My NHL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the feedback on the Blues.

I have been waiting for the blues concept forever. I totally understand what you mean about untouchable and it's a timeless logo. however, you have some skill. I can't wait to see what you can do with this.

edit - i remember the blues had a concept that never made it off the table where the blue note was actually a hockey stick at the bottom. it'd be really cool if you went that direction. the jets had a cool design in making the 'J' a stick, i think this could be cool.

I really don't think I could change it for the better. I did some initial sketches (as I've done for every team, even Montreal) of other ideas, but none of them ever got past that initial stage. It's probably just personal preference, but the Blues' logo is one of my favorites ever, in any sport.

Not that much of a fan of the Blues 3rd, but if you get rid of the royal, and put white in it's place for the striping (remove from the gold swath), it would look a lot better.

I'll look at it, but I really wanted the striping to match the logo.

Would you consider putting a Blue Note under the script on the 3rd jerseys like the mid 80s Blues jerseys did?

-Dan

It would be a good reference to the past and I'll definitely look at it.

could you post the st. louis word mark and the trumpet logo in a larger format?

He always links the large format versions of the logos in the post. Unless maybe he edited them in after you wrote your post.

Yeah, they're always posted as links in the text of the intro.

My only gripe with the Blues is that the trumpet should face forward on both shoulder. But that's always been one of my peeves.

That would make a lot of sense, I find it gives the jersey direction, if that makes sense.

I'll definitely be doing this. I'm surprised I didn't think of it before.

Hopefully, I'll have the Blues updated later today.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

St. Louis is updated and finalized. In the end, all I did was make the trumpets on the alternate face forward. I looked at adding yellow to the alternate numerals, but they got muddy with both the yellow and the lighter blue. And I also tried adding a blue note under the script, but it either had to be tiny or I had to shrink the script to make everything fit, and neither of those looked very good. I could have made it work if I had planned it ahead and done a slightly different script. Alas.

Next team should be up soon.

#27: Tampa Bay Lightning

Logo.png

First, a color change. Instead of black, blue, and silver, I am using lighter blue, midnight blue (RGB 10/10/35), and silver. Just the bolt for the logo; the team is the Lightning, that's all that needs to be used (no awkwardly placed typography!). I used the basic shape of their new modernized lightning bolt, but I made it mostly midnight blue with a bright white highlight. I think, in general, it's a lot brighter and flashier than what they currently use, because of the play between the super dark midnight blue, and the bright white and silver. I've also made a full wordmark, based off of their new "TAMPA BAY" lettering.

The jerseys are a mix of modern and traditional. They've got diagonal sleeve stripes (with heavy use of the midnight blue) which are truncated by a sweeping midnight blue slash that flows up the sleeves. There is a new TB/Florida patch on the shoulders, and a lightning bolt (the same as the logo) on the pants.

For the alternate, I wanted an all-midnight blue look, with a uniform inspired by their original look. So I used a thick white stripe with a thin light blue stripe, and included some "Victory Stripes" under the arms. The shiny TB monogram crest is a bit simple, but I think it matches well with the simplicity of the jersey, and the overall look of the uniform (especially with the numerals also having the shiny effect). I placed the primary logo on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

I love that primary logo, so simple yet powerful. The secondary Florida state logo seems a bit weak in my eyes, not sure why though. The unis are sweet as well, A+ there. I honestly didn't know it was a "midnight blue" just black, until you mentioned it. Great update though.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The white Tampa jersey really jumps. The text in the logo always bothered me as unnecessary (I always thought they needed to use their secondary logo as primary, and vice versa), and eliminating it really pops the logo as crisp and clean.

The St. Louis alternate is right up there with the Habs alternate as the best jerseys you've done so far. I too was wondering how it might look with the bluenote under the wordmark, but ultimately I agree that it may get too cluttered that way.

Avalanche.png

I find it odd you would not change the Canadians, Bruins and Red Wings logos, but you did the Blackhawks.

Chief Blackhawk was a real person and when I saw a death mask of the real dude, its profile match that of the current logo.

To "modernize" Chief Blackhawk is like what KFC did to Colonel Sanders image, change his image to a younger version of the real person, long since deceased.

I would suggest changing the uniforms long before the logo itself.

Being a long time Hawks fan, the uniform reminds me of failure... if winning the Cup is considered success!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

I love what you did with the Lightning. The midnight blue idea is great, it differentiates the team from the rest of the league but still retains "their" feel. I'm glad to see you kept the victory stripes on at least one of the jerseys. My only gripe, and it's a small one, is the lack of blue on the bolt on the pants. I think they would benefit from just a tad more color.

Finally a blue jersey a fan could be proud of! lol

Well that Lightning logo is better than anything I've ever seen them wear--it's angular to fit a lightning bolt, and uncluttered.

the times they incorporate the map of Florida it just clutters it up more--so excellent job on the Lightning--angular & uncluttered--very suggestive to me of the name.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Being a comic book fan I just can't get away from seeing The Flash when I see a bolt in a circle. For that reason alone I like having a script in their logo, but only for that reason. However, you pulled off that logo and I love the road jerseys.

While I'm all for cities having sports teams that boast same colours (Pirates, Steelers, Penguins), this set, especially the alt, reminds me of the Tampa Bay Rays.

duck_sig.jpg

The waist stripe on the Lightning's home and away jerseys seems a little unnecessary. Since it is the same colour as the pants it just blends in and makes it look like their is no hem stripe at all. I think if you added one or two more stripes in the other colours it would fix this problem and make these already great uniforms even better.

Archived