Monterrey Mexpos?!?

mrfab

"... this just in..."

This week's 3/24 USA Today SPORTS WEEKLY, decent baseball/football tabloid, runs a weekly MLB column by Bob Nightengale, good writer. It has a feature "The Buzz" supposedly rumors/inside info, always at least interesting. Here's the lead

feature from this week's edition, maybe you read it:

"Major League Baseball plans to move the Montreal Expos to Monterrey, Mexico, barring last-minute glitches, said a high-ranking MLB official."

:therock: I can hang with Los Mexpos, not my 1st choice for their home, but Latin American expansion/relocation seems inevitable & a wise move, overall. I wonder if a Mexican/Latin MLB team would do well for a few years then lose momentum.

They'd face the same currency & cultural problems that the Canadian MLB teams do I think.

I post this as the 1ST "definitive rumor", now THERE's an oxymoron, I think, as to where Les Expos actually might end up. I suspect we'll be hearing more "definitive rumors" in the days ahead...

:flagcanada: LOVE Les Expos, love 'em, dang it all!! B)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

wow, did MLB actually make a decision on this?seems odd :blink:

but monterreys an interesting choice, i dont know if its smart, but maybe itll pay off

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

It's an interesting proposition and I am sure that the NFL and NBA will watch this experiment (if it does in fact go from rumor to fact) to see whether Mexico is a viable top-tier pro sports market. Of course this could also be a stalking horse intended by MLB to get the other stateside contenders to up their ante's and/or obtain realistic and ironclad stadium deals that might get the bigwigs to change their mind regarding the Monterrey situation.

"... please be advised..."

This blurb I read has in NO way been corroborated anywhere else and is to date to my knowledge NOT an official announcement. I trust MLB (now THERE's a dangerous assumption in itself! :D ) will make their official announcement well-publicized. I posted/mentioned it because it's the 1ST such new account blurb I've come across claiming that ANY relocation decision's been made, official or otherwise.

"Mexpos" is my own contraction of "Mexican Expos"; the Monterrey Mexican League team is "Sultans". BTW, Mexico City's biggest of two league teams is "Diablos Rojos", or "Red Devils".

As previously ranted, I'm hoping for a Las Vegas or DC relocation, but a lot of what I've read says MLB is taking a serious look @ Monterrey & Mexico.

VIVA Los Mexpos! :shocked:

how funny would a Monterrey/Toronto World Series be?    :D

Hmmm... that would depend upon whether or not you drank any "agua" while you were in Monterrey. If you did, then it probably wouldn't be funny at all.

Brian in Boston

Yes, but then there might be some justification for singing that little playground song from our youth.

You know the one:

"When you're slidin' into first . . . . . "

Wish I could remember what sportswriter came up w/a gem of a quip about a potential Monterrey/Toronto World Series: "Just HOW many national anthems would be required to be sung before every game?!?". LOL'ing here!

I could easily hang w/Tidewater Expos. Quite a story there, a pair of 20somethings

fronting the effort & they have their city, state & MLB's serious attention. Call them the Norfolk Neptunes, the name of their renowned 60's minor league football team. Come up with a trident "N" letter for their caps, somewhat like the old Mariners' trident "M", I'll leave that to ALL the CC graphic whizzes :notworthy: .

It would be nice to see VA finally get their first big league team. As a 'Spos diehard, ALL I ask of any potential relocation community is that they do but ONE thing:

LOVE my Expos, LOVE their "Never say die!" spirit, dang y'all! :shocked:

Thank you all for enduring yet another rant of mine. B)

how funny would a Monterrey/Toronto World Series be? :D

Hmmm... that would depend upon whether or not you drank any "agua" while you were in Monterrey. If you did, then it probably wouldn't be funny at all.

Brian in Boston

Yes, but then there might be some justification for singing that little playground song from our youth.

You know the one:

"When you're slidin' into first . . . . . "

my favorite is 'when your slidin into home...'

or, 'when you're ridin in your chevy...'

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The actually experiment of moving teams to the south has to start sometime. For the sake of pro sports and it's international popularity, I hope this goes through.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I dont care any more anywhere anywhere anywhere Im sick of this discussion I got Expos rlocation fatigue :sleepy:

I have a serious case of ERF, too..

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived