Top 5 pink race cars of all time

spyboy1

Alex Lloyd got a lot of attention for racing a pink car sponsored by "her", a woman's energy drink in the Indy 500 this past weekend.

With that in mind, I compiled a list of the top 5 pink cars in racing history.

#5. Alex "Pink" Lloyd's "her" Energy Drink - 2009 Indy 500

AlexpinkLloyd2009Indyherdrink.jpg

#4. Dale Earnhardt's first car - 1956 Ford Victoria

DaleEarnhardtK-2DayvaultFord.jpg

"When it came time to paint the car, they mixed paint that they thought would go with the purple metal-flake roof, but some how the paint came out pink. They couldn't afford to re-paint the car, so that's how they raced it."

#3. 1955 Indy 500 Winner, the "John Zink Special" driven by Bob Sweikert

1955IndyWinnerTheJohnZinkSpecial.jpg

#2. 1978 future World Champion Keke Rosberg drives a Formula Atlantic racer sponsored by Excita Condoms in a car not only painted pink, but constructed in a unfortunately phallic shape as well. Check out the 'business end' of the Chevron!

A.jpg

#1. 1971 Porsche 917/20. Dubbed the "Pink Pig".

20PinkPig.jpg

When the car was first seen in public on the practice days for Le Mans, it was painted in Porsche factory white. The press immediately called it "the pig" due to it's portly dimensions and the name stuck.

To go with it's less than flattering nickname, the car received a pink paint job together with graphics representing a series of butchers cuts for pork! Martini, who were the main sponsors for the car in the 1971 race, were not impressed and refused to allow their logo to be shown on the car.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think you had better include this one, lest the CCSLC face the all-powerful wrath of Tom Cruise:

s46.jpg

I know this is the wrong time (and place) to say this, but suddenly that whole "Chuck Norris invented black/the whole specturm of color except pink/Tom Cruise invented pink" bit makes a good bit more sense to me now...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nice, quirky top five.....when I read the topic, my first thought was "I wonder if he put in the Pink Pig?"........(Take a bow,son. take a bow.)

family-feud.jpg

Survey says! <ding!> #1 Answer!!

Well done!

HansonsSig.jpg

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Ladies' energy drink? I did that as a project back in school. There were some scoffs and at least one person was asking if a billboard was showing too much leg. Go to Her's website and there's a woman shaving her leg (and another woman howling like a banshee).

My can looked better.

My Dad raced SCCA Club Racing for a number of years. A few years ago he decided to make the switch to the Spec Miata class. He found a used Miata in Wisconsin that he built into a race car. The car he bought was owned by a guy in his 20s who had bought the car for his girlfriend, painted it a bright metallic pink, and given it to her for her birthday. A few weeks later she dumped him and he was stuck with the car. For a while we had talked about keeping the car pink, with silver roof and vinyl graphics. Eventually we decided that pink wasn't the way to go for the Dead Skunk Racing team, and we went with Subaru WRX blue instead!

Photo

i have to admit, Lloyd's car has grown on me. maybe just because of the "pink lloyd" nickname though. id go with Cole Trickle's car (Cruise) for the win though

Reed Sorenson has also driven a pink car in NASCAR cup series. i think it was a breast cancer thing

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I immediately thought of the #46 Superflo car from Days of Thunder upon clicking this topic.

Bringing up two more obscure 1990s NASCAR drivers, I present to you the only other two pink cars I can think of.

Bobby Dotter's #08 from 1991-1992, raced in the Busch series. The sponsorship on the die-cast car is "Team R" and the crashed car appears unsponsored... I seem to recall the #08 having a specific sponsor at one time that explains the pink paint job, I just can't remember what it was.

dotter.jpg

A.JPG

Neil Bonnett/Jeff Purvis' #51 Country Time Lemonade car from 1994.

bonnett51.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I would not hesitate to replace Alex Lloyd's car in my top 5 with Shirley Muldowney. I failed to remember that one or have it turn up in my brief research while making my list.

Penelope Pitstop is also a fine contribution.

Did Fittipaldi race that car all season, or just a handful of races? It's a good contribution, but not Top 5 status.

I personally disallowed one-off breast cancer paint schemes from my list. Katherine Legge ran one in ChampCar.

HansonsSig.jpg

Is "Her" Alex Lloyd's full time sponsor this year? I'll be at the Mile this Saturday for the practice/qualifying day for the ABC Supply/A.J. Foyt 225. It would be pretty cool to see the rare beast known as the pink race car in all it's native habits, going fast around a track haha.

packchampionslfroh.png

Is "Her" Alex Lloyd's full time sponsor this year? I'll be at the Mile this Saturday for the practice/qualifying day for the ABC Supply/A.J. Foyt 225. It would be pretty cool to see the rare beast known as the pink race car in all it's native habits, going fast around a track haha.

I think that was an Indy only deal.

HansonsSig.jpg

Archived