Broncos Identity Switch 1996

Captain Poncho

Some of those logos thew drew weren't that bad, others were pretty, well, ugly.

If you go through the slideshow, you can see an early rendition of the old University of Cincinnati basketball unforms. Although they [luckily] didn't turn out exactly like is shown is the picture, the vertical stripes going down the back of the jersey and onto the shorts are like an early idea for Nike SOD, only ten years earlier.

Very Interesting indeed.

That was very interesting, especially the helmet with the logo coming from the back. Out of all that was in the slideshow, I like what they picked the best.

And all the "Evil Horse" logos looked like dragons, I'm really happy they didn't go with those.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That was very interesting, especially the helmet with the logo coming from the back. Out of all that was in the slideshow, I like what they picked the best.

And all the "Evil Horse" logos looked like dragons, I'm really happy they didn't go with those.

Amen. In fact on the 1st page of sketches the outlined one in the upper left looks a lot like the old AFL New York Dragons logo.

That's some cool stuff, nice post.

Most of those preliminary sketches look like dragons rather than horses (edit: looks like a lot of people saw this lol). Their final identity was spot on though. I love the current Broncos logo, very iconic.

And what's up with the Viking Mavericks and Hurricane Trail Blazers logos? And some of thos Oregon logos look really weird.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Nice find. I love seeing stuff like this. Makes me wonder though...do these teams actually pick the best available option most of the time or do we just become so used to something over time that we couldn't have imagined them choosing something else. The other thing I noticed is that all too often, we try to over-complicate design. Most of the time, simpler is better, cleaner, and more timeless.

That Mavericks logo would have been cool for about 5 minutes...and completely gone within 2 years.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

That Mavericks logo would have been cool for about 5 minutes...and completely gone within 2 years.

that's pretty much how i feel about what they went with, though.

Saw this posted on Uniwatch a week or two ago. Fascinating.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What was wrong with what the Broncos had?

The Broncos lost 4 Super Bowls - by ever-increasing point margins - in the Orange Crush uniforms. They had also just completed a 13-3 season and had home field advantage throughout the 1996 playoffs...and got bounced in the first round by a Florida team in their own stadium in the winter. True or not, the perception was that the orange uniforms were too 'weak' and caused them to lose.

I'm not superstitious like that, but athletes can be extremely superstitious. The orange-clad Buccs stunk from 1983-96, and then went to the playoffs as soon as they changed their uniforms.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Gods know, my Packers have sucked air plenty since Vince came down from the mountaintop with his green-and-gold uniforms, but that doesn't mean that they should have changed them.

Okay, there's one thing that makes me scratch my head.

"We went to great lengths to make the identity timeless, which was not the trend at the time."

Excuse me? You can say lots of things about the Broncos' new look, but "timeless" isn't the first thing to spring to mind. Or the second, or the hundred-and-twelfth. Its entire appeal is that it is au courant, not "timeless" at all.

Gods know, my Packers have sucked air plenty since Vince came down from the mountaintop with his green-and-gold uniforms, but that doesn't mean that they should have changed them.

Okay, there's one thing that makes me scratch my head.

"We went to great lengths to make the identity timeless, which was not the trend at the time."

Excuse me? You can say lots of things about the Broncos' new look, but "timeless" isn't the first thing to spring to mind. Or the second, or the hundred-and-twelfth. Its entire appeal is that it is au courant, not "timeless" at all.

yea i agree. i think of the Broncos as setting the current modern look. the Cardinals, Falcons, Vikings all reflect that Bronco style

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived