Untouchable logo - Chicago Blackhawks

undead

I've been watching the Wings-Blackhawks series and I was thinking how much Chicago needs an updated logo so I whipped this up. The hawks logo always looks too happy to me so I tried to toughen him up. I created a new tertiary logo because I've always liked the crossed tomahawks with the 'C' as a secondary. Anyone who's followed my work knows I like to dress up letters of the alphabet.

newblackhawkslogo.png

And here's the tertiary:

blackhawksalt.png

I'm not going to do any uniforms because the hawks don't need any changes to their current set. I'm not a huge fan of their jerseys but that design is iconic.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I have often thought the same thing: the 'Hawks could use just a few small tweaks. I think that you nailed this one, it looks fantastic. This is just what they need.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

The button holding the feathers together need to stand out a little bit from the hair, and the end of the feathers seems wrong, the top one should also be red if they are flowing the same as the current logo. Other than that, this is an outstanding update to the logo, I would love to see it on some jerseys.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

I think it's a very good rework of an "untouchable" logo. You kept the spirit of the original with making only minor changes. I don't think it lost anything from the original that was absolutely necessary to keep. Very good job.

gYH2mW9.png

I love the updated logo a big upgrade in my opinion. I still think you should put it on a jersey even if it the same template just so we can get an idea.

Also the younger looking Indian (im aware that is politically incorrect) could represent the young Hawks ... :o

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Your logo looks great, just not for the Blackhawks. What would be the point of throwing away all that brand recognition?

The Blackhawks already have arguably the best looking logo in sports and it has a ton of history invested in it. It is a VERY strong brand. Updating a logo with that much brand recognition would be absolutely suicidal in the real world.

People need to remember that a logo doesn't just look good. It is supposed to build an image and connect with the public. It starts out as an an empty container. It takes years to fill it up and build the right image with the public. This is why corporations spend millions of dollars on design teams and focus groups when they implement a new logo or brand. When you update a well known and well liked brand like this all you are essentially doing is dumping the contents of the container on the ground and putting a new one in place.

I think you should focus on a logo that people might want to replace. Take the Moose Jaw Warriors for instance. There's a franchise with a long history and a terrible logo. That would be a much better challenge for a person of your talent and the team might even consider using it if it were good.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Your logo looks great, just not for the Blackhawks. What would be the point of throwing away all that brand recognition?

The Blackhawks already have arguably the best looking logo in sports and it has a ton of history invested in it. It is a VERY strong brand. Updating a logo with that much brand recognition would be absolutely suicidal in the real world.

People need to remember that a logo doesn't just look good. It is supposed to build an image and connect with the public. It starts out as an an empty container. It takes years to fill it up and build the right image with the public. This is why corporations spend millions of dollars on design teams and focus groups when they implement a new logo or brand. When you update a well known and well liked brand like this all you are essentially doing is dumping the contents of the container on the ground and putting a new one in place.

I think you should focus on a logo that people might want to replace. Take the Moose Jaw Warriors for instance. There's a franchise with a long history and a terrible logo. That would be a much better challenge for a person of your talent and the team might even consider using it if it were good.

Would it? Do you know how many times Ford, Jaguar, and even Coca-Cola have revised or modernised their "iconic" brand identities in the last ten years? It's more than you'd think, Ford did it as recently as 2003/4 and may even have tweaked it since then!

I know people become more emotionally attached to a sports franchise than they do say a car manufacturer or soft drink, but that is still no reason to claim something is untouchable. Sooner or later everything requires a little modernisation and a clean up, first lesson we were taught at college, and i mean pretty much day 1: If you cant stand the thought of seeing your artistic creations in the trash or updated by someone else three years later then leave and go do a fine art course because in graphics thats what will happen.

Had Undead come up with an entirely new identity then i could understand why people would get upset but i feel he's treated the initial subject matter with a great deal of respect and care and has a mark that retains all the emotional connections fans would have with the original but in a slightly more modern package. I'm not saying they should or need to change the logo i just think you are over exagerating the effects the brand facelift that Undead created here would have, as it happens all the time in the real world with major brands and hey the world keeps turning.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

It's difficult to like a different logo for the Blackhawks, which is why I don't like yours more. That's not to say it isn't good. Your logo is excellent. The design is so much more crisp and tougher than the old on. I can't see it on a Hawks sweater, but you did a really good job on this, so much kudos to you

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Sorry, but you took away my favorite part of the logo when you changed his expression. Chief Black Hawk's slight smile is what makes it so great, because it avoids both a stern Indian stereotype like the Redskins logo or a grinning idiot racist caricature like Chief Wahoo.

First, you stole my freakin' thunder! I've done an update for the Hawks very similar to this that I was going to be posting in my series soon.

But I think yours looks very good. It's a very subtle upgrade. And I agree with 9erssteve about logos evolving. That happens all the time in the world of sport and business. It's how institutions keep their brand recognition while still modernizing themselves.

My only suggestion would be to tweak the mouth expression. As Jamikel said, that Mona Lisa-type smirk is so distinctive and uncommon in a sports logo, I think it should probably stay.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

For all you fans of smirking Blackhawks, here you go:

blackhawkslogocomparisonsmirk.png

The slight smirk is the only update so far to this logo. I'll probably post some jerseys when I get the chance. Thanks for all the comments so far guys. If there's anything else I should fix, let me know.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I can't give the seal of approval. The new indian appears to look rather like a simpsons character, and the charm of the neon indian isn't translated into this new one. While it's a noble concept I would be quite distraught if the hawks were to move in this kind of direction.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I like the concept, however i think it needs to carry over some elements of the current indian to it's design.

And the secondary is just lazy.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived