floating.

For the alternate logo, I kept the anchor but circled it with type and rope (this is where that idea originated; I moved it to the stripe logo later on), and put it on an orange jersey. I used lots of blue on the alternate jersey so that (hopefully) it wouldn't be orange overkill.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I have seen many NYI concepts, but I have to say yours is by the BEST! I love the anchor and the uniforms. Excellent job!

spacer.png

I love most of the concepts presented in here. However, I'm not sure the Habs alt logo works when shown on the jersey. Its a lot of small detail that I don't think would come across unless someone was looking at a jersey hanging on a wall.

I don't really dig the Preds concept aside from the new alt. I applaud the idea of moving away from the robo skeleton tiger though. Just not crazy about that kind of piping design that goes across the chest.

Archived