LA Clippers

ldswoosh33

They are just such an identity-less team...I don't know what they can do in the shadow of the Lakers, it's like they are just a discount alternative, right down to having a similar logo. I don't really get why LA has 2 teams and Seattle loses theirs. Clippers just seem like the most expendable an unnecessary franchise in sports.

Here's an idea - move them to the NFL!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Wow... I've never seen those. Without a wordmark, those logos would scream Pepperdine at me, not Clippers. "

Maybe, but the Clippers brand is so weak, I'm not sure anything screams "clippers".

Maybe their brand would scream "clippers" if their logo actually had a clipper in it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

They should just move to Anaheim and use the logos above, but just tweek them a little.

I know nothing about California, but wouldn't San Diego be a better place to move. Anaheim is just a suburb of Los Angeles, while San Diego is a completely different city. "Moving" the team to Anaheim, would basically just be changing the team name slightly (like the Angels did). While moving to San Diego would actually bring a whole new fanbase into the equation and might actually encourage some change.

People are still talking about moving the Clips? LOL.

Sterling just built them a palatial practice hq that's the envy of even the Lakers. They ain't goin' nowhere.

And leave the logo alone. Chances are we'd be stuck with something even worse.

andy-roeser.jpg

This may be the best application of a Clippers uniform I've come across so far.

I thought Al Bundy sold shoes...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Definitely! They need to change, [redacted].

Easy, Tiger! We all know the Clippers are as pathetic as they come, but there's no need for that kind of talk around here.

6uXNWAo.png

They should just move to Anaheim and use the logos above, but just tweek them a little.

I know nothing about California, but wouldn't San Diego be a better place to move. Anaheim is just a suburb of Los Angeles, while San Diego is a completely different city. "Moving" the team to Anaheim, would basically just be changing the team name slightly (like the Angels did). While moving to San Diego would actually bring a whole new fanbase into the equation and might actually encourage some change.

If you don't know, don't say anything about it... We've had this argument before but anyways

The Pond in Anaheim is about a 45-60 minute drive (given the traffic situation) to Staples Center in LA.

Anaheim is not a suburb of LA. They may be close, but I would not consider it a "suburb" of LA. It wouldnt be "moving" it would be actually moving. and it would be a slight change like the Angels. If they came here They would probaly either have to be the Anaheim Clippers (Orange County Clippers? OC Clips? OCC?) because I think the Pond stipulates you must have Anaheim in the name (and I'm sure if they did move they would word it so it would have to be "Anaheim Clippers" so as to avoid any LA Clippers of Anaheim nonsense)

Sure there are a lot of crossover fans between LA and OC, but just a simple move from Staples to the Pond would do them wonders actually. I know the non-Laker fans in OC would gravitate towards the team. I dont know about how the actual Clipper fans in LA would act. Not pleased I'd assume. I'm a die-hard Lakers fan, so I probably wouldn't support the team fully if they moved here, but I'd go to games to just enjoy and the Laker games. Cheaper and shorter drive I'd be for.

And yes, the Clippers did play a few select home games back in I think 1998 or 1996 at the Pond. They also played a playoff game against Utah at the Anaheim Convention Center due to the LA Riots at the time. (1991? anyone?)

As far as San Diego, they tried San Diego with the Clippers. It didn't work.

Personally I think that San Diego is a beautiful town and overall its just like way too relaxed I think lol. They can get all amped up for the 8-10 Chargers home games a year and then in the summer just rest and relax to the Padres.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

That, and San Diego has nothing resembling a major league indoor arena at this point in time.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Anaheim is not a suburb of LA.

Yes it is. Anaheim is like the archetype of suburbia.

Bingo. Hell, the only reason that the city name is even seen in sports is because Disney built a theme park there and owned the teams that adopted it.

VmWIn6B.png

Anaheim is not a suburb of LA.

Yes it is. Anaheim is like the archetype of suburbia.

Bingo. Hell, the only reason that the city name is even seen in sports is because Disney built a theme park there and owned the teams that adopted it.

Sigh... We've had this spat before. I'm just going to say we agree to disagree...

-------------

Sodboy, that's true. I didn't even think about that.

AEG recently signed an agreement or possibly bought the San Diego Sports Arena. So if the Clips were to move, they wouldn't have to change arena management companies, but the SDSA is pretty run down at this point and probably could even serve as a temporary arena.

If the Clips do move anywhere in SoCal it'd most likely be down to Anaheim. Nothing else would even be remotely viable at this point. But it's not like they're moving anytime soon. Like we've said, until Sterling keels over, the Clippers are staying in LA, to the detriment of themselves really.

I don't even know why the idea of two teams in LA was a good idea at the time.

LA is so big, it's hard to consider Anaheim as anything but part of the metropolitan area...

But I guess you could say the same thing about New Jersey; being in another state just makes it seem a little difference.

At least moving to Anaheim would give them a target fan base though.

Actually, this is an interesting question for discussion - what exactly are the differences in the fan bases of teams in two sport cities? Mostly location within the city?

What type of people make up the core of hardcore Clipper fans? Maybe some people want to root for them as underdogs, like the Brooklyn Dodgers vs the Yankees? And what are the dividing lines between other teams where the rivalry is more even?

I thought Cubs / White Sox had somewhat of a northside/southside and even white/black demarcation; a lot of times isn't there a socioeconomic schism where one team is considered more working class and the other for wealthier people?

I have no idea at all about Yankees/Mets, Rangers/Islanders, and Giants/Jets. The same goes for other teams in the past, I would love to hear what people say about this. I will say that Clippers/Lakers seems quite unique in its one sidedness. From afar it doesn't seem like the Clippers even have the identity of a lovable underdog.

LA is so big, it's hard to consider Anaheim as anything but part of the metropolitan area...

But I guess you could say the same thing about New Jersey; being in another state just makes it seem a little difference.

Actually, this is an interesting question for discussion - what exactly are the differences in the fan bases of teams in two sport cities? Mostly location within the city?

What type of people make up the core of hardcore Clipper fans? Maybe some people want to root for them as underdogs, like the Brooklyn Dodgers vs the Yankees? And what are the dividing lines between other teams where the rivalry is more even?

I thought Cubs / White Sox had somewhat of a northside/southside and even white/black demarcation; a lot of times isn't there a socioeconomic schism where one team is considered more working class and the other for wealthier people?

I have no idea at all about Yankees/Mets, Rangers/Islanders, and Giants/Jets. The same goes for other teams in the past, I would love to hear what people say about this. I will say that Clippers/Lakers seems quite unique in its one sidedness. From afar it doesn't seem like the Clippers even have the identity of a lovable underdog.

This might make for an interesting topic of discussion in its own thread--mind you, over in the ----> "Sports In General" forum, perhaps ^_^--but an interesting topic nonetheless. I myself have often wondered about this very same thing.

So far, the only two things I can effort a good guess on is that Yankee fans are Yankee fans because the Yankees are historical winners, and that the White Sox represent the south side of Chicago???

As for L.A./Anaheim, couldn't tell you.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

andy-roeser.jpg

This may be the best application of a Clippers uniform I've come across so far.

I thought Al Bundy sold shoes...

HAHA! :D

I actually like the Clippers uniforms. They've got a great wordmark and nice simple uniforms. Their logo definitely needs an upgrade though.

This might make for an interesting topic of discussion in its own thread--mind you, over in the ----> "Sports In General" forum, perhaps ^_^--but an interesting topic nonetheless. I myself have often wondered about this very same thing.

So far, the only two things I can effort a good guess on is that Yankee fans are Yankee fans because the Yankees are historical winners, and that the White Sox represent the south side of Chicago???

As for L.A./Anaheim, couldn't tell you.

Well for LA/OC is pretty easy to determin for the most part in Baseball and Hockey

LA is predominantly Dodgers and Kings. The farther south you go there is a some crossover, but not a lot.

OC is predominantly Angels and Ducks. The farther north you go you start to see the fan bases bleed together.

But I honestly for the life of me could not tell you what the Lakers/Clippers battle lines are. I live in South OC and I don't think I've ever met anyone that is a serious Clipper fan. Demographically, I know the Lakers are the predominant team for the Hispanic population. You might think that the Clippers would get more white fans for one reason or another, but I haven't seen that to be the case. And for the African-American community, there are more Laker fans, but there are a fair share of Clipper fans too. As far as geographic boundaries, I don't know if you could make a clear cut distinction anywhere. I know people show up to the games, I just don't know from where lol.

I would say though, if I were to guess, I'd say Laker fans outnumber Clipper fans 3 to 1 in SoCal.

I really don't see how the Clippers have any relevance anywhere. Even that one year that the Clippers were better than the Lakers, people knew about it, but I couldnt tell you how many people actually took notice of it. It is a strange role the Clippers play in LA.

Archived