Houston Astros Rebrand

Shumway

I got kinda bored this morning while I was watching the fine film Short Circuit, so I did a concept for the first time in a little while. I like the 'Stros current set, but I don't think it fits the whole, well, 'Astro' theme, but rather a west theme. As far as logos, I wanted a more "futuristic", I guess, font for the wordmarks and the return of the "star-h" in some manner. I also wanted to hint at the current star logo, but alter it a bit for an update. I also wanted a different route as far as colors. Originally, I had it as navy (hinting at deep space without going to black) and silver with orange as a tertiary color, but the more I got into the concept, the more I added the orange. Anyways, on with the logos.

AstrosLogos.png

As for uniforms, there's a fair amount of orange here. As I mentioned earlier, I originally worked with solely navy and silver, but I figured orange is a little more unique to MLB. Yes, the Giants, Tigers, and Orioles use orange in their schemes, but it's not the primary color in any of them. I did keep the navy cap, however. I added an orange and a navy alternate jersey...pretty simple set overall, but I prefer baseball uniforms to be a little more simple. For the BP cap, I meant to put just the star on the cap (sans-H), but I forgot to switch it out. I'll get to it if I make any other changes.

AstrosH.png

AstrosR.png

AstrosA1.png

AstrosA2.png

AstrosBP.png

Anyways, here it is. I figured I'd share. Have at it.

Edit: Apparently, I forgot to watermark some of the images, so, uh, don't steal my work :D

I got kinda bored this morning while I was watching the fine film Short Circuit

Steve Guttenberg often inspires me to do my best work too. I wrote the best paper of my college career while watching "Can't Stop the Music."

Great choice with the return of blue/orange and the modern look is more befitting a team named "Astros."

Does anyone else think the star is kind of lost nehind the "H" on the cap? What does it look like if the streaking star extended slightly beyond the left of the "H"?

I really like this, too. The wordmark on the jerseys with the star under it, kind of a homage to the original unis, really looks sharp. The "h-star" logo doesn't pop like the unis, but still works really well. And the colors are good choices. Really solid rebrand Shum.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Very nice set. I would make the lettering on the same line on the bottom and fit Houston in at the top. The way you have it now that negative space between the A and the S looks a little odd. But I don't know maybe dropping the letters and putting the Houston in the gap would make it to cluttered. I also agree the star seems a little lost behind the H.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

The logos are nice, and the uniforms are clean and simple. This seems like a pretty nice identity, and definitely fits the team name better than the current identity. Nice balance between colors, too. Good work!

scotland_fifasig.png

Really nice. The "h-star" looks really off balance because of the difference in the stroke weight around the "H" vs. the star. I like the idea of bringing the star forward. That might make that balance out a little better.

Really love the wordmarks. Great work there.

However, I think the H-star logo needs work. I agree that the large difference in line weight between the H and the star needs to be addressed. Also, I think the star needs to be in front of the H, with the left 'point' streaking across the horizontal stroke on the H. Right now, I think the H is blocking too much of the star.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Not a fan of the lower case "n" in Houston, but otherwise I think the uniforms are fairly awesome. As others have mentioned ahead of me, the logo is definitely the weak part.

I like the H-Star, but maybe it'd work better with the star on the left? If you're trying to convey motion, then there shouldn't be anything in front of the letter in the direction it's moving in, if that makes any sense.

The wordmarks look OK, but on the jerseys, they'd look a lot better if the letters were all the same height. The shooting-star underline doesn't work well with an uneven space between it and each of the letters.

Also agree with the comments about the width of the outline of the star vs. the H.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In my opinion, this is almost exactly what the Astros should be wearing. I definitely prefer this color scheme over their current one. The wordmarks are very sharp, I love how the streaking star pays homage to the past while also looking modern (which is exactly how a space-themed team should look). I didn't like the cap logo at first, but now it's starting to grow on me. The primary is also very good. I'm not particularly fond of the white piping in the orange alt, but that's really all I can think of in terms of improvement. Great job.

ph_407812.jpgNickAdenhart.pngph_458675.jpg

Thanks for the comments thus far, fellas. I'm not sure when (or if) I'll get around to making changes, but you definitely brought up some good points. I'm debating doing a partial MLB rebrand series, so this may be revisited.

Well, I got bored again and updated this. Not a huge change, really. I messed with the H-star logo to make it line up with the H's crossbar a bit better, and I also made the letters the same height on the wordmark to eliminate the strange negative space. Other than that, I added an orange brim to the home cap.

AstrosLog.png

AstrosUnis.png

Unfortunate as it is, the way that H-star logo is renderd is really giving me a "Toronto Blue Jays" vibe. It may be because I keep seeing the maple leaf tucked behind the "T" when I look at this. That said, it's not a bad rendering at all. In fact, now that you've made the updates you have, and even before that, I actually really like this set.

(On another note, how in the hell did we manage to almost comment in each other's threads at damn near the same time??)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived