My NHL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love what you've done with the alt logo, it's fantastic. However, I wonder if you could try making the entire spear and the red top of the helmet layer over the gold circle. I think it'd make the logo pop-out a bit more.

I second most people's suggestions that you spice up the white collar a bit on the roads and add the golden laurels to the bottom of the alt.

For uniformity's sake I usually like to match the arm stripe pattern with waist stripe patterns (regarding the homes and roads), but that's just me.

duck_sig.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'll look at the suggestions made and try to have an update posted soon. Unfortunately for those who wanted the laurel pattern on the waist of the alternate, I can already tell you that's not going to happen. I did it originally, and I just didn't like the way it looked: it was way too much of that pattern for my taste. With the logo, the shoulder patch, the sleeves, and the socks, it was laurel overload.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I'll look at the suggestions made and try to have an update posted soon. Unfortunately for those who wanted the laurel pattern on the waist of the alternate, I can already tell you that's not going to happen. I did it originally, and I just didn't like the way it looked: it was way too much of that pattern for my taste. With the logo, the shoulder patch, the sleeves, and the socks, it was laurel overload.

First off, wow, I can't believe it took me this long to comment on this very well developed series. I definitely believe that the laurels on the sleeves are enough and that any more would be overkill. Congrats on the Isles, and Devils, those two were particularly well-conceived. The Sens look great by the way.

Ottawa has been updated and finalized... I decided to add a thin collar to the home and away jerseys, similar to the alternate. I really did like the clean, open look of it with just the triangle and no collar, but I'm satisfied with the update. So s'all good.

Next team posted soon.

#22: Philadelphia Flyers

Logo.png

An update here, but a relatively drastic one. A few thoughts: First, the Flyers should always be an orange-dominant team. Black should be a secondary color. Secondly, their logo is a great mark combining the city name and team nickname without feeling forced. It has stood the test of time. But stylistically it is a bit stuck in the late 60's-early 70's, so I decided to modernize the concept behind the logo and the style of the logo itself. Honestly, the Flyers really don't need to update, but for the sake of doing this series, I went ahead and tried something, if only to see what would come out of the ol' hopper.

So I redesigned the winged-P, making it much more angular and straight (instead of rounded and curvilinear), which I was hoping would make it seem more sleek and fast. In addition, the whole logo is rendered in a 2-point perspective, with the left side of the logo slightly receding into the background; it's hard to see, but it's there. I also added a pewter color to the scheme (it originated in the alternate logo and jersey and migrated to the primary), and I gave them an updated wordmark and number font that matches the style of the logo.

I wanted to continue the angular/straight motif in the uniforms, which actually worked out well since the Flyers originally had a much more angular look to their jersey stripes. I was trying to keep the feel of the Flyers' over-the-shoulder stripes, but match it to the new style. I also wanted everything to be open and light, with lots of negative space, which is why I used the treatment you see. For the alternate, I created a Hermes/Mercury-esque character for the logo, and gave him a black jersey with lots of curvy lines and piping.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

When creating these, did you think about keeping the coloring of the shoulder/sleeve stripes from previous designs?

Could we see one where on the home, you flip the piping around and then make the shoulders black and then on the aways, make them orange? I don't want you to touch the template, just wanted to see that coloring. If it's possible.

I'm really loving the new P logo but I'm not liking the uniforms as much, sorry. I like the third but the other two seem kind of bland, also I don't think the gold pops enough on the orange jersey. Also the angles and the way the two different stripes are so close but not joined together. Sorry, just my two cents.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

I can't fathom the motives behind changing the Flyers logo, particularly to something like that.

Clearly I'm in the minority here, but seeing as though you clearly know your way around a concept I just don't get any of the decisions you made for the Flyers (whose logo is in the Montreal, Hartford, Stick-in-the-rink Canucks, Coyotes sort of echelon).

I will admit; the white jersey does something for me (and I'd like to see the Flyers use the orange more sparingly as a spot colour when it's not the primary colour, as you've done here).

Is it just me or has your orange tinted magenta? Orange is a notoriously difficult colour to reproduce in CMYK; perhaps the shift in the orange is why people are likening the look to the Ducks?

Edit

Love the logo on that third too. Awesome stuff.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Honestly I really don't care for the Flyers concept. I think everything you did was unnecessary. The logo, while it didn't need to be changed, was better than your redesign. I think your primary logo is trying to modernize for the sake of modernizing, with the motion spike things trying to fit in with other logos that are doing that now. I would've rather seen a flying liberty bell (one of my favorite logos, if done well) for the Flyers. The wordmark needs help too, the motion spikes seem like an afterthought and are just TRYING to spice it up a bit. The gold is unnecessary and I don't care for it with gold, perhaps silver would be better.

I know you can do better, as I've seen it countless times in this thread.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The gold definitely says 'Ducks' to me. 5 years ago, this set could have gone over, but not now. It looks like it'd be easy enough to switch all the gold to white/black/orange, though, without having to totally change up your colour patterns.

I like the designs you used for the jerseys, and the logos look pretty good, too. I suggest flipping the colours around on your numbers, though, so that they match your logo better.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I can't say I'm very surprised with how the Flyers concept went over.

Side question: How do you take the apply your jerseys to your skater model? Just kind of eyeball it?

Yeah, and it takes a lot of working, reworking, and touching up.

Honestly I really don't care for the Flyers concept. I think everything you did was unnecessary. The logo, while it didn't need to be changed, was better than your redesign. I think your primary logo is trying to modernize for the sake of modernizing, with the motion spike things trying to fit in with other logos that are doing that now. I would've rather seen a flying liberty bell (one of my favorite logos, if done well) for the Flyers. The wordmark needs help too, the motion spikes seem like an afterthought and are just TRYING to spice it up a bit. The gold is unnecessary and I don't care for it with gold, perhaps silver would be better.

As I said in the intro, I love the Flyers current logo, and don't think it necessarily needs a change. But I do feel like its visual style, with the big, thick wing tips (which also look very similar to the Blues, so I wanted differentiation there) and the forced perfect circle, is solidly entrenched in the 1970s. So this was really more of a thought experiment, where I tried to establish a more angular, sleek, airy/open style and then reproduce that style throughout the logo, wordmark, and uniform elements. So believe me when I say that I put a lot of ideation and work into the whole package, and nothing here was an afterthought.

The gold definitely says 'Ducks' to me. 5 years ago, this set could have gone over, but not now. It looks like it'd be easy enough to switch all the gold to white/black/orange, though, without having to totally change up your colour patterns.

The gold (looked like more of a pewter to me) was obviously not popular. As I said, it started in the alternate logo (the helmet/armor), and I liked how it played with orange and black, so I kept it in the home and away. As far as the similarity to the Ducks goes, remember that in my redesign, the Ducks now wear green, black, and orange. But I'll definitely go back and look at silver or maybe just eliminating it.

Also, someone mentioned the orange looking out of whack. Yes, I've been mentioning that problem throughout this series. Illustrator seems to be exporting anything orangey in a strange way. I've tried tinkering with it, but haven't found a good solution.

But thanks for the input. I'll put some more work into this one and get an update soon.

As I said in the intro, I love the Flyers current logo, and don't think it necessarily needs a change. But I do feel like its visual style, with the big, thick wing tips (which also look very similar to the Blues, so I wanted differentiation there) and the forced perfect circle, is solidly entrenched in the 1970s. So this was really more of a thought experiment, where I tried to establish a more angular, sleek, airy/open style and then reproduce that style throughout the logo, wordmark, and uniform elements. So believe me when I say that I put a lot of ideation and work into the whole package, and nothing here was an afterthought.

Oh I know nothing you did was an afterthought and that you worked hard on it all, after seeing your past work I know that's not how you function. I totally respect that you tried to do something new, I just don't really like how it turned out. But I'll give kudos to anyone any time they try to do something different. Can't wait for the update.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived