The Whale Is Officially Back!

Neon_Matrix

I've wanted one of these since 95

away_whalers_93-94_frontrs.jpg

Gahh. Stop! Me wanty!

If I ever get off my ass and either start skating or off my ass in general, I am starting a rec league or sponge hockey team, and we will use the jersey (if not the logo) as our uniform. I :censored: you not.

Did Hartford count as a Boston team?

That's a very important question for me when deciding whether or not to wear any of this gear...

They played in the Boston Garden their first year of existence in the WHA. Not sure if that qualifies them as a "Boston" team for you though.

They were, technically, the New England Whalers at that point.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a thing of beauty....

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oh, if someone tries to doubt the beauty of that, I'll gladly administer the beating.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They played in the Boston Garden their first year of existence in the WHA. Not sure if that qualifies them as a "Boston" team for you though.

That they did. My family had season-tickets. It was a phenomenal season, culminating - as it did - in a championship. Boston was a pro hockey boomtown at the time, playing host to the NHL Boston Bruins, the WHA New England Whalers and the AHL Boston Braves.

When the Whalers moved to Hartford, my uncle and cousins in Connecticut ended up purchasing season-tickets for the team, so we continued following their exploits.

That's a very important question for me when deciding whether or not to wear any of this gear...

More just a matter of they identified with the Boston area or not. I dunno.

I guess I could get over it.

Especially for a Chris Pronger or Nelson Emerson jersey.

I've lived in the greater Hartford area for a year, and Hartford is not Boston. There are a lot of Boston fans here, but Yankees fans are here too. Boston fans have the Bruins.

We can't all be Cardinals.

Ben5 summed it up perfectly. Hartford isn't Boston. There's obviously influence due to the population of Bostonians, but there's also your fair share of New Yorkers, as well. It's basically the middle-point between the two cities.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

No, but apparently you've got the knack for the obvious and unfunny joke.

And... Emerson on a Whalers jersey? What next, STL, you're going to suggest a Twist Nordiques jersey?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been led to understand that the people of Hartford don't think much of the Patriots after being used as a pawn by Bob Kraft to get a new stadium in Foxboro.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Whalers were never considered a Boston team, while they were in the NHL. In fact, I think most Boston fans hated the Whalers as much as they did the Canadiens. When the local news still showed sports highlights, the Whale was rarely ever part of the package. Celts, Bruins, Sox and Pats. No Whalers.

There's a reason they were referred to as "the hated B's" in these parts. The feeling was mutual. Hell, I've only gotten over hating the Bruins this season.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

That they did. My family had season-tickets. It was a phenomenal season, culminating - as it did - in a championship. Boston was a pro hockey boomtown at the time, playing host to the NHL Boston Bruins, the WHA New England Whalers and the AHL Boston Braves.

Oddly enough, our family had seasons for the Jets for the duration of their WHA existence (7 rows behind the Jets' net), ceasing in 1979 only because they not only tripled the price of our tickets, but wanted to relocate us to high up in a corner of the Arena.

My worst childhood memories were of New England coming in and handing our asses to us every game. Those memories are tempered, of course, by the four Avco Cups, and the Cup on permanent display in the MTSC.

In essence, then, screw you, Brian. :P

Welcome to DrunjFlix

No, but apparently you've got the knack for the obvious and unfunny joke.

And... Emerson on a Whalers jersey? What next, STL, you're going to suggest a Twist Nordiques jersey?

About as unfunny and annoying as the unnecessary and overdone hatred for Boston and anything related to it.

The Whalers were never considered a Boston team, while they were in the NHL. In fact, I think most Boston fans hated the Whalers as much as they did the Canadiens. When the local news still showed sports highlights, the Whale was rarely ever part of the package. Celts, Bruins, Sox and Pats. No Whalers.

There was a lot of dislike around here about the Whalers, but for different reasons than the Habs. The B's only played the Whale twice in the postseason and won both times. I think it was more a natural proximity rivalry than a get beat down yearly by the Canadiens rivalry. Regardless, can't help but wish they never left.

Does anyone else hate that "Vintage Hockey" logo they slap all over this kind of stuff? I will never buy any apparel displaying that stupid V prominently. It's a shame, because I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff, but I just can't get past it.

"Purists will bitch and whine, but so what? Purists will Always bitch and whine. That is their function. Res Ipsa Loquitur."

-HST

Funny, that is the topic if my blog entry today, as today is the date they were made to change their name from "New England" to "Hartford".

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/2009...rd-whalers.html

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Firstly, Peter Sidorkiewicz ftw.

Secondly, this will be great news for my friend who is obsessed (and I do mean obsessed) with Manny Legace, who will probably want to get one to commemorate the fact that he got drafted by them in '93 after playing for the Toronto Planets of RHI.

philly.png

Archived