New Twins Wordmark

no97

WOW! Beautiful picture, Twins fans have to be happy.

Really though, anything can be consiered 'beautiful' when compared to the Baggy Dome.

Never stepped foot in the Metrodome, or any state west of Illinois, but yeah, it looks bad, especially on TV for baseball games.

To watch a baseball game there in person is to gain a true understanding of its Godforsaken awfulness.

I've been in the Humperdome twice, once for a Twins/Royals game in the late 80s (trust, me, I know :\), and once to see the Stones on the Steel Wheels tour. It's pretty dismal.

Funny thing is, BC Place is an exact copy of it, and the gameday experience hasn't gotten any better. It's grey, bleak, and depressing. I hope that once the new roof goes on that things will significantly improve.

A game in that place, with the outside temperature any greater than, oh, 70 degrees turns the joint into an easy-bake oven. Not pretty.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New park and tweaked wordmark. Anyone have any hopes, fears or predictions for uniforms?

Hopes:

• I had been hoping for a one-color "TC" to fix the cap issue, but the dugouts show that won't happen
  • I hope they essentially keep the same home jersey, except that they remove the nameplate.
  • End up with only one alt and that it is different than a copy of the home (Like a TC on the chest)
  • Removing pinstripes from the roads

Fears:

• They have a new home uniform inspired by the current throwback uniform (with red/white/blue stripes on the collar/sleeves)
  • They make the red cap their primary home cap.

Predictions:

• They will dump the "M" cap. It's not that well liked here and it's a dwindling part of their identity. Plus the tweaked wordmark is trying to help make the TC fit.
  • In so doing, they will want a new primary cap. I'll predict a red home primary with the blue on the road. (Long shot: keep current cap at home and go to something with a white front on the road...1980s style).
  • They will keep the essence of their home uniform, with the only change being the new wordmark. I hate to say it, but I think they'll leave the name plates.
  • Road uniform is tougher to predict. Do they keep the pinstripes? Put "Twins" on it? A new "Minnesota" workmark? I'll predict a new "Minnesota" workmark based somewhat on the new "Twins" wordmark. Further, I'll predict no pinstripes.
  • Alt: One alt uniform. Blue version of their home jersey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's been quite a few years since I've seen a Twins game at the Dome, but I certainly don't remember finding it repulsive. It's definitely not the prettiest ballpark around, but it worked as a ballfield and that was good enough for me.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Wow. I had yet to see a really good rendering of what the skyline view would be. The only thing that could improve that would be to knock down the boring, boring, boring City Center building so you would see Minneapolis' most attractive building, the art deco Wells Fargo Center that it's blocking.

It's a shame that 33 South Sixth -- I think we called it the Pillsbury Tower back in the day -- is visible at all. Thing is an absolute blight on the landscape, and it's even worse that it blocks the view of Wells Fargo from the new ballpark. Aside from being the most attractive office building in the non-Chicago Midwest, the Wells Fargo building would nicely complement the ballpark itself.

(For what it's worth, I worked on an upper floor of the Wells Fargo building for a while in the 1990s, when it was still the NorWest tower, and it's the best skyscraper on the inside that I've ever been in. Just a great building all around.)

I think the Pillsbury tower is behind the 33 South Sixth. I don't believe they are the same.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I can't tell from the pic, is the Foshay Tower visible from the park, or no? This is the one building we always looked for when we hit the Cities (no idea why), I think it's just a nostalgia thing.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think the Pillsbury tower is behind the 33 South Sixth. I don't believe they are the same.

You're probably right; I haven't lived in Minneapolis since '98, and since then they've renamed everything except the Foshay Tower.

20082614447.png

I can't tell from the pic, is the Foshay Tower visible from the park, or no? This is the one building we always looked for when we hit the Cities (no idea why), I think it's just a nostalgia thing.

That's funny. I always did the same thing, for no particular reason.

The Foshay is awesome. It's a 'W' hotel now (still called the Foshay though). I got a discounted room once so we stayed there. Pretty sweet.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

New park and tweaked wordmark. Anyone have any hopes, fears or predictions for uniforms?

Hopes:

• I had been hoping for a one-color "TC" to fix the cap issue, but the dugouts show that won't happen
  • I hope they essentially keep the same home jersey, except that they remove the nameplate.
  • End up with only one alt and that it is different than a copy of the home (Like a TC on the chest)

Fears:

• They have a new home uniform inspired by the current throwback uniform (with red/white/blue stripes on the collar/sleeves)
  • They make the red cap their primary home cap.

Predictions:

• They will dump the "M" cap. It's not that well liked here and it's a dwindling part of their identity. Plus the tweaked wordmark is trying to help make the TC fit.
  • In so doing, they will want a new primary cap. I'll predict a red home primary with the blue on the road. (Long shot: keep current cap at home and go to something with a white front on the road...1980s style).
  • They will keep the essence of their home uniform, with the only change being the new wordmark. I hate to say it, but I think they'll leave the name plates.
  • Road uniform is tougher to predict. Do they keep the pinstripes? Put "Twins" on it? A new "Minnesota" workmark? I'll predict a new "Minnesota" workmark based somewhat on the new "Twins" wordmark. Further, I'll predict no pinstripes.
  • Alt: One alt uniform. Blue version of their home jersey.

I think you're right on most. I have this feeling they will mix the throwbacks and the currents. New word mark on throwbacks, essentially.

I'd love to see a new MINNESOTA script. The Athletic font doesn't do much.

I'd also love to see a TC on a white sleeveless, with piping, like the old Indians alts with the indian logo on it (with I hats.)

It's been quite a few years since I've seen a Twins game at the Dome, but I certainly don't remember finding it repulsive. It's definitely not the prettiest ballpark around, but it worked as a ballfield and that was good enough for me.

It's not bad in small doses... I used to love coming up to Minneapolis and going to a game (from Iowa). But now that I live here and every MLB game that I go to is in that hellhole, I hate it. There have been games that my buddies and I were going to go to, but it was such a beautiful night, we didn't want to waste it in the dome. I don't know, it just seems like you're getting ripped off part of the actual baseball experience at the Dome.

I love going to ballgames by myself; I can always pay more attention that way. Doesn't happen so much with the Metrodome. I'll go if the Royals are in town or friends want to go see the Twins. If I'm just going by myself to watch a game a baseball, I'd much rather walk down to Midway Stadium and see the Saints. That park's not much nicer, but the Metrodome is a bubbly bastion of baseball blasphemy and it needs to go away.

It's not bad in small doses... I used to love coming up to Minneapolis and going to a game (from Iowa). But now that I live here and every MLB game that I go to is in that hellhole, I hate it. There have been games that my buddies and I were going to go to, but it was such a beautiful night, we didn't want to waste it in the dome. I don't know, it just seems like you're getting ripped off part of the actual baseball experience at the Dome.

My description of watching a Twins game at the Dome:

It's exactly like watching the game on TV in your own living room, except the view isn't as good and the seats aren't as comfortable.

I have many fond memories at the Dome, but honestly, of all the big-league ballparks I've ever been to, the Metrodome is my least favorite. Part of the problem is that as a dual-use stadium, the seats are aligned for football. So except for a few sections scattered around the corners of the park, the seats don't face toward the diamond. Sit down the baseline a ways and you have to turn almost 45 degrees in your seat to watch the game. Much of the outfield is almost as bad.

One advantage of the Dome: sometime in the mid-1980s, a severe thunderstorm that dropped tornados all around the Metro area passed directly over Minneapolis. Funnel clouds reported over downtown and everything. Turned the roof of the Dome an eery green color for about half an hour; looked like something out of a sci-fi horror movie. Lightning, thunder, hail, the whole shebang. Yet the game played on, uninterrupted.

20082614447.png

What, exactly, is the "cap issue"?

And I love the red cap. Any chance to get one less navy cap in MLB I'll take.

What he said. What's the issue?

The cap issue is that the red C doesn't have enough contrast against the navy cap. The thing would be a lot better if the T and C were white outlined in red, or if the T was outlined in red, and the C in white.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The cap issue is that the red C doesn't have enough contrast against the navy cap. The thing would be a lot better if the T and C were white outlined in red, or if the T was outlined in red, and the C in white.

Hmm. I've never thought that. Not once. And now that you've brought it to my attention...

I still don't think that. At all. The interlocking TC is one of my fav caps. Love the red, really like the navy. Trying to picture it your way, and I don't think I'd like it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping they keep the blue TC cap at home just the way it is and for the road, I'd like to see them go with a blue crown and red visor, the same combination as their current BP caps.

31542.jpg

I did see one cap at the game yesterday I don't think I've ever seen before that really caught my eye. It was a blue crown with red front panels and a blue visor. The T was white and the C was blue against the red background. It was pretty sharp.

The one other cap I wouldn't mind seeing them use would be one that matches Mauer's home catching helmet, the blue crown with white front panels and a red visor.

27488.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The white front panel solves the "issue", but probably wouldn't look that good as part of a full uniform set, unless they lost the pinstripes from their jerseys. Even then, it'd look kind of gimmicky.

I would like to see them use more red and white though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The white front panel solves the "issue", but probably wouldn't look that good as part of a full uniform set, unless they lost the pinstripes from their jerseys. Even then, it'd look kind of gimmicky.

I would like to see them use more red and white though.

I'd like to see them use a bit more red also. I lean toward the one uniform combo out of the team's 36 possible uniform combinations they have never worn: regular home pinstripes with the cap that has the red crown and blue bill. But the one thing the Twins must never do, under any circumstances, is wear a blue cap with a red bill. The Twins do not need to look more like Cleveland.

The MLB channel showed some classic games over the weekend, and so I got to watch the Twins play the Dodgers in game four of the '65 World Series. It was in black and white, and the "C" on the Twins caps was literally invisible. All you could see was a T with a break near the bottom of the letter.

20082614447.png

Archived