New Bengals Uniforms Update

Jungle Jim

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I love these jerseys. I think they're pretty darn good looking.

The merge from the white side-panels to the black and orange are definately different but I think it's neat.

100% better then what they had before.

Let's go Pens!

Here's a pic from Bengals.com

uni.jpg

Well... they aren't as bad IMO as some of you have reacted to. The white side panels confuse me... look at the black pants there... the white does a tiger-stripe blend into the orange... what's up with that?

I agree, the numbers aren't cool... and the white panels aren't cool... and the white blend on the pants isn't cool... and the white jersey shoulders... you get the picture...

BUT!

I still love the colour combo... look at Johnson on the above pic... the end of the shoulderpad has the tiger-stripe effect. That somehow looks really cool IMO. It was a good move to have a home black jersey/black pants design. The execution wasn't 100% appealing to me though. The orange alt is slick... but the white needs work, and we'll be seeing more of the white one anyways.

Overall... there are alot of things I love about this jersey, but there are things I hate about it. I would give it a B grade...

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

ahhhh, the moment ive been dreading.. this is a great step forward for arena football. theyll sell more jerseys this way, what with the marketing and all.

wait....this is the NFL? oh yeah, WHY DID THEY CHANGE? :cursing::mad: ahhhh it was so good before...im sure i might get used to this within the next.....three to four years, but god...the best unis in the nfl belonged to the bengals, they had THAT and thats about all...well...lets see how this works out on the field.

i kinda want to see how it looks w/a helmet

qvAvG.jpg

IF, all of these jerseys featured a numeric font that was coordinated with the alpha font that the new "B" logo is rendered in, and...

IF, all of the pants lost the white-and-orange stripe transitioning into a black-and-orange stripe in favor of JUST a black-and-orange stripe, and...

IF, both the black and orange jerseys lost the solid white side panels, and...

IF, the white jerseys lost the solid orange yoke across the back shoulder area, THEN...

... these new Bengals unis would be "kick-ass". In fact, I'd go so far as to say that with the adjustments I've mentioned, the new Bengals uniforms would be beautiful. However, given the fact that none of the aforementioned criteria have been met, these new Bengals unis are - without a doubt - amongst the worst in the National Football League.

With the above adjustments, these uniforms would be some of the best in professional sports. Yet, those responsible for the designs made egregiously bad decisions. I mean, the white side panels on the black and orange jerseys are ATROCIOUS!!! Easily one of the poorest sports uniform design choices in the history of... well, sports uniform design! What were the designers thinking? What were they trying to accomplish? Why can't they see how out of place those panels look?

How can you get so close to designing something truly extraordinary, and then botch it SO badly?

I'm quietly hoping and praying that the changes I've outlined get implemented over the next couple of seasons. Still, I'm guessing that they won't.

'Tis a pity.

Brian in Boston

MikeBrownSucks.com looks like they just got a whole new fodder of material. How can you take one of the FUGLIEST uniforms in sports history and make 'em even FUGLIER? WE HAVE A LOSER!!! :puke:
"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

"Whew! For a second I thought it was a site directed at me!" :D

For the record, that site is run by a disgruntled Bengals fan (there's a real stretch) in SoCal. I just e-mailed him a letter about those uniforms and I hope they post it soon.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

I have been a lifelong bengals fan and right now I am extremely disappointed, If they weren't going to win the super bowl this year, I would leave them. They had the best uniforms in the league, a real unique and clever design, now they might as well be the buffalo bills. Paul Brown must be rolling in his grave.

Here are the problems on the Blacks: The white side panel, the number font, the new monochrome look they have

Whites: The orange on the shoulders, number font

Oranges: The white down the side, number font

They had the best uniforms in the game and now they fu*ked it up.

and another thing, Go Bengals!

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

...but in my opinion it could have been a little bit worse than this... this isn't god awful...

I feel like it's the new Falcons jersey & Bills jersey morphed together with the Bears lettering in 3-D... kind of a rip off?

grc

yanks_sig.gif

I'm just one more guy that thinks we lost some of the best unis in the league in favor of this rediculous different-colored sleeve trend. :cry:

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If you follow the uniform design trends in the NHL, you'll find that the simplest jerseys are always at the top of the sales charts (Detroit, Toronto, etc.), due to the nature of the sport and the limited consumer attention it gets, they rely on die hard fans to buy their jerseys. And the teams with the most fans are typically the older teams (sure you see flareups when expansion teams enter, and of course there are exceptions, but I'm painting with a broad brush here).

The NFL is a bit different, they rely on fans yes, but the nature of the game has obviously put it in a much brighter spotlight than the NHL and therefore their "consumer market" is ridiculously larger. They cater to those numbers now .. and they have found that flashier and more experimental (see Miami Hurricanes) jerseys are selling more. I understand the decisions, from a business perspective, but I certainly don't agree with them. Like nitro has said ... the last good new identity system to come out of the NFL is the Houston Texans .. they played it down to simplicity and ended up with a refined, classic logo and uniform set.

With all that said .. my take on the Bengals uniform set was .. it wasn't broke. They had a magnificent leaping tiger logo and tiger head and nice clean uniforms ... they looked good. I think these new jerseys are a bit TOO ambitious. The one thing that I do really love about them though is the addition of more white ... it certainly makes it more representative of a tiger. I half like these, and half think they are watering down the aesthetic value of the NFL even further and making the whole league like amateur hour.

The NFL is following the same trend as American Money ... used to be refined, classy, stoic ... now .. needs to be LIVELIER, more COLORFUL, full of ZEST.

I hate that.

I have been away for a while, just got to see the photos fo their new Unis. One word Terrible.

As it has been stated before there old Unis were nice, classic and unique.

The new look just seems liek a few different parts forced together. Teh Numbers dont fit the rugged stripes. The white down the side of the black jersey is out of place. The orange top on teh white jersey is forced and last but not least the B is huge and sits in the middle of the chest.

Not one elemnet fits with the next. In this uniform there is no UNIFORMITY.

Nuf Said.

I didn't have any ideas how to fix the white unis, but I did (IMO) fix the others...

cinbengalsnewunis.gif

I eliminated the side panels on the alternate and changed the side panels on the homes to orange. I think they look better. Stay tuned for a white jersey fix.

EDIT: See if you can figure out the other change I made. :ninja:

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Here are some more good-quality pictures from the Bengals Web site:

Bengals Fashion Show

I've never been a fan of dark pants with dark jerseys, but I must say that after seeing these pictures, they should go all black or all white. The half-and-half look just doesn't cut it in this scheme. I could take the black jersey - white pants A LOT better than the white jersey - black pants, though.

I'll say it again, just as others have: Get rid of the white panels on the side and the orange panel on the top of the white jersey, and they look okay.

vicfurth...

Nice attempt on cleaning up the Bengals' uni mess. I like what you've done with the alternate jersey (Though I must admit, it is my LEAST favorite of the three Bengals' jerseys... God, I hate alternates), by replacing the white side-panels with the orange of the rest of the jersey.

However, on the home jersey, replacing the solid white side-panels with solid orange side-panels is only marginally better. I still hate the way a solid-colored panel on the jersey runs smack-up against the tiger-striping on the pants. IMHO, the home jerseys either need to replace the white side-panels with black side-panels (optimal), or MAYBE you could get away with replacing the white panels with orange-and-black tiger-stripe panels (which would at least provide a continuity in striping down the side of the uniform... though it might be too much of a good thing).

Brian in Boston

The orange side panel looks waaay better, as does the lack of the B logo.

WHY doesn't the stoopid NFL just check with us before making stoopid changes? You can bet no garbage like the Bills or the Bengals white would escape this board without some serious tongue-lashings!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived