My NHL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the feedback so far.

For the alt logo, is the blue section at the top supposed to be part of the penguin or the shield? It looks a little ambiguous to me because it just seems like the penguin's head is non-existent. I'd like to see it with a little more form but like you said it's uber-stylized so if you keep it that way it'll still work.

It's supposed to be the sky behind the penguin, so it's part of the shield. You're right, the head is VERY minimalist, which was the style I wanted (a major contrast to the high detail of the primary logo). Hopefully, I didn't take it too far.

It's a penguin skating and holding a Hockey stick, and you're bothered by the anatomy?

Maybe I didn't clearly express what I meant: the "skating" part of the logo is the biggest anatomical problem, as penguins obviously don't have much to speak of in the way of legs or feet... But that's just the beginning. And don't forget the use of hands (and, apparently, fingers), the lack of a tail, the plain white oval for a chest, and the really weird white beak that bears almost no resemblance to that of a penguin. Basically, if I didn't already know I was supposed to be looking at a penguin, it might not be my first guess.

If that third was powder blue and white, I would cream my pants.

A few people have already mentioned this. I really wanted a powder blue jersey, and yes, it would look fantastic with the black pants. I tried it, and it didn't accomplish what I wanted. What I like about the alternate I created is that both the blue and the gold really pop. This is because they never touch each other (they become really muddy when they touch) and because they both look so bright against the black background. If I were going to include another jersey in this set, it would definitely be a retro-inspired blue, but I said at the beginning that I was going to limit myself to 3 and only 3 uniforms per team, so this is it.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

This is the best pens concept Ive ever seen, and im always very critical of pens concepts. Id love to see them wear this for real. As far as im concerned its perfect, save for the logo on the third, im not too hot on that, but the jersey its on more than makes up for that. In any case I love how the primaries harken back to the first cup years, but are more simple and modern. Which is what they should always have done and should do when they get the chance, is to just modernize the "first cup era" jerseys.

oBIgzrL.png

#1: Anaheim Ducks

Logo.png

They have such a great name, but such a boring identity. So I went in a different direction with the Ducks. I changed the colors to make them brighter and more duck-like, so I went with a pond green, a bright yellowish orange, and I kept the black as a secondary color. The primary logo is a duck head set inside an orange oval, which is flanked by sylized, outstretched wings.

I kept the same script the Ducks currently use (with only superficial changes). I think it is actually a nice wordmark, and the type style and basic visual style go well with what I did with the rest of the identity. The secondary logo is the web-foot-D from the wordmark.

For the uniforms, I wanted to keep the some of the same visual elements from the logo, so I used a lot of round shapes, with negative space. It's a bit of an unorthodox look, but I think it works well as a whole package. For the alternate, I didn't want an all-black set so I used the orange color. This looked much less bright in its pre-.png state, and I know it's very bright, but keep in mind it's an alternate jersey for a team in southern California. I used a striping style that's sort of reminiscent of the old Mighty Ducks days.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I know I am late to the game, but I have to say that as a Ducks fan, I am not a big fan of the color scheme you have come up with in this redesign. I understand you were going with the colors of a mallard, but I think that the colors don't translate well to the sweaters. I think the green needs to either be a much darker green or another color all together. The color of the 3rd is not something I would even want to buy. I like the logo you came up with and keeping the webbed D on the 3rd but think that the colors need a major overhaul.

Just my 2 cents as a Ducks fan.

gyoung8.png

Fantastic work on these. I really like most of them, but the Canadiens alternate is far and away my favorite. Spot on idea and execution.

Forgive me if someone else already asked this, because this really popped out at me as obvious and I didn't notice anyone else commenting on it...but the Islanders and Oilers both have that "wavy gray" effect going on inside their wordmarks. Was that an oversight or intentional? It just seems especially egregious given the nearly identical color schemes.

#12: Edmonton Oilers

Logo.png

#19: New York Islanders

Logo.png

Avalanche.png

Im not a fan of the penguins but am a fan of this concept. I agree with jchockey on the flags on Calgary's jersey does clash but on this concept the Blue is so minimal that if these jerseys were made it would be hard to see the blue when watching the game.

Good job on this, and they get better every time.

I agree with him, not a fan of the pens, but the concept is great

baltimoreravens.png

Fantastic work on these. I really like most of them, but the Canadiens alternate is far and away my favorite. Spot on idea and execution.

Forgive me if someone else already asked this, because this really popped out at me as obvious and I didn't notice anyone else commenting on it...but the Islanders and Oilers both have that "wavy gray" effect going on inside their wordmarks. Was that an oversight or intentional? It just seems especially egregious given the nearly identical color schemes.

#12: Edmonton Oilers

Logo.png

#19: New York Islanders

Logo.png

The guys is doing new uniforms for 30 teams, there are bound to be a few similiarites.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

You're such a badass. I'm terrified.

I sense another banning plea from Metrodome.

Not a hockey fan, but I do like the color scheme for the Ducks.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

i can beat the hell out of ripmetrodome. he is a weakling. thats why he is on this site

So are "you" the dominant personality or the recessive one?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

#24: Pittsburgh Penguins

Logo.png

I was torn for a while on this one. I really wanted to do a major update to the Pens' identity. While I think it's a classic logo, the 'Skating Penguin' bothers me for several reasons, many of them anatomical... However, after a lot of thought, I decided on a minor update to the primary logo, for the following reasons: 1) It is such a classic NHL logo; 2) The Pens have won 3 Cups with it, and none without it; 3) It seems to be vastly preferred by Pittsburgh fans over any modern incarnation (RoboPenguin); and 4) I already did a major update to the Flyers, so I decided not to offend EVERY fan in Pennsylvania.

So what I've tried to do is address a few of the physical aspects of the Penguin. I tried to make his beak look more like that of an emperor penguin (including the gold streak on the underside). I gave him the gold "flare" from the top of the belly to the neck. I also "modernized" and simplified his gloves. I really wanted to add a little penguiny tail, but I think it would be blocked by his legs anyway (penguins have legs?!). You'll also notice a slightly tweaked color palette and wordmark. I went with a more saturated gold, but I didn't go all the way back to pre-'93 yellow because it's a little bright for my taste, and it would have made their color scheme almost identical to the one I used on the Bruins.

Somewhat of a mixing of eras on the home and away uniforms. I wanted colored sleeves, but not all the way down or with as many stripes as they previously used. So I've gone with a simple gold sleeve section behind the numbers, with diagonal stripes (which I still associate with the Penguins) beneath them. The smaller sleeve colored section also allows me to use gold on both home and away jerseys, without it becoming overkill. On the right shoulder is a patch based off of the City of Pittsburgh Seal: I dropped the castle and turned the three gold seals into stars, one for each Stanley Cup. I really liked the seal because it seemed to make an elegant, classy patch, and allowed me to use all the colors from the palette...

The alternate is where I sneak my uber-sleek modernized penguin in there. It's pretty minimalist (in terms of line economy) and somewhat abstract, but I like it. I let the style of the logo dictate the striping on the jerseys, so there are big chunks of blue with the gold "stroke" borrowed from the Penguin's mouth. On the shoulders is a simple, blue-beveled P monogram patch.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Love everything but the 3rd jersey...that third jersey just isn't sitting with me.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Glad to see the end of whatever that crap above is. Thanks to people who actually provided feedback on the concepts.

The guys is doing new uniforms for 30 teams, there are bound to be a few similiarites.

-Dan

I understand that. That's why I asked if it was done intentionally or not.

The similarity wasn't intentional, but the effect was used on both logos for a reason. For the Oilers, I wanted a sleek, metallic, machine look; for the Isles, a wave effect. It's unfortunate that they did end up so similar, but as Dan said, I'm churning out 30 teams in a short period of time. If I had known how the Isles were going to turn out, I probably would have made the Oilers a bit more different.

Next team will be up briefly.

#25: San Jose Sharks

Logo.png

The most obvious change is the relegation of orange. I believe the teal, black, and silver color scheme is fantastic: it's unique, but not gimmicky, and the colors all have a basis in reality and fit the team name. So that's where the focus is here--orange is now used only for details in the primary logo, and on the alternate uniform. I also really like the updated shark logo: it's slightly cartoonish (but I think that gives it a style unique to the league), but at the same time it's a superior rendering of a shark compared to the original logo. However, I really don't like their new wordmark, the over-the-top leaping shark, the orange shield logo, or the gluttony of extra logos in general from the new package. So I've just tweaked and recolored the logo (to make it more accurate, shark-wise) and added a new wordmark with a custom "font."

With the new wordmark in mind, I wanted to use a sharp, angular motif throughout the identity. So for the uniforms, I gave the Sharks a crisp, simple striping pattern with diagonal sleeve stripes, and I used the wordmark style in the numerals. Pretty basic stuff, but I don't think their colors or logo need much supplementing. An updated version of the new secondary "Fin" logo is on the shoulders.

For the alternate, I used an orange-outlined version of the "Fin" logo as the crest, then employed a more modern striping style that mimics the crest in terms of color use: sweeping, curved sections of teal, with angular orange piping. There is a small orange "San Jose" wordmark beneath the collar. I'm not sure what caused me to try that, but I really liked how it looked. Happy accident.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I kind of prefer the team shark to your gray one, but it flows well on the uniform and is probably more realistic. I love the return to the silver-ish color. Thank you so much for getting rid of the orange on the primary. I also think the numbers are a huge improvement over anything the Sharks have had in the past. It gives it a look that is more connected to the 'sharp' feeling you get when you think of a shark. Overall, great concept. I'm sad this is drawing to a close soon but I have to say I'm impressed with the way you have stuck with it. Good job, dgnmrwrw

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Archived