The Road to Omaha

HedleyLamarr

Georgia State and Georgia Southern both got eliminated.

Georgia managed 24 runs against Ohio State yesterday, but only 2 today against Florida State.

North Carolina is 2-0.

My cousin just graduated from high school, he's a 6'5 left handed pitcher that throws 90 and Ohio State didn't want him. Apparently they're really good at evaluating talent. <_<

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dallas Baptist should not be steaming - Oklahoma State did better in their conference than Dallas Baptist did in theirs - it is as simple as that.
Will, once again you are a shining beacon of ignorance. There's a good reason Dallas Baptist didn't do as well in a conference as Oklahoma State, the Patriots don't have one to play in. They have to play as an independent because no conference is willing to house a team that only plays one sport in Division I(They're currently in the Division II Heartland Conference for their other sports) and a recent move-up at that.
But if you're not in a conference, in reality you should be going unbeaten to have a chance to make it - and they didn't.
That argument makes no sense what so ever.
Sure it does. If you have no conference affiliation, then you should have to go unbeaten to make the tournament, because you don't play a tough conference schedule.

This is one of the most idiotic comments I have ever seen regarding sports. Do you realize what you are saying? You are practically saying that if you aren't in a conference, you should go near unbeaten to make postseason play....as if you think they play YMCA teams or something during the regular season?

Being in or out of a conference says nothing about strength of schedule bro. See Notre Dame in football. While they are often undeserving of most of the credit they get, they still seem to play a solid schedule while being an Independent school. Look at their schedule. It isn't great by any SEC standards...but it isn't horrible either.

Bottom line is that Oklahoma State has no business in the postseason. I don't care how they are doing now that they ARE in it...they never deserved the privilege to participate. Baseball is a funny sport sometimes and the 'top to bottom' better team doesn't always win. That is why series are played. They won't last in this tournament.

This is one of the most idiotic comments I have ever seen regarding sports. Do you realize what you are saying? You are practically saying that if you aren't in a conference, you should go near unbeaten to make postseason play....as if you think they play YMCA teams or something during the regular season?

Being in or out of a conference says nothing about strength of schedule bro. See Notre Dame in football. While they are often undeserving of most of the credit they get, they still seem to play a solid schedule while being an Independent school. Look at their schedule. It isn't great by any SEC standards...but it isn't horrible either.

Bottom line is that Oklahoma State has no business in the postseason. I don't care how they are doing now that they ARE in it...they never deserved the privilege to participate. Baseball is a funny sport sometimes and the 'top to bottom' better team doesn't always win. That is why series are played. They won't last in this tournament.

I did not see nearly unbeaten, I said "unbeaten". It's not impossible for a team to do that. And let's not bring Notre Dame into this. Nevada, Washington, Washington State, and Navy, none on the road. Cupcake city! You don't see SEC teams playing like that, they've got a war week in and week out. I mean, Florida is at Kentucky, at LSU, at Georgia, and at South Carolina, all very tough opponents.

If Notre Dame went 12-0 with their current schedule, I'd say they'd be a perfect fit for, say, the Gator Bowl.

LvZYtbZ.png

I did not see nearly unbeaten, I said "unbeaten". It's not impossible for a team to do that.

Whoa there. Wait a second. You are saying it shouldn't be hard to go undefeated in a college baseball season?

I did not see nearly unbeaten, I said "unbeaten". It's not impossible for a team to do that.
Whoa there. Wait a second. You are saying it shouldn't be hard to go undefeated in a college baseball season?
If you're an independent, and you're good, it should be easy to go undefeated.

LvZYtbZ.png

Please tell me your logic behind thinking that way. Seriously. I am beginning to thinkyou are joking...or at least hoping that.

Next, research the last team that went undefeated in a college baseball season and report your results.

There are a few issues with that, will.

One is that it's hard as hell for an indepedent to play a high caliber opponent every game, and since a baseball season is about 50-60 games long, chances of getting teams that could be NCAA bound are slim to none. Some of these schools are stuck playing low caliber teams or worst. How can anyone take a team seriously when they haven't beaten anyone worth a damn?

Also, what about other teams in the picture? There are teams that could of done well in conference play and would look better in the eyes of the Selection Committee then say, a 35-40 win independent team.

Oh, and one more thing: Ohio State fans may want to hide in the nearest corner when I say this... The Buckeyes are losing to Florida State to the tune of 21-0 in the Bottom of the 4th inning.

Georgia State and Georgia Southern both got eliminated.

Georgia managed 24 runs against Ohio State yesterday, but only 2 today against Florida State.

North Carolina is 2-0.

My cousin just graduated from high school, he's a 6'5 left handed pitcher that throws 90 and Ohio State didn't want him. Apparently they're really good at evaluating talent. <_<

Or, maybe your cousin can't actually pitch and can just throw hard. Just saying though I get your point. I'm still laughing at OSU though. Two 20-run losses!

BC lost 4-3 to Army after having a 2-0 lead and is out of the tourney. :( Tough break after the 25-inning marathon with the best team in the country. Well, they sure had an eventful time, and you can't really question the fight in them. I'm proud of 'em!

There are a few issues with that, will.

One is that it's hard as hell for an indepedent to play a high caliber opponent every game, and since a baseball season is about 50-60 games long, chances of getting teams that could be NCAA bound are slim to none. Some of these schools are stuck playing low caliber teams or worst. How can anyone take a team seriously when they haven't beaten anyone worth a damn?

Also, what about other teams in the picture? There are teams that could of done well in conference play and would look better in the eyes of the Selection Committee then say, a 35-40 win independent team.

Oh, and one more thing: Ohio State fans may want to hide in the nearest corner when I say this... The Buckeyes are losing to Florida State to the tune of 21-0 in the Bottom of the 4th inning.

And here I was asking how Indiana got into this tournament. Does half of Division I get in or something?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Forget a 20 run lead for Florida State... Try a 30-run lead! The 'Noles lead 37-4 over the Buckeyes right now. I know there's a mercy rule in college baseball, but good gravy. Show some mercy on them poor kids.

Oh, and no. This isn't FCS Football, rams80. Come on now. :P

In all seriousness, Indiana got in by winning the Big Ten Tournament. Sometimes, a team gets hot at the right time and that can knock another team out of the picture.

Forget a 20 run lead for Florida State... Try a 30-run lead! The 'Noles lead 37-4 over the Buckeyes right now. I know there's a mercy rule in college baseball, but good gravy. Show some mercy on them poor kids.

In all seriousness, Indiana got in by winning the Big Ten Tournament. Sometimes, a team gets hot at the right time and that can knock another team out of the picture.

Oro?!

Shows how much I read the school newspaper and pay attention to non-revenue sports here.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In the Big 12, there is a mercy rule on Sunday's so the students can get back to school for the week. I'm not sure what the ruling would be here or if they are even still in school. Oh and, wow Seminoles! That is some good hitting.

Please tell me your logic behind thinking that way. Seriously. I am beginning to thinkyou are joking...or at least hoping that.

Next, research the last team that went undefeated in a college baseball season and report your results.

don't even try. For some reason in Willmorris' backward logic, winning a crappy conference means you're better than an undefeated independent. The man clearly never played sports so he says things like UNC basketball should go undefeated with their program or it's a disappointment or that a 1 seed in the NBA should go 16-0 or their accomplishment means nothing. His logic is so ridiculous and disjointed that getting into any argument is a waste of your time. Talk to us, the sane people.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Did the Ohio State football team show up and think they were playing a BCS game?

37-6? Yikes!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Did the Ohio State football team show up and think they were playing a BCS game?

37-6? Yikes!

That is what happens when you have no depth in the bullpen and throw everything you have at the big boys...you have nothing left to finish it off.

Talk to us, the sane people.

Thanks for the heads up...I was getting exhausted trying to push such a simple point across.

No mercy rule, but I think the NCAA should adopt a rule like, say, 10 runs after 7 played or 15 runs after 5 played.

Isn't that the definition of a Mercy Rule? If a team is up, say 10, after the 7th inning the game is over?

saBS.png

No mercy rule, but I think the NCAA should adopt a rule like, say, 10 runs after 7 played or 15 runs after 5 played.

Isn't that the definition of a Mercy Rule? If a team is up, say 10, after the 7th inning the game is over?

Some conferences have a mercy rule enforced, but it's not a universal NCAA rule.

Archived