The Whale Is Officially Back!

Neon_Matrix

Why was he hated in Carolina? He was part of the trade that sent Rod Brind'Amour to the Canes, who was the captain when they won the cup. If anything I'd think that Canes fans would be thanking him.

As for why Primeau is hated in Carolina, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, or elaborate, but toward the end of his time with the Hurricanes, he was known as "Primeau-donna". He held out for a new contract, until he was traded for Brindy. While yes, I'm sure the Canes fans have been more than happy with what they got in return for Primeau, that doesn't change the fact that they felt he was a primadonna. The rumor at the time was that it was going to either be Lindros or Brind'amour for Primeau. Hindsight being 20/20, Brindy should be the Flyers captain to this day.

Exactly. It's just like the Yashin situation in Ottawa. The fact that the team got Chara and a pick that turned out to be Spezza didn't stop fans from hating him and booing him any chance we got.

Speaking of Chara, why do most Canadian teams (especially Montreal and Toronto) boo him at any chance they get? Simply because he played for Ottawa?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why was he hated in Carolina? He was part of the trade that sent Rod Brind'Amour to the Canes, who was the captain when they won the cup. If anything I'd think that Canes fans would be thanking him.

By that logic, Falcons fans should LOVE Michael Vick, because if he hadn't fought and drowned dogs and been sent to prison, they never would have drafted Matt Ryan.

• 4 months later...

Bump/Update/Back On Topic: Whalers jerseys are for sale. Kinda.

River City Sports and IceJerseys are both now selling this take on the throwback, claiming to be from 1979. Ugh. First off, it's one of those acrylic sweaters, designed to replicate the wool looks of the '40s and '50s. Second, the crest is the more modern version, not the one the Whale debuted with in the NHL. Third (and most glaringly), no Pucky on the shoulders. Fourth, the hem striping didn't go all the way to the bottom until '85. In fact, after doing a little nhluniforms.com research, every aspect of this jersey appears to date from 1985 or later, and with the sleeve stripes straight and as low as they are on the sleeves, this looks to be the 1991-92 version.

So, it's a jersey from 1991, claiming it's from 1979, made from materials designed to make it look like it's from 1952. I'd sooner set my $119 on fire than lay it out for this half-assed effort. Neon, please tell me there are more and better things coming for Whalers jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Bump/Update/Back On Topic: Whalers jerseys are for sale. Kinda.

River City Sports and IceJerseys are both now selling this take on the throwback, claiming to be from 1979. Ugh. First off, it's one of those acrylic sweaters, designed to replicate the wool looks of the '40s and '50s. Second, the crest is the more modern version, not the one the Whale debuted with in the NHL. Third (and most glaringly), no Pucky on the shoulders. Fourth, the hem striping didn't go all the way to the bottom until '85. In fact, after doing a little nhluniforms.com research, every aspect of this jersey appears to date from 1985 or later, and with the sleeve stripes straight and as low as they are on the sleeves, this looks to be the 1991-92 version.

So, it's a jersey from 1991, claiming it's from 1979, made from materials designed to make it look like it's from 1952. I'd sooner set my $119 on fire than lay it out for this half-assed effort. Neon, please tell me there are more and better things coming for Whalers jerseys.

As long as there is a 1979 white and a 1994 Navy jersey on the way, I'm happy.

Of course I'm also hoping for decent 1974 Winnipeg jerseys to hit the market, so what do I know?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Is that how Pucky is supposed to look?

I'd have gotten a better photo but I could not find another jersey like this in the store. Maybe I'll ask to look at it next time I am near by and get a better image.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Whale2.jpg

Oh, this is just a whole bucket o' Want. Good to see someone realized there's money to be had from the Whalers. I may even have to buy a new navy jersey - I still have an original one, but it's got my own name and number on the back. Hey, cut me some slack, I was 19 at the time.

WOW I love this!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I have that jersey and have been debating who to get on it. I'm thinking either Pronger or Coffey.

-Dan

I guess if you wanted to go for star power, then yes, those are good choices. However, if you wanna go the "fan favorite" route, might I suggest Sean Burke or Geoff Sanderson? Could also go REALLY obscure with a Robert Kron!

What, no love for Kevin Dineen?

(or Jason Muzzatti?)

I'm a week late, but what a memory jogger...Jason Muzzatti? Former Michigan State goalie? Wow, I either forgot or never realized he played in the NHL. Also, I see nobody's mentioned Zarley Zalapski as an option, what's up with that? Or did he never wear that version?

By the way, this seems like a decent place to ask a question that I've long wondered about. How in the world did the nickname "the Whale" catch on? I mean, aren't whalers pretty much the opposite and enemy of whales? That always seemed weird to me.

Also, I see nobody's mentioned Zarley Zalapski as an option, what's up with that? Or did he never wear that version?

By the way, this seems like a decent place to ask a question that I've long wondered about. How in the world did the nickname "the Whale" catch on? I mean, aren't whalers pretty much the opposite and enemy of whales? That always seemed weird to me.

Zarley Zalapski is never an option, no matter how humorous the name may be, unless your goal is to make a Whalers fan cry. As for the nickname, once the move from the WHA to NHL came in '79, and the harpoon got ditched for the tail logo, the team's identity as a whole was much more identifiable with the animal than the profession. (Come to think of it, when they went to the NHL, they could have easily changed to the "Hartford Whales. Wonder if that was ever considered.)

So, there's that, and there's also the semi-famous line from Mallrats: "Breakfasts come and go, Renee. Now Hartford? The Whale? They beat Vancouver maybe once, twice in a lifetime."

Oh, and that Pucky patch does seem kinda inaccurate. He should have a little bit of a smile going on, and though it's partly obscured, something seems off about that eye detail.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Zarley Zalapski is never an option

I suppose that now you're going to tell us that Merlin Malinowski is a no-go as well. :crosses arms:

I would never rule out the Wizard of Saskatchewan. And yes, I had to go to HockeyDB to confirm that this was an actual player, and not just one of the many names you've gone by during your career in adult cinema.

I have that jersey and have been debating who to get on it. I'm thinking either Pronger or Coffey.

-Dan

I guess if you wanted to go for star power, then yes, those are good choices. However, if you wanna go the "fan favorite" route, might I suggest Sean Burke or Geoff Sanderson? Could also go REALLY obscure with a Robert Kron!

What, no love for Kevin Dineen?

(or Jason Muzzatti?)

I'm a week late, but what a memory jogger...Jason Muzzatti? Former Michigan State goalie? Wow, I either forgot or never realized he played in the NHL. Also, I see nobody's mentioned Zarley Zalapski as an option, what's up with that? Or did he never wear that version?

Mr. Muzzatti is now the goaltending coach in our own backyard Milo, the Flint Generals!

http://www.mlive.com/generals/index.ssf/2009/08/flint_generals_hire_jason_muzz.html

Mr. Muzzatti is now the goaltending coach in our own backyard Milo, the Flint Generals!

Hopefully, they're actually paying him. Flint had a bit of an issue with that last year.

Archived