Cubs alternate

BJ Sands

I always groan when I see that the Cubs are wearing their alts. They're just visually boring and don't add much to the set.

My inspiration for this concept was this, worn in the 80's by two division winners.

N536.jpg

I actually liked the red-brimmed hats and wanted to use the walking bear logo, and felt that they made for an interesting combo on an alternate hat. It's also a pet-peeve of mine when a team introduces an alt hat that looks exactly the same on TV (Blue Jays, Red Sox) and the red brim makes these look different than the standard cap.

I would only want to see this worn at Wrigley on Sundays. It could be worn on the road whenever.

cubs.jpg

Here's one with the NL patch:

cubs-1.jpg

I'm not married to the front number, but I think it adds something visually interesting to the jersey.

Be gentle. I know there have been a lot of MLB concepts recently. Just wanted to see how this would look.

I like this. Nice clean design for the Cubs. I always really like it when the Cubs where blue alternates, but this is better than their current IMO. I like the hat too, nice job.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I've always had an issue with the Cubs red number on the blue alt jersey...and it's not an aesthetic reason, it actually looks quite nice. The problem is when they wear them for night games at Wrigley...as you know there are no lights behind the bleachers (they are all on the stadium roof), meaning no light is directly shining on the backs of the players as they face home plate. When I watch the games on tv it is impossible to read the numbers from the centerfield camera as they are all hidden in shadows. Switching to a white number with a red outline would seem to be the solution.

I thought about going with the piping around the neck but I don't think that looks good on a button-down jersey.

As for the red numbers, I've never had a problem with that. Besides, if these were to be worn at home only on Sundays, they would be worn mostly for day games. The lighting wouldn't be a problem at other parks when worn on the road.

Thanks for the C&C.

Piping on the neck could work. I'd make the sleeve piping a little thicker, though, maybe red-white-red. Can't say I'm a fan of the cap, it's too batting practice for me. The regular one would be just fine. Overall, big improvement over the lousy blue alts they have now.

Oh, and the Cubs should only wear white at home. Night game shadow problem solved.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here's what I was referring to with the light problem at Wrigley...

3574314099_056afabf54.jpg

Try getting glasses then. I can see it clearly and have never had a problem and I don't even have HD.

Nice design! (Being a Brew Crew fan, I don't say that about too many C**s designs).

The only issue I could potentially see is that the pattern of the right-side number on front looks a bit Sox-y-Not a good sign for Cubs fans!

bYhYmxh.png

Here's what I was referring to with the light problem at Wrigley...

3574314099_056afabf54.jpg

Y'know, I've never really thought of that issue before but that illustrates it well. Thing is, this would only be worn on Sundays at home and a lot more frequently on the road, so I wouldn't want to change the look for that.

I tried reversing the coloring of the numbers and wasn't impressed. That would also go away from the 1980s look I went for.

-- As for the front number, I'm totally not married to it. If I were at home, I'd post a version without it.

Here's the jersey without the front number and the option to wear the standard cap:

newcubs.jpg

Thanks for the C&C. I don't have much in the way of design skills or time to improve, so this is about the best I can do. Honestly, with this recent edit I tried to put the piping on the neck but my skills didn't allow that to look halfway presentable.

I know my limitations.

• 3 weeks later...

The update is much better than the first one. When the front number was there it looked odd because there more red than white on the numbers, whereas on the logo there is more white than red. I love the hat as well. Some alternate jerseys only work as either home or away, but this one works both ways.

The update is much better than the first one. When the front number was there it looked odd because there more red than white on the numbers, whereas on the logo there is more white than red. I love the hat as well. Some alternate jerseys only work as either home or away, but this one works both ways.

Actually, the hat was inspired by the Cardinals' Sunday cap. It uses a new color scheme and different logo, and I like that and think it makes for a truly alternate look, which I applied to the Cubs.

I tried to make this alt both home and road friendly. I don't like the idea of the Cubs wearing two alternate jerseys.

Archived