Russell Martin Jersey

meetthemets

Apparently, the NFL doesn't care about first names - only last names. You can go by whatever you want. Hence, Victor "Macho" Harris is now officially only "Macho Harris".

Also explains the William "Tra" Thomas thing, and the others that were mentioned.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/hofmann...oster_news.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does Pork Chop Womack have P.C. Womack on the back of his jersey?

Oh and though it's been said before. His name. His Jersey. Who Cares?

And it's not self-aggrandizing. He's not trying "enhancing or exaggerating" HIS OWN "importance, power, or reputation"

He's enhancing HIS MOTHER'S "importance, power, or reputation"

Interesting that there is no tendency in the West to call him "Ming Yao," unlike the reversal of Suzuki Ichiro.

Do you think it has to do with immigration patterns and assimilation? Maybe since we've done so much business with Japan, they've gotten flexible with given/family order so that we North Americans don't get confused.

That might be a possibility, as Japan has always had more ties to the West. Then there is Korea, which has heavy influences from both China and Japan. Native Koreans generally use the same format as Chinese, but in America they almost always use the western style. For instance, Chan-Ho Park (given name Chan Ho, surname Park). But then there is also Manchester United's Park Ji-Sung (although he is sometimes listed as Ji-Sung Park).

The Korean World Basbeall Classic team used a western style for the backs of their jerseys, so that players like Bum-Ho Lee (or Lee Bum-Ho) wore B H Lee. But in their domestic league, they use the Korean alphabet, and their jerseys have the full names, written as Lee Bum-Ho.

But the thing that really gets me is that in Japanese, "Ichiro" means "first born son." The only problem is that Ichiro Suzuki has an older brother. <_<

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

If there's a problem with "J. Martin" then is/was there also a problem with "Ichiro" and "Vida"? Those are their given names. They just happen to be their first names.

I don't believe "Ichiro" is a first name in the traditional western sense that we think of as a first name. But I could be wrong... that stuff is confusing to me.

Ya its the same as Yao Ming having "Yao" on his jersey.

The names are reversed basically.

SO techincally, in America they are Suzuki Ichiro and Ming Yao, but their given names are Ichiro Suzuki and Yao Ming.

It be like John Smith being called Smith John in Asia.

Confused Me or I mean Me Confused :wacko:

But specifically to Mr. Martin.... Since the initial is an actual reference to a middle name and it's in honor of his Mother, I have no problem with it. I know that a lot of people out there (and a lot on this board) are hardline "traditionalist" or "purists" when it comes to Jerseys and Logos, but it's his Mom, not a "shout out to a homey!"

Archived