Cougars - Nehl Redesign Project

paynomind

Already way ahead of you on the wordmark. ;)

cougar-full.gif

Still have some tweaks to make, but it's progressing.

Sorry Shiznit--I prefer this one for logo and wordmark, but your concept has potential--maybe that's the one to show the BC Lions--the main thing about there logo is that it looks like a kid drew it--no insult intended to the kids out there--I mean one of average drawing ability...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... I'm in the minority on rozilla's Connecticut Cougars concept, as I like the Red outline. It provides the logo with the *pop* that I'm always going on about... and IMHO, the *pop* better communicates the fact that the containment shape is a C.

That said, I'm torn between nitro's design and rozilla's work (with collaboration by Sterling). I'd say submit both to the Connecticut Cougars. What a wonderful "problem" they'd have, huh? Choosing between two phenomenal logo designs... rather than settling for one uninspired mark.

Brian in Boston

Brian I agree those are both excellent logos, but why waste one by submitting both to Connecticut. I think the league and the designers would be better served by having one of the design used for the Ice Cats. I think Nitro's would work better as the Ice Cats logo, due to the fact that Roz's/Sterling's is better suited for the Cougars and wouldn't fit so well with the Ice Cats. Let's net waist either.

First of all, let me just say that you all did AWESOME.

I suggest giving them 2 complete concepts, including wordmarks, primary and secondary logos, uniform design (at least home and away if not an alternate), and let them decide. IMHO, almost all of the concepts I've seen could be turned into the Ice Cats logo with some recoloring and reworking of the wordmark.

But to all of the designers... :notworthy::shocked::notworthy::hockeysmiley::notworthy:

I wish I had the talent. I really do. Maybe I can throw down on the jerseys, but that's about it.

Could either of these marks be "reworked" to fit the Ice Cats' needs? Absolutely. However, I'm of a mind that the designers might actually have something else in mind for the York franchise... wholly separate from their Connecticut Cougars efforts.

Additionally, I would actually have to see what the "reworked" logos looked like before I could decide whether the "new" logos were better suited to the Ice Cats... or, whether they should stand as they are now and be submitted to the Cougars. The more I think about it, I see these two logos as being UNIQUELY suited to the Cougars.

After all, nitro and rozilla were inspired to design these logos with the Connecticut Cougars in mind. They might have completely different visions for the York Ice Cats.

Let's not forget: Joe was given a selection of marks to choose from. Why we should think that the powers-that-be in Connecticut and York will be open to having a single logo submitted to them is beyond me. They have every right to expect a variety of logo packages from which they could POTENTIALLY choose their favorite.

Which brings me to my final point. Joe only mentioned that a potential St. Catherine's expansion team might be in the market for a logo. We have no idea whether or not the Connecticut and York ownership groups are even amenable to a change. Unlike Joe, we have no evidence to suggest that they even know that these logos are being developed on their behalf. Once it is brought to their attention, I believe that they would be much more open to a presentation that offered them choices... as opposed to a simple, "Here's the SINGLE idea we have for your new logo."

Bottom line: Providing a prospective "client" with more than one option during the design process is not a "waste" of a logo. It's standard practice... and good business.

Brian in Boston

Brian, you put my point in much more eloquent words.

I had no idea that this was being done without the teams' knowledge. This is not to say that I think that this is a bad thing. I think that smaller leagues around the continent would be happy to have people that cared enough to improve the image of the teams they incorporate.

My point from the last paragraph is this. This will most likely be a pleasant shock to them, but also giving them choices will make them much more amenable to all of the hard work that has been put forth.

Personally, I have heard from friends in marketing firms that you always present more than one idea. You then take the idea that "wins", for lack of a better term, and then fine tune that idea with the collaboration of the owners. In most cases, the artist and the owners both can be happy with the compromises.

Brian, I also understand your point about the York franchise, and it is a point well taken. The artists involved have better ideas, I'm sure, and can better represent the franchise with individual logos.

My favorites are rozillia's right-side version with the white outline on blue background and nitros. shiznit, yours is very well done, but i'm afraid those two guys really nailed it here.

Shiz, any chance you could adopte yours for an ice-cats concept? I think nitros and roz's are fitting with this very well, but yours could go ice cats.

My favorites are rozillia's right-side version with the white outline on blue background and nitros. shiznit, yours is very well done, but i'm afraid those two guys really nailed it here.

Shiz, any chance you could adopte yours for an ice-cats concept? I think nitros and roz's are fitting with this very well, but yours could go ice cats.

I could try. I'll see what I can do.

Brian, you're right. I guess I was hoping to see them both used.

Here is my attempt at a cougar logo, I tried using Predators and Penguins colors (thought the logo might look cool on their jerseys). The top two use a C as a background, I think the head alone looks to much like many other logos. I still think it doesn't look mean enough, but I'm trying to fix that. Comments and suggestions welcome.

cougars1.gif

Nice work, rider... i like it.. how about a gold C behind a grey head?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Roz, did you end up with a wordmark?

Need one?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• 2 weeks later...

News....

"I finally have to admit that the Sabres aren't going to make the playoffs. Because they didn't, despite having the best record in the Eastern Conference since March's trade deadline. But the antics of Derek Roy, Milan Bartovic, and Chris Taylor continue in the playoffs: they've returned to the Amerks to boost the team through the Division Semifinals against the Syracuse Crunch, in a best-of-seven series stating in Syracuse on the 16th. Other Sabre call-ups include Jason Botterill, Norm Milley, Jiri Novotny, Domenic Pittis, and goalie Ryan Miller, with veteran winger Jason Dawe rounding out the familiar faces.

Closer to home, hockey continues to entertain the masses on other levels. The Buffalo Wings Roller Hockey League (born of the Wings professional team, and well-outliving the professional league) has joined the Professional Inline Hockey Association this year with a semi-pro team. The coaches (Jay Cieselski, Sr. and BWRHL founder and "all-around old goalie" Jason Klein) hand-picked BWRHL players for the team, making local talent the rule. Klein and Cieselski will be "taunting officials" while "alternating bench door-opening duties" for local players Eric Haak (Lockport), top-ranked roller hockey goaltender Jason Flowers (Lancaster), star pugilist of the Buffalo Wings pro team Ken Corp (Buffalo Riverside), and Niagara University ice hockey star Chris Welch (Kenmore).

The exhibition team's only two home games will be played on May 22nd at the Amherst Pepsi Center. Tickets for the games are already on sale there, for a whopping $5 each. If you'd rather "do" than watch, join one of the nearly 100 youth and adult inline teams competing this summer in the BWRHL - open registration continues at the APC until April 22nd, with details available at http://www.buffalowings.net.

"Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction" is in reruns now. The show "re-enacts" several incredible situations. At the end of the show, the host tells you which are true, confirmable stories, and which ones they made up. And THAT is the page that is always missing from my Buffalo News.

The team name and logo for Buffalo's new minor-league hockey team were unveiled at a recent press conference. Team owner Joe Kolodziej answered questions about the team, the North East Hockey League, players, schedule ... and then the News reporter asked if he had the rights to the franchise.

Confused by the question (the team was announced in February), Kolodziej explained that the franchise agreement was signed December 23rd. The News story then ran with... the new logo? No. One of many photos taken at the Chophouse? No. It ran with the headline "Dispute Clouds Hockey Announcement." No mention of Kolodziej's confirmation of a signed franchise agreement. It quoted the GM of the Jamestown Titans as saying, "We have not picked the owner yet."

"We?" Rob Madia was the GM and a player at the time the article was written, not a League official. He had approached Kolodziej for a job with the Buffalo franchise, so he understood at some point that Kolodziej was already the franchise holder. After the News' article appeared, Madia's involvement with the League was reduced to an "as-needed" basis.

I've seen the franchise agreement (amended January 13th) - there's no dispute. Any resemblance to real persons or events is coincidental.

Other facts the News thought readers wouldn't find interesting: the Buffalo Stampede has hired Alain Lemieux as a special consultant. Lemieux played professionally for St. Louis, Québec, and Pittsburgh, coached in the ECHL, and has a younger brother named Mario. He'll be in Buffalo to run free agent camps over the summer.

The NEHL's salary cap is $4000 per team per week: "These guys are playing for the love of the game. They're not playing to make a whole lot of money, because they're not making a whole lot of money." By keeping all ticket prices under $10, Kolodziej can put families in the seats: "We'll focus on skill development, fair play, and a fun time. ... Where can you go out as a family of four and spend $40 for the best seats in the house?"

After starting a team in Northern Michigan with the IIHL (a league that then fell upon financial troubles), WNY-native Kolodziej took the opportunity to "come home, get in touch with my family, be part of the community." He's not kidding - his players' contracts require them to perform two hours of community service every week. And while arena leases still haven't been settled, Kolodziej is looking for office space in the City: "It's important as an organization to be in Buffalo. If you're going to call yourself the 'Buffalo' Stampede, you need to be well-grounded (in Buffalo)."

What an attitude! Good thing the Buffalo News is there to discourage Buffalonians who want to come home and invest in the area..."

Archived