My NHL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback on the Coyotes. They've been updated and are finished. I looked at collar stripes, shoulder yokes, and waist stripes. In the end, I went with the waist stripes. They kept the same look that I was going for, and I still get a little bit of the openness I wanted because I left the collar blank. It's a compromise.

Unfortunately, that's going to be it for this series for a little while. I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow (I'll be gone for a week), and then I'm moving at the end of the month, so things will be a bit busy. The next two teams are each fairly close to completion, so I might be able to get them posted after the beach, but don't be surprised if there are no updates until September....

Only seven teams left. See you (hopefully) in a week.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Ooh the Pens are up next, can't wait. I just hope you don't go with the Robo-pigeon and do try to go back to the oldschool Pittsburgh black and gold.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Getting back to the Islanders.

I like the logo you made for them, and the primary unis are good, as well--not straying far worked in this case.

BUT--I do have one question.

What does an anchor have to do with Islanders?

There's no correlation to me.

A lighthouse i can see, although there are also lighthouses on coastlines of the mainland as well.

Just a question really--anchors are for in the water--no on the island.

But overall--some cool stuff.

I'm enjoying the series--there are some ideas I'd like to adopted.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

#24: Pittsburgh Penguins

Logo.png

I was torn for a while on this one. I really wanted to do a major update to the Pens' identity. While I think it's a classic logo, the 'Skating Penguin' bothers me for several reasons, many of them anatomical... However, after a lot of thought, I decided on a minor update to the primary logo, for the following reasons: 1) It is such a classic NHL logo; 2) The Pens have won 3 Cups with it, and none without it; 3) It seems to be vastly preferred by Pittsburgh fans over any modern incarnation (RoboPenguin); and 4) I already did a major update to the Flyers, so I decided not to offend EVERY fan in Pennsylvania.

So what I've tried to do is address a few of the physical aspects of the Penguin. I tried to make his beak look more like that of an emperor penguin (including the gold streak on the underside). I gave him the gold "flare" from the top of the belly to the neck. I also "modernized" and simplified his gloves. I really wanted to add a little penguiny tail, but I think it would be blocked by his legs anyway (penguins have legs?!). You'll also notice a slightly tweaked color palette and wordmark. I went with a more saturated gold, but I didn't go all the way back to pre-'93 yellow because it's a little bright for my taste, and it would have made their color scheme almost identical to the one I used on the Bruins.

Somewhat of a mixing of eras on the home and away uniforms. I wanted colored sleeves, but not all the way down or with as many stripes as they previously used. So I've gone with a simple gold sleeve section behind the numbers, with diagonal stripes (which I still associate with the Penguins) beneath them. The smaller sleeve colored section also allows me to use gold on both home and away jerseys, without it becoming overkill. On the right shoulder is a patch based off of the City of Pittsburgh Seal: I dropped the castle and turned the three gold seals into stars, one for each Stanley Cup. I really liked the seal because it seemed to make an elegant, classy patch, and allowed me to use all the colors from the palette...

The alternate is where I sneak my uber-sleek modernized penguin in there. It's pretty minimalist (in terms of line economy) and somewhat abstract, but I like it. I let the style of the logo dictate the striping on the jerseys, so there are big chunks of blue with the gold "stroke" borrowed from the Penguin's mouth. On the shoulders is a simple, blue-beveled P monogram patch.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

#24: Pittsburgh Penguins

The alternate is where I sneak my uber-sleek modernized penguin in there. It's pretty minimalist (in terms of line economy) and somewhat abstract, but I like it. I let the style of the logo dictate the striping on the jerseys, so there are big chunks of blue with the gold "stroke" borrowed from the Penguin's mouth. On the shoulders is a simple, blue-beveled P monogram patch.

Uni-Alt.png

In your opinion, would swapping the blue and black on this jersey not have worked as well as the combo you have here?

I like the new logo. But I wonder if having the blue/white checkerboard on that shoulder logo takes anything away from the jersey. I applauded Calgary's initiative to include the Albert and Canadian flags but that blue Alberta flag just clashes so much with the jersey. I once thought about having all six teams have the Canadian flag somewhere on their jerseys, but for the Leafs, Canucks, and Oilers it'd just clash too much. As a general rule of thumb if a colour isn't on a logo then I don't really like it on the jersey either. Other than that, I love the jerseys.

For the alt logo, is the blue section at the top supposed to be part of the penguin or the shield? It looks a little ambiguous to me because it just seems like the penguin's head is non-existent. I'd like to see it with a little more form but like you said it's uber-stylized so if you keep it that way it'll still work.

Great job.

Glad your hiatus wasn't too long. :)

duck_sig.jpg

Im not a fan of the penguins but am a fan of this concept. I agree with jchockey on the flags on Calgary's jersey does clash but on this concept the Blue is so minimal that if these jerseys were made it would be hard to see the blue when watching the game.

Good job on this, and they get better every time.

I AM SCORE!

Fantastic penguins jerseys and logos. Good mix of the different Pens styles into one sweet looking uniform. For the alt though I think that going blue would be better in this case, to further differentiate from the home and also because both the main and the shoulder logos are predominately black I think a blue jersey would be better. Just my two cents. Great work again on these ones.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

While I think it's a classic logo, the 'Skating Penguin' bothers me for several reasons, many of them anatomical...

It's a penguin skating and holding a Hockey stick, and you're bothered by the anatomy?

Oh and as a native Pittsburgher, I really love the alt logo based on the city's seal. Did you know that it, as well as the city colors of black and gold, come from the coat of arms of William Pitt?

1909.png1925.png1960.png1971.png1979.png

1991copycopy.png

I love this one. The updates to the colors and primary logo are amazing, and I love the restrained version of their old jerseys you're using. The neon blue on the alt looks a little too bright (and you need to have the current powder alt in there somewhere!) but it's certainly an interesting contrast to the other two. You penguin alternate logo reminds me of another one of your logos: the Halifax Penguins. Nice work here.

scotland_fifasig.png

Archived